Hunt tests the water

Started by T00ts, May 13, 2022, 02:58:13 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Can't see Hunt being in the running until honesty and politeness comes back into fashion...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on May 13, 2022, 04:14:42 PM
I think Jeremy Hunt was a pretty good health secretary. However he has been an advocate of severe non pharmaceutical interventions for the pandemic, which would have destroyed even more of the economy than the current shower have managed.
I don't think he is a leader, probably a good member of a team, but not a Prime Minister.

As you say, testing the water, but just because he was second to Boris in 2019 does not mean he would be a popular choice post Brexit.
There are matters for the future of the country which need new thinking, outside of the EU, and I suspect Hunt still harks back to the days of our membership and would try to slide us back in under the door.
I have to say that I was thinking more or less the same. I just can't see a Boris successor although Lord Frost is about to throw away his peerage to re-enter the Commons. One to watch perhaps.

Barry

I think Jeremy Hunt was a pretty good health secretary. However he has been an advocate of severe non pharmaceutical interventions for the pandemic, which would have destroyed even more of the economy than the current shower have managed.
I don't think he is a leader, probably a good member of a team, but not a Prime Minister.

As you say, testing the water, but just because he was second to Boris in 2019 does not mean he would be a popular choice post Brexit.
There are matters for the future of the country which need new thinking, outside of the EU, and I suspect Hunt still harks back to the days of our membership and would try to slide us back in under the door.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Jeremy Hunt once again raises his head above the parapet just enough to get a little look, set on another bid for PM should Boris or backbenchers finally decide enough's enough. When he stood last time  I was of the opinion that he was ok except that he was a remainer and I fear deep down still is. 

He appears a mild sort of character except when I have heard him holding the NHS to account but at this time is he really a tad too polite for high office? These are not really polite times. Boris is a bit of a maverick perhaps, he walks his own course and where this can be annoying there have been times when I have been somewhat grateful for his cavalier attitude. If we are to survive in the big wide world after Brexit others need to know that we can't be walked on.

Since we 'left' too many other distractions involving life and death have once again put Government of the country on a back foot and we are still fighting on a 'who shouts loudest' agenda, but I think given time we will get a working relationship with the EU that will not involve their domination tactics. Just as it took years to entwine us in the EU web it will take time to finally untie the knots. The problem I have is that Hunt may actually quite like a bit of EU bondage and with a Chinese wife much as I hate to refer to it, may actually have some split loyalty to deal with and in the same way that Rishi has slipped from favour Hunt may worry some.

Perhaps for the time being we are better with the devil we already know.