Main Menu

Doctor Who

Started by Barry, May 17, 2022, 09:36:18 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on May 21, 2022, 12:22:27 PM
Jesus, is that the dust of the ages falling on my shoulders?

I can remember when Laurence Olivier got a bollocking for blacking up when he played Othello.

Or John Inman in Are You Being Served? where he played a character as character as gay as a tree full of monkeys on laughing gas.

Or Bill Pertwee in Beyond Our Ken, who, oddly enough played the gay character rather than Kenneth Williams.

There have always been one legged ethnic transvestites playing Juliet to whomever the publicity department can dream up for Romeo, and as often as not it works because we go to see whatever show they are in

Yes but these characters were entertaining. And not always because they were comedians. Alec Guinness browning up for Lawrence of Arabia comes to mind.

Today, characters with non standard d characteristics are REQUIRED for a show to be transmitted.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 19, 2022, 08:38:38 PM
No its the promotion of ethnics onto our screens in general .  Im all for people getting the gig by talent whatever the ethnic or social  background  but we all know the ethnics are getting a shoe in in many areas currently as the media fall over themselves to look inclusive .

Feck me they were even suggesting in the last Bond movie that James is dead and its all going to be about 007 in future which like Dr Who will give them freedom to cast whoever in the roll .From that last movie it looks like the black girl is the favourite '

In recent productions we have had black Ann Bolyns and a black Guinevere . If that had been a white actor in a traditional black persons role we all know there would be cetain sections of the commuity screaming cultral missapropriation 

Were not getting worked up Posty  we are switching off because in the main they are shite actors or at best decent actors in the wrong roles .
I suppose we should be thankful they are not all turning gay

Jesus, is that the dust of the ages falling on my shoulders?

I can remember when Laurence Olivier got a bollocking for blacking up when he played Othello.

Or John Inman in Are You Being Served? where he played a character as character as gay as a tree full of monkeys on laughing gas.

Or Bill Pertwee in Beyond Our Ken, who, oddly enough played the gay character rather than Kenneth Williams.

There have always been one legged ethnic transvestites playing Juliet to whomever the publicity department can dream up for Romeo, and as often as not it works because we go to see whatever show they are in
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 20, 2022, 12:48:40 PM
Its got that common to have gay characters now that I must have missed it . Your right about the plots though ,I suppose there are only so many super criminals to save the world from and it does need an injection of origionality .
It was a passing reference. Craig and the new 007 rock up.to.his place and he whing s he's got the boyfriend coming round for a vegan tofu or something.

I admit if I had not seen a spoiler from the woke wankerpedia or whatever shouting it from the rooftops in hope of triggering me I would have missed it.

Ive said for years it's about time bond was gay because let's be honest most of the real spies were.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 19, 2022, 10:57:26 PM
Did you not pick up the fact that Q is gay then ?

I've given up on the franchise. I won't be bothering with any more. And it's nothing to do with the actors. The plots are getting utterly pants. There was nothing in the last film that kept my interest. It was, frankly, boring

As for black Guinevere's, well, Merlin was famous for spectacles and clearly marked pyrex test tubes. So having Arthur display a penchant for the dark side was easily dismissed.

And anyway, women lying in ponds handing out swords is no way to run a country.

But Dr Who's wokery is sod all tondo with colour and everything to do with promoting sexual practices that can't swell the n xt generation
Its got that common to have gay characters now that I must have missed it . Your right about the plots though ,I suppose there are only so many super criminals to save the world from and it does need an injection of origionality .

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 19, 2022, 08:38:38 PM
No its the promotion of ethnics onto our screens in general .  Im all for people getting the gig by talent whatever the ethnic or social  background  but we all know the ethnics are getting a shoe in in many areas currently as the media fall over themselves to look inclusive .

Feck me they were even suggesting in the last Bond movie that James is dead and its all going to be about 007 in future which like Dr Who will give them freedom to cast whoever in the roll .From that last movie it looks like the black girl is the favourite '

In recent productions we have had black Ann Bolyns and a black Guinevere . If that had been a white actor in a traditional black persons role we all know there would be cetain sections of the commuity screaming cultral missapropriation 

Were not getting worked up Posty  we are switching off because in the main they are shite actors or at best decent actors in the wrong roles .
Did you not pick up the fact that Q is gay then ?

I've given up on the franchise. I won't be bothering with any more. And it's nothing to do with the actors. The plots are getting utterly pants. There was nothing in the last film that kept my interest. It was, frankly, boring

As for black Guinevere's, well, Merlin was famous for spectacles and clearly marked pyrex test tubes. So having Arthur display a penchant for the dark side was easily dismissed.

And anyway, women lying in ponds handing out swords is no way to run a country.

