Macron's invitation to the UK

Started by T00ts, May 09, 2022, 10:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on May 29, 2022, 10:30:39 AM
Probably.

I dare say that Boris and Co would be delighted to see a new party arise and split the Labour party vote, but the odds are against it. It is a bit like Sammy the Seal up north. Lots of fun, fuss and fireworks, but Salmond and Alba (why did he name the new party after a pub?) still failed to gain a council at the last election and Wee Krankie still snarled on.
Alba are growing slowly but surely. If they keep holding sturgeons feet to the fire like farage did in england with the tories regarding the brexit ref without actually winning at westmisnter , then Alba will have done thier job.

I agree with what you are saying about the odds being stacked against new parties in England especially. You never know though. It wasnt that long ago they laughed on forums like this about ukip and the snp , and other so called smaller fringe parties.

Its going to be hilarious if starmer gets in and is forced to actually confront issues in terms of producing policy rather than sitting on his hands carping as normal.

Politics has got fun again borkie .

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on May 29, 2022, 09:06:01 AM
think on the brightside toots. Everytime blair appears , labours vote goes down. beer korma must be facepalming every time blair appears in the media.

I do wonder if johnson and the other party leaders are egging blair on ?

Probably.

I dare say that Boris and Co would be delighted to see a new party arise and split the Labour party vote, but the odds are against it. It is a bit like Sammy the Seal up north. Lots of fun, fuss and fireworks, but Salmond and Alba (why did he name the new party after a pub?) still failed to gain a council at the last election and Wee Krankie still snarled on.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on May 28, 2022, 09:13:50 PM
Someone said it before that leave a void and something despicable will occupy it.
think on the brightside toots. Everytime blair appears , labours vote goes down. beer korma must be facepalming every time blair appears in the media.

I do wonder if johnson and the other party leaders are egging blair on ?

T00ts

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 10, 2022, 02:16:58 PM
He would be dissapointed on that , the trophy is already in Kiev
As we have seen in recent days tony blairs slimy hands are back interfering in politics once again.

On the subject of macron  , i was just reading this mate.

Blair is wrong: the future of Britain shouldn't involve Macron

Tony Blair believes the way forward for Britain is to seek guidance from Emmanuel Macron. The former British prime minister has a reputation for outlandish claims but the suggestion that the United Kingdom can benefit from pearls of wisdom proffered by the most divisive president in the history of the Fifth Republic is baffling even by Blair's standards.

According to Politico, Blair will host a Future of Britain conference on June 30, which is a collaboration between his eponymous Institute and the Britain Project, a centrist think tank that was established in the wake of the 2019 general election and which is described by Politico as the 'British version of Emmanuel Macron's La République En Marche'.
The objective of the conference, which will be hosted by former BBC broadcasters Jon Sopel and Emily Maitlis, is a progressive brainstorm to find solutions to the challenges of climate change, the economy and technology. If all goes well it could lead to the creation of a new political party.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/blair-is-wrong-the-future-of-britain-shouldn-t-involve-macron

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 10, 2022, 07:07:51 AM
I'd say "a demand that France win Eurovision"

He would be dissapointed on that , the trophy is already in Kiev 

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on May 10, 2022, 09:53:47 AM
Is he actually acknowledging that the U.K. is the only European country with any balls?
Could be.

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on May 10, 2022, 09:12:50 AM
OK this will be unpopular on here but look further in to this,status of where we were in the common market is sensible because trade with close neighbours make sense.

Cooperation is fine by me both economic and security/defence,we know now the US is unreliable,people circulation (Macron speak for free movement) is off limits.

Everything is worth looking at and negotiating on.
But Macron is calling for a political organisation, not an economic one, and requires those applying to share his core values, which we clearly don't, otherwise we would have voted remain.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on May 10, 2022, 07:42:46 AM
brittany and normandy was never "yours" john.

You belonged to them mate.

See that wee guy who sailed over in 1066? Well he was a frenchman , spoke french , french manners and dress , and had a bit of viking blood in his veins.

For the next three hundred or more years , England and south wales was the armpit of the angevin empire. When english john wanted to build a shed in his back garden in dagenham , he had to travel over to poitiers to ask permission from his french king.

"Britian" as you put it is doomed john , you do realise that? If it doesnt split apart , and johnson has got the ball rolling with handing northern ireland over to europe , its going to be swallowed into the united states of europe.

Still stories like this keep the gold clubs of middle england in a fury  , brexiters in power , and johnson as the darling of the nutters in anglo saxon land , so its all good.
"That bloke" gave my direct ancestor through my father  most of Northampton for services rendered. That they sold a chunk to a wunch of bankers who now occupy it as Barclaycard HQ is not my problem 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

OK this will be unpopular on here but look further in to this,status of where we were in the common market is sensible because trade with close neighbours make sense.

Cooperation is fine by me both economic and security/defence,we know now the US is unreliable,people circulation (Macron speak for free movement) is off limits.

Is he actually acknowledging that the U.K. is the only European country with any balls? 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on May 10, 2022, 09:40:09 AM
But this is claimed as purely a political alliance. I thought that was the main reason for us leaving.
I think he was talking shared ideals when I look elsewhere in to this.

Like I say doing a DeGaulle non to everything is daft we should be open to cooperation but not rejoining.

T00ts

But this is claimed as purely a political alliance. I thought that was the main reason for us leaving.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on May 10, 2022, 09:34:52 AM
you will get strung up for saying that cromwell. Wasnt that common market malarkey what got you in trouble in the first place?

( sorry got a spare ten minutes or so.) :)
Well the common market wasn't a bad idea at all,political union is.

As far as the military goes standard ammo across the board and cooperation in high tech too,an eu army,no.

Thomas

you will get strung up for saying that cromwell. Wasnt that common market malarkey what got you in trouble in the first place?

( sorry got a spare ten minutes or so.) :)