Good afternoon Madam!

Started by T00ts, May 16, 2022, 04:58:41 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on May 16, 2022, 04:58:41 PM
A young man in a hi vis jacket rang my doorbell. He claimed to be a rep organising surveyors who would come and check my level of insulation and guide me towards available grants. Now forgive me if I immediately see a red flag, even though his jacket was a hard on the eyes yellow. My place has cavity insulation and I am lucky enough to have no mould/cold patches and enough loft insulation to drown in. I'm totally double glazed but with the best will in the world this place is never going to be a passive house without knocking it down and starting again.

I presume that the Green taxes we are paying is once again being handed out to cowboys similar to those that wrecked far too many houses last time they mucked up the job if 'improving' everyone's insulation. Why can't anyone understand that British building techniques are so far outdated that instead of giving the builders carte blanche to build tomorrows ghettos they insist, as I believe Scotland is going to do, that they learn how to build properly not just the cheapest, with their plastic fake chimneys etc.  Rant Rant Rant
In defence of my fellow older  builders its not building techniques that are outdated but the ability of the next generation to implement them . 
In their rush to insulate Britian the cowboys did as you say get a foot in the door and just did it without proper surveys to the type of houses they were pumping their often useless and damaging insulation into .

Cavity walls for instance before they were automatically insulated were made to breath and were brick and brick skins .Some of the insulation pumped into them bridged the cavity and caused the damp and mould often complained about . 

For sure put as much as you like up in the loft but be very careful when insulating the walls of old houses . 

And yes those fake chimeneys are horrible .

T00ts

A young man in a hi vis jacket rang my doorbell. He claimed to be a rep organising surveyors who would come and check my level of insulation and guide me towards available grants. Now forgive me if I immediately see a red flag, even though his jacket was a hard on the eyes yellow. My place has cavity insulation and I am lucky enough to have no mould/cold patches and enough loft insulation to drown in. I'm totally double glazed but with the best will in the world this place is never going to be a passive house without knocking it down and starting again.

I presume that the Green taxes we are paying is once again being handed out to cowboys similar to those that wrecked far too many houses last time they mucked up the job if 'improving' everyone's insulation. Why can't anyone understand that British building techniques are so far outdated that instead of giving the builders carte blanche to build tomorrows ghettos they insist, as I believe Scotland is going to do, that they learn how to build properly not just the cheapest, with their plastic fake chimneys etc.  Rant Rant Rant