Charles to open Parliament

Started by T00ts, May 10, 2022, 09:32:36 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on May 11, 2022, 11:09:24 AM
To be honest Tommy, a few minor scuffles at the arse end of the empire weren't likely to appear on any school's history curriculum. And the important point is that two years afterwards, the Scots were queuing up for invites to George IV's fancy dress parties.
it was a major event that involved the british army being sent in , baird hardie and others being executed , hundreds shot and thousands transported to the colonies , and the british imperial labour party trying to cover up the burial ground in sighthill cemetary and wipe it from scottish history.

The point is , you made a claim that the scots seemed keen on george the fourth , and i was just helping you out. Wether or not you british like to contain uncomfortable truths in your ladybird books of british history is neither here no there.

We dont forget.

...and we teach our children ,and our childrens children.

You know i come on here to debate politics borkie ,and like a laugh when appropriate like the next man. We have a giggle now and then , especially when politics is boring.

We have just had an election , its getting interesting again , and still you are doing the uncle albert mickey flanagan routine. You are no even funny the majority of the time , and F@@@ knows whats witty about talking bollocks about history.

But fer fecks sake borkie , can we at least make the pretence of debating politics now and again without the del boy and rodney routine?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on May 11, 2022, 07:54:28 AM
george the fourth? 

The guy who was king when the scottish insurrection of 1820 happened , where the united scotsmen sought to overthrow the union and set up a scottish republic and get rid of the monarchy?

I tell you borkie , i do wonder at times about the low grade history lessons they teach in your country .

Still why let fact get in the way of a poor attempt at a witty remark in defence of the empire.:D

To be honest Tommy, a few minor scuffles at the arse end of the empire weren't likely to appear on any school's history curriculum. And the important point is that two years afterwards, the Scots were queuing up for invites to George IV's fancy dress parties.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on May 11, 2022, 07:37:24 AM
You mean no more men wearing frocks? Well, no one liked George IV, but the Scots seem keen on the idea
george the fourth?  

The guy who was king when the scottish insurrection of 1820 happened , where the united scotsmen sought to overthrow the union and set up a scottish republic and get rid of the monarchy?

I tell you borkie , i do wonder at times about the low grade history lessons they teach in your country .

Still why let fact get in the way of a poor attempt at a witty remark in defence of the empire.:D

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on May 11, 2022, 07:12:20 AM.

The site of all that pomp and idiotic 19th century ceremony turns the stomach of the vast majority of scots.

You mean no more men wearing frocks? Well, no one liked George IV, but the Scots seem keen on the idea
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on May 10, 2022, 11:41:59 AM
What a churlish lot you are. You hate the monarchy but what would you put in it's place?
Scottish indy and a scottish republic. Make no mistake , your monarchy is gone the first chance we get.

The site of all that pomp and idiotic 19th century ceremony turns the stomach of the vast majority of scots.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on May 10, 2022, 09:01:22 PM
The mask is beginning to slip there Duckie.

What exactly is wrong with being a South American?
;D

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on May 10, 2022, 07:09:12 PM
Does he need to dress up like a 1970's dictator from some South American country? Dancing

The mask is beginning to slip there Duckie.

What exactly is wrong with being a South American?
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: HDQQ on May 10, 2022, 07:09:12 PM
Does he need to dress up like a 1970's dictator from some South American country? Dancing
You mock but perhaps you would be happier to send this country into a boring grey suited republic. It's tradition, and apart from anything else how many foreigners arrive here in the hope of seeing some of the pageantry? We have a history that is worth honouring. Other countries try hard to copy what we have but they don't come close, even the USA tries hard to emulate what we do and make a real hash of it.

HDQQ

Does he need to dress up like a 1970's dictator from some South American country? Dancing
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 10, 2022, 03:27:14 PM
No toots

As I have repeatedly said I favour the approach adopted by the Netherlands. Monarchy is a job for a young man / woman.

We have a geriatric on the throne who should have taken retirement decades ago.

Would you relish her workload ?

The problem here is that Abdication is seen in terms of the antics of Edward the Eighth

In Holland Beatrix got the job from Juliana and has herself handed the job on. Because the Dutch reckon their working royals ought to be given the job before grandma pops her clogs ...
That's as may be and perhaps that is where we will end up. William has already voiced the thought of our monarchy  becoming more European in nature but, the Queen as oft quoted, made a promise to serve all her life. Did she think she would still be here now? Of course not but she comes from a time when a promise was a promise. It's a shame that that is another tradition that has died. She is quietly handing over but she will keep her promise. She is a wise old head and goodness don't we need that at the moment? 
I am not a worshipper of the young. We have all been there and thought we knew it all. It was never true and still isn't. They are wonderful of course and I love them all but sage they are not, and time changes ideas and understandings. So God save the Queen for as long as He wishes her to be here. I am quite sure that when her time comes she will feel that she has done her duty and the rest of us should just be grateful to her for a job pretty well done. Would Charles as a young man have been a great King? I think not.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on May 10, 2022, 11:41:59 AM
What a churlish lot you are. You hate the monarchy but what would you put in it's place? I might point out that the grass is not necessarily greener and what is wrong with tradition? We have had a long reign by the current Queen but the future looks very much as if they wish to modernise. The Queen has done pretty well to hold it all together considering the many bit players on the sidelines, but it isn't always a good plan to blow everything up just because tradition has become a dirty word.
No toots

As I have repeatedly said I favour the approach adopted by the Netherlands. Monarchy is a job for a young man / woman.

We have a geriatric on the throne who should have taken retirement decades ago. 

Would you relish her workload ? 

The problem here is that Abdication is seen in terms of the antics of Edward the Eighth

In Holland Beatrix got the job from Juliana and has herself handed the job on. Because the Dutch reckon their working royals ought to be given the job before grandma pops her clogs ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 10, 2022, 12:58:13 PM
I read last somewhere that Charlie and William were to represent the Queen and sit in the little chairs leaving the big chair empty which would have meant civies .

I think Camilla may have gate crashed it which meant Charlie having to sit in the big chair which means putting on the fancy dress 

Its all about which chair you sit in ;)
Yes you are right. Charles was on the throne I just looked again.

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 10, 2022, 01:29:07 PM
;D;D

Might bring back some old traditions Toots

Sedan Chair Race (1967) - YouTube
LOL Great fun! I'm sure the Queen must have a suitable one already somewhere tucked away but if not a quick design competition might be right. Come on Charles or William get on it!!

Streetwalker

T00ts

Jeremy Vine, as is his way, is currently discussing mobility issues and the Queen today. The steps etc would not allow a wheelchair or similar up to the throne, so I have an answer I think. 

A Sedan chair carried by a couple of burly Guards Officers.