UK pledges £1.3 billion in support for Ukraine’s fight against Putin’s Russia

Started by Thomas, May 08, 2022, 06:46:29 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on May 08, 2022, 11:16:55 PM
Yes what you say does beggar belief,and reminds us of what and who?

Oh yeah good old Neville

"In this broadcast, Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain speaks about his efforts to obtain a peaceful solution to the Sudeten dispute, which he refers to as a "quarrel in a far away country, between people of whom we know nothing".

And that went well didn't it?

History can and does repeat itself,learning from it seems a good idea.
if in doubt , fall back on the old tried and trusted nazis eh cromwell? Except this time you are cheering them on?

62 countires around the world laughing at your country lecturing others on illegal invasions.

Have you complied with the un resolution backed by the worlds nations to hand back the chagos islands yet? No dont want to talk about that , do you?

You love a good sob story to cry into bed at night cromwell. Your media set up an evil dicatator , in this case putin , and irrespective the rights and wrongs , you ignore the complicated arguments and boil it down to good versus evil in some tolkienesque fairy story.

Practice what you preach. The british empire which you love was one of the most evil in history , responsible for the death of millions pillage rape and destruction .Perhaps you should start there.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

The money is just numbers on a balance sheet to me . I take it this money will be taken out of the foriegn aid budget which is set by a UN agreement at 0.7% of GDP and in 2020 was £14 billion . Which sort of puts it into perspective .

I think letting Putin know that Russian agression and Russian atrocities will be met with sanctions was a legitimate first step as was supplying arms to Ukraine when Russia invaded .

As the war progresses though I get the feeling we are just prolonging Ukraines agony . They will not win anything but medals for heroics and should be seeking a deal that would bring an end to the war .  

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on May 08, 2022, 06:46:29 AM
The UK will provide an extra £1.3 billion in military support to Ukraine, in a dramatic escalation of assistance for Volodymyr Zelenskyy's forces as they fight the Russian invasion.
It is the highest rate of UK military spending on a conflict since the height of the campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, US President Joe Biden and leaders from other G7 nations will hold talks with Ukrainian president Mr Zelenskyy on Sunday to discuss the further support on offer.

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/uk-pledges-13-billion-in-support-for-ukraines-fight-against-putins-russia/288926

What do my english friends think on this story? While england , and the yookay in general  , reels from succesive blows to the economy , highest increase of gas and electric costs in europe , predictions of continuing doom and gloom of the economy so much so bojo has been told to call an elections as it isnt going to improve , the uk government try and grandstand o nthe world stage pretending to be a world power throwing money it can't afford to some obscure eastern european nation most folk have never heard of.

It really does begger belief.

The delusion starts at the top in westmisnter and works its way down to the citizenry. Inflation out of control , taxation under a tory government at a seventy year high , folk scared to put lights and fires on , uk debt levels out of control , and boris throws more money about whilest kidding himself and the party faithfull on. unbelievable.
Yes what you say does beggar belief,and reminds us of what and who?

Oh yeah good old Neville

"In this broadcast, Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain speaks about his efforts to obtain a peaceful solution to the Sudeten dispute, which he refers to as a "quarrel in a far away country, between people of whom we know nothing".

And that went well didn't it?

History can and does repeat itself,learning from it seems a good idea.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 08, 2022, 01:45:33 PM

Ok.

Heres the thing. I hear all sorts of rhetoric about this bringing a boost to our defence industry but I can't see it. We don't have a decent aircraft industry, the armoured vehicles are a bit of a joke.
I fully agree , and it sounds like nothing more than a cop out excuse from tory party hq.

Raising taxes to a 70 year high , while telling freezing pensioners and poor they can't afford to nationalise the uk struggling energy sector , while then simultaneously telling us we are investing £1.3 billion of taxpayers hard earned cash in some foreign no hope war isnt going down well with joe public.

johnofgwent

The UK will provide an extra £1.3 billion in military support to Ukraine, in a dramatic escalation of assistance for Volodymyr Zelenskyy's forces as they fight the Russian invasion.
It is the highest rate of UK military spending on a conflict since the height of the campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, US President Joe Biden and leaders from other G7 nations will hold talks with Ukrainian president Mr Zelenskyy on Sunday to discuss the further support on offer.

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/uk-pledges-13-billion-in-support-for-ukraines-fight-against-putins-russia/288926

What do my english friends think on this story? While england , and the yookay in general  , reels from succesive blows to the economy , highest increase of gas and electric costs in europe , predictions of continuing doom and gloom of the economy so much so bojo has been told to call an elections as it isnt going to improve , the uk government try and grandstand o nthe world stage pretending to be a world power throwing money it can't afford to some obscure eastern european nation most folk have never heard of.

