Main Menu

Maggie gets egged!

Started by T00ts, May 15, 2022, 12:27:32 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 21, 2022, 01:56:51 PM
That would just point out the inability of the rump of UK industry to take advantage of the opportunities offered on its own doorstep.

Even in the early 1900's, Americans took charge of the development of much of London Underground — hence the "move down inside the car" announcements used until recently. Strange for a country that pioneered rail.

Still, the UK can still feel smug that the World's metros get their generic name from the Metropolitan Line, and that Russian rail stations are called Vauxhall (vokzal)...

It has to be said that British industry is good at demanding an end to regulation and government interference and even better at putting its hand out when everything goes tits up.

Regardless of the names on the letter heads, the London underground system was built under government contract. it may have had American investors, but avoided the James Fisks and the horrors of Stalinism. The various railway companies tended to go bankrupt but that has always been the way with railway companies.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on May 16, 2022, 11:24:46 PM
The Margaret Thatcher statue should be accompanied by a large plaque listing all the former nationalised utilities that are now owned by foreign governments.
That would just point out the inability of the rump of UK industry to take advantage of the opportunities offered on its own doorstep.

Even in the early 1900's, Americans took charge of the development of much of London Underground — hence the "move down inside the car" announcements used until recently. Strange for a country that pioneered rail.

Still, the UK can still feel smug that the World's metros get their generic name from the Metropolitan Line, and that Russian rail stations are called Vauxhall (vokzal)...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

In The Blessed Margaret's day, the Kremlin directed money to her trades union opponents rather than propping up a failing government. And it was alleged that some of it stuck in officials' hands rather than helping miners....
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

The Margaret Thatcher statue should be accompanied by a large plaque listing all the former nationalised utilities that are now owned by foreign governments.

On the other hand, if there's ever a statue of Edwina Currie, that would be fair game for eggers. But I can't see her being any more likely to have a public statue made than, say, Kenneth Baker.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on May 16, 2022, 10:52:41 PM
They weren't booing Will, they were booing the anthem as they believe the queen could have done something to help with the Hillsboro disaster.
That's debatable but even if the case what did they expect her to do?

The best they did was boycotting the dirty diggers rag.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on May 16, 2022, 08:42:27 PM
Well the dippers (that's Liverpool to non footie people)made their feelings known at the cup by booing Wills.

They have the attitude they are not English but scouse,this goes back to Thatchers managed decline.

I'm not defending this classless bunch and whilst no royalist I feel it was poor,many tories though have jumped up to condemn the booing they are classless too and hypocrites to boot.
They weren't booing Will, they were booing the anthem as they believe the queen could have done something to help with the Hillsboro disaster. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on May 16, 2022, 09:55:42 PM
Ah well you didn't clarify. Yes I would agree but I am not convinced that Tories are the only hypocrites - you just don't hear about the rest.
And I wouldn't disagree regarding that either,I was though trying to stay within the op and attacking the statue of thatcher and your reply to Pat re showing your feelings.

On the original forum when Thatcher died a resident mod was ecstatic posting "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead" and declared it was good to celebrate.

Despite despising thatcher I felt and said happiness at the death of another human being was not something to celebrate,don't get me wrong I wasn't mourning her passing but celebrating her demise says  as much or more about about that person than any of Thatchers shortcomings.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on May 16, 2022, 09:45:34 PM
No because as you rightly pointed out lack of self control and respect for others.

When the England team were before a match taking the knee some of the crowd were booing,Pritti Patel loudly cheered on by many tories said it was right to boo them

Thus showing lack of self control and lack of respect for others,like I said I'm no royalist but wouldn't dream of booing Wills those tories who backed her then and now condemn the scousers and nothing but hypocrites.
Ah well you didn't clarify. Yes I would agree but I am not convinced that Tories are the only hypocrites - you just don't hear about the rest.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on May 16, 2022, 09:31:21 PM
Why? Are they not allowed to make comment because they are Tories rather than human beings who find the behaviour abhorrent?
No because as you rightly pointed out lack of self control and respect for others.

When the England team were before a match taking the knee some of the crowd were booing,Pritti Patel loudly cheered on by many tories said it was right to boo them

Thus showing lack of self control and lack of respect for others,like I said I'm no royalist but wouldn't dream of booing Wills those tories who backed her then and now condemn the scousers and nothing but hypocrites.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on May 16, 2022, 09:29:11 PM
No I was saying those tories condemning the booing are as bad as the dippers.....worse actually.
Why? Are they not allowed to make comment because they are Tories rather than human beings who find the behaviour abhorrent?

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on May 16, 2022, 09:19:50 PM
Are you saying that only Tories are standing up for good behaviour expectations? Surely not.
No I was saying those tories condemning the booing are as bad as the dippers.....worse actually.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 16, 2022, 06:58:02 PM
People should be entitled to make their feelings known — just like those who place bunches of flowers round junctions and traffic islands where unobservant cyclists think they're able to come out on top in a argument with a motor vehicle...

No they shouldn't. They never take the flowers out of their wrappings and they end up moldy and dry and spooky.

I have been to three funerals in as many months and they were all quite jolly affairs, but there isn't much fun to be had from these road side shrines
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on May 16, 2022, 09:17:43 PM
I don't disagree,which is why all those tories condemning the booing are classless themselves and hypocrites.
Are you saying that only Tories are standing up for good behaviour expectations? Surely not.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on May 16, 2022, 09:02:38 PM
I don't think it matters what the politics are it is a comment on common decency. How many of them would like their son booed like that? What has the chap done to even deserve it? There are far too many excuses being made for poor unsocial behaviour in all its forms. If we don't expect the best then we will never have a sensible society. We can see it in schools, universities, even jobs. Self control, respect for one another, honesty, are all under threat from those who support the right of the individual above all else. Society will never survive that ethic.
I don't disagree,which is why all those tories condemning the booing are classless themselves and hypocrites.