Privately educated boys disadvantaged

Started by T00ts, May 13, 2022, 05:49:52 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Margaret Roberts' father was a tobacconist and grocer and became Mayor of Grantham, but apart from those details, you're basically correct...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on May 13, 2022, 05:49:52 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10811679/Cambridge-academic-says-privately-educated-white-boys-disadvantaged-university-admissions.html

Go to a private school and the chances of getting into Oxbridge are diminishing fast. This professor suggests that the time has come for an applicant's school to be omitted from the application form so that the best would get places with no judgement on perceived 'privilege'. It's hardly fair to judge a boy on his parent's decisions. The upshot will be that once again choices will be made and possibly some of the best brains will go abroad.
Maggie was an Oxbridge student from a humble greengrocer family. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on May 13, 2022, 05:49:52 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10811679/Cambridge-academic-says-privately-educated-white-boys-disadvantaged-university-admissions.html

Go to a private school and the chances of getting into Oxbridge are diminishing fast. This professor suggests that the time has come for an applicant's school to be omitted from the application form so that the best would get places with no judgement on perceived 'privilege'. It's hardly fair to judge a boy on his parent's decisions. The upshot will be that once again choices will be made and possibly some of the best brains will go abroad.

Ultimately that will be Oxbridge's loss. Both Universities rely less on the quality of the teaching staff and more on that of the students. An example of this is my daughter, who made a point of turning up at Edinburgh University on the first day of term to collect her grant and would disappear until the next payday. I remember telling my poor wife that while I did not know which country she was in, I had a pretty good idea which continent she was on. And with all that she graduated with a First Class Honours degree plus an MA. When she took her Ph.d it was discovered that her tutor had died in the first year and that the only reason she had contact with the later ones was the amount of serious brown nosing to get tenure at her current University.

My son had a similar tale to tell.

So overall, if Oxbridge starts to believe its own propaganda and drive away smart kids, then that is their problem and ultimately it will be a problem for them, not any potential students.

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Go to a private school and the chances of getting into Oxbridge are diminishing fast. This professor suggests that the time has come for an applicant's school to be omitted from the application form so that the best would get places with no judgement on perceived 'privilege'. It's hardly fair to judge a boy on his parent's decisions. The upshot will be that once again choices will be made and possibly some of the best brains will go abroad.