The delusion starts at the top in westmisnter and works its way down to the citizenry. Inflation out of control , taxation under a tory government at a seventy year high , folk scared to put lights and fires on , uk debt levels out of control , and boris throws more money about whilest kidding himself and the party faithfull on. unbelievable.

Ok.

Heres the thing. I hear all sorts of rhetoric about this bringing a boost to our defence industry but I can't see it. We don't have a decent aircraft industry, the armoured vehicles are a bit of a joke.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on May 08, 2022, 10:24:09 AM
A whinge? Really,no just replying in kind to your...... humour?

As for delusions,we haven't got an empire it went an age ago but you still hold an interest in it.

As for the young people of this country they'll make their own choices in their own time  for good or ill as past generations.

Im not in any way saying you shouldn't dare to ask what the hell you like,just replying in a way you disapprove of......how dare I?

Anyway can't say much more now have to get the starting handle out,fire up the model T and hope none of the valves are broken so I can listen to the wireless as I trundle along.......that's humour btw the way and lame or not you're the expert :P
im sure when the mancs are off down to the foodbank , they will feel safe in the knowledge that "we stopped Vlad". :D

Sinn fein first minister  , northern ireland annexed by the EU , boris failed to deliver brexit , and now trying to divert attention from domestic problems by waffling on about ukraine .

Im not an expert , im just a humble guy talking shite about politics but i can smell anglo saxon bullshit a mile off.

The big big issues of the day your politicians are failing to address , while your media sell the comfort blanket of stopping vlad in some unknown foreign country. :D

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on May 08, 2022, 10:08:13 AM
You havent told me what you think prior to this post. Instead ,  i got some lame half hearted whinge asking me why im daring to question dear leaders extravagent misues of uk taxpyers funds to bolster his delusion as an international icon.
What sort of reply is this? Another weak diversion? Dont you worry about referendums mate , lets us worry about it. The question was should the uk prime minisnter be wasting taxpayers money he can't afford on ukrainian vantiy projects. Scotland sadly is still part of the uk , so until that changes hopefully sooner rather than later , we are of course allowed to ask relevant questions like this.i think we both know each others position , especailly with your vitue signalling ukrainian flag next to your avatar.

The yookay isnt a world power , it isnt the worlds policement , and wether or not putin needs stopped , the question is can the uk afford to be wasting taxpayers money in this fashion while the uk economy is being wrecked ?

Thats all i asked.

Still suits me. While you and yours are giving yourself a big warm hug over events in ukraine and the empire standing up to the latest james bond villain , the uk moves ever closer to breakdown ,brexit is a mess , economy going south and the two main political parties in england in meltdown.

oh look theres a squirrel in ukraine?

I feel sorry for the young english kids growing up in a country full of delusional old men fantasising about empire and englandshire punching above its weight. Im sure £1.3 billion of hard earned taxpayers money "to stop vlad " :D is going to make the avergae joe feel better when he can't afford to heat his home this winter  in broken brexit britian.
A whinge? Really,no just replying in kind to your...... humour?

As for delusions,we haven't got an empire it went an age ago but you still hold an interest in it.

As for the young people of this country they'll make their own choices in their own time  for good or ill as past generations.

Im not in any way saying you shouldn't dare to ask what the hell you like,just replying in a way you disapprove of......how dare I?

Anyway can't say much more now have to get the starting handle out,fire up the model T and hope none of the valves are broken so I can listen to the wireless as I trundle along.......that's humour btw the way and lame or not you're the expert :P

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on May 08, 2022, 09:57:24 AM
You asked what we thought,and I've just replied which you think lame along with vimto,gramophones,Arabs,Manchester and me too.

Anyway in reply to your question you should up the stakes and get a referendum sooner rather than later and see your own choice of leader spend (or waste) your hard earned.

Its a complicated question to answer in full but my belief is Putin should be stopped........Russia though deserves better and just maybe western attitudes might change toward them in the future.
You havent told me what you think prior to this post. Instead ,  i got some lame half hearted whinge asking me why im daring to question dear leaders extravagent misues of uk taxpyers funds to bolster his delusion as an international icon.

QuoteAnyway in reply to your question you should up the stakes and get a referendum sooner rather than later and see your own choice of leader spend (or waste) your hard earned.
What sort of reply is this? Another weak diversion? Dont you worry about referendums mate , lets us worry about it. The question was should the uk prime minisnter be wasting taxpayers money he can't afford on ukrainian vanity projects. Scotland sadly is still part of the uk , so until that changes hopefully sooner rather than later , we are of course allowed to ask relevant questions like this.
Its a complicated question to answer in full but my belief is Putin should be stopped
i think we both know each others position , especailly with your vitue signalling ukrainian flag next to your avatar.

The yookay isnt a world power , it isnt the worlds policeman , and wether or not putin needs stopped , the question is can the uk afford to be wasting taxpayers money in this fashion while the uk economy is being wrecked ?

Thats all i asked.

Still suits me. While you and yours are giving yourself a big warm hug over events in ukraine and the empire standing up to the latest james bond villain , the uk moves ever closer to breakdown ,brexit is a mess , economy going south and the two main political parties in england in meltdown.

oh look theres a squirrel in ukraine?

I feel sorry for the young english kids growing up in a country full of delusional old men fantasising about empire and englandshire punching above its weight. Im sure £1.3 billion of hard earned taxpayers money "to stop vlad " :D is going to make the average joe feel better when he can't afford to heat his home this winter  in broken brexit britian.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on May 08, 2022, 09:48:02 AM
i stand by what i said and you seem to be making an extremely lame point. I had lost interest in this foreign war , until i read about your prime mininster giving me and my countrymens hard earned cash away to foreigners while the uk economy , of which your nation and its government control the vast majority of levers and taxes , goes down the pan.

Are you suggesting we sit back , know our place as mere jocks and dont voice any protest about the misuse of our taxes while people are faced with choosing between heating and eating in broken "bwitain"?
You asked what we thought,and I've just replied which you think lame along with vimto,gramophones,Arabs,Manchester and me too.

Anyway in reply to your question you should up the stakes and get a referendum sooner rather than later and see your own choice of leader spend (or waste) your hard earned.

Its a complicated question to answer in full but my belief is Putin should be stopped........Russia though deserves better and just maybe western attitudes might change toward them in the future.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on May 08, 2022, 09:37:55 AM
Well Thomas you said this in reply to T00ts.......and yet less than 24 hours later and a new topic,five posts on this very subject.

Your interest reawakened, Rant
i stand by what i said and you seem to be making an extremely lame point. I had lost interest in this foreign war , until i read about your prime mininster giving me and my countrymens hard earned cash away to foreigners while the uk economy , of which your nation and its government control the vast majority of levers and taxes , goes down the pan.

Are you suggesting we sit back , know our place as mere jocks and dont voice any protest about the misuse of our taxes while people are faced with choosing between heating and eating in broken "bwitain"?

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on May 07, 2022, 04:59:59 PM
has anyone won yet?

Lost interest a long time ago in this , people believe what they want to belive. On a serious note ,there wont be any winners at all in this , and the ukrainians , who are being given a right using , are going to spend years trying desperately to repair the mess the yanks and biden have left them in.

I suppose the "ukraine war" serves a necessary purpose in taking people minds off the disaster in the uk at the minute though. If o neil become first minister of the 6 counties , that might focus some minds away from events in some unknown country on the other side of europe most folk hadnt heard of before this year.
Well Thomas you said this in reply to T00ts.......and yet less than 24 hours later and a new topic,five posts on this very subject.

Your interest reawakened, Rant

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on May 08, 2022, 08:58:42 AM
I don't think we should be doing this. Selling arms, or supplying on tick is one thing. But giving them away is another and supports Putin's cry that we are acting as if Ukraine is in NATO.
Thanks for the honest reply barry. I know the interwebby isnt the best barometer at times , but judging from comments im reading on differing platforms , while johnson might delusionally think this makes him look like an international statesman , its going down rather badly across the uk.

The economy is worsening and along with your valid comments above , people are crying charity begins at home.

Johnson must thank his lucky stars he faces a clown like keir starmer , as any other capable politician would have him for breakfast at uk level .

Barry

I don't think we should be doing this. Selling arms, or supplying on tick is one thing. But giving them away is another and supports Putin's cry that we are acting as if Ukraine is in NATO.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 08, 2022, 08:49:02 AM
Forty years ago i would have been all for it, but then again, it would have been my weapons they were buying.
...and now you rent the yanks weapons and use their tech.

What do you think though john? Should boris be getting extravagent with money he cant afford or not? Especially in a country that by all intents and purposes is a lost cause in terms of military conflict?