But Dr Who's wokery is sod all tondo with colour and everything to do with promoting sexual practices that can't swell the n xt generation 

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on May 19, 2022, 11:30:18 AM
This is just a sci-fi children's TV programme that's getting people worked up, right...?
No its the promotion of ethnics onto our screens in general .  Im all for people getting the gig by talent whatever the ethnic or social  background  but we all know the ethnics are getting a shoe in in many areas currently as the media fall over themselves to look inclusive . 

In recent productions we have had black Ann Bolyns and a black Guinevere . If that had been a white actor in a traditional black persons role we all know there would be cetain sections of the commuity screaming cultral missapropriation   

Were not getting worked up Posty  we are switching off because in the main they are shite actors or at best decent actors in the wrong roles .

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on May 18, 2022, 12:01:56 PM

Does anyone remember Wendy Padbury who played Dr Who's sidekick in 1968 as Zoe? We were at school together.
Wendy Padbury?

I remember Carole Ann Ford from the first episode.

And the janitor, although sadly not his name.

In conversation with the cleaning lady and on the subject of how kids in 1963 were spoiled rotten...

"Do you know Mrs Whatever, in their chemistry experiments, there is real silver in the silver nitrate?"
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 18, 2022, 05:37:59 AM
The BBC amoung others has lost the plot in its race to be WOKE . So doctor who is now casting a trans woman to act along side a gay (rumour ) black DR .

The off button on my telly has never seen so much action
This is just a sci-fi children's TV programme that's getting people worked up, right...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

When quackers mentioned a gay dalek I looked just for a laugh  and in disbelief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bJB5MYkjg
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Baff on May 18, 2022, 09:00:37 AM
This is targeted at children right?

I don't really have much time for the BBC.
Not trusted.
It WAS. 

These days I suspect the agenda is to target them in a quite different sense of the word.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 18, 2022, 01:35:07 PM
Oh hell yes. Now you're making me feel old.
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing  Good times!!

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on May 18, 2022, 12:01:56 PM

Does anyone remember Wendy Padbury who played Dr Who's sidekick in 1968 as Zoe? We were at school together.
Oh hell yes. Now you're making me feel old.

T00ts

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 18, 2022, 05:37:59 AM
The BBC amoung others has lost the plot in its race to be WOKE . So doctor who is now casting a trans woman to act along side a gay (rumour ) black DR .

The off button on my telly has never seen so much action
Years ago the ASTRA channel UK GOLD (!!)  ran through every surviving episode of "Classic" Doctor Who right from "An Unearthly Child".

I see that FORCES TV on the same platform are running classic shows themselves and recently reached the Tom Baker / Peter Davidson crossover where Baker falls off Jodrell Bank

To see the icons of my youth, Nyssa in the strange fairy skirt and Teegan the hapless Air Stewardess again was such a delight i even forgave them that nerd Adric.

I stopped watching when Jodie Wossername took over. For the simple reason I could not understand where the plot was going

That's the problem. The push for wokery has replaced the push for a half decent plot.

Season 1 of the reboot was amazing, and the episode with Tennant and Anthony Head facing off as Doctor Vs Bad Guy a few seasons later was pure theatre. And there were many, many more. I didn't give a flying one that Jack Harkness's choice of where to stick his dick was limited only by whether it had a pulse and sometimes he wasn't even that fussy, and the episode with him where he meets the real Harkness whose a gay boy in the 40's blitz ... is a classic of the war era.

There's no chance in hell they'd EVER, EVER do a scene like Davidson's regen where he does the "Is This Death ?" and every fibre in you wants to shout out No, peter, that's a pair of 46GG jugs where Piri (Nicola Bryant) is leaning over him looking concerned and wondering what bit to give CPR to....

When two enthusiasts discovered a black and white 16mm film copy of Dr Who And The Daemons that had been sold to an Indian TV company and two Phillips Video Disks of an NTSC colour recording of the same, they stripped the chromanance (colour) overlay info from the luminance (b/w image) and mixed it with the 16mm film print to "recolourise" the show, yellow bessie and all, and when they found to theior horror that several minutes were missing, because the guy recording the show on his god knows how much it cost video disk recording system forgot to switch disks, these guys called in heavy weapons of the "industrial light and magic" variety to create from scratch, a colour wash they could apply over the back and white signal.

I've always had a soft spot for TV trickery so i jumped at the chance to go to a workshop to see for myself the sort of thing they had to do and at the time it made me proud we had a BBC because trusty me the cost of sorting this was ridiculous, but in the same way that Screaming Lord Sutch did what had to be done because one day martin Bell would need to oust Hamilton the Envelope Trouserer, someday, some piece of film of something truly historic will surface and need the same treatment, and that we learned how to do it on a classic piece of 60's and 70's kids entertainment needs to be admitred not for whatwas rescued, but that the techniques to rescue it were created...

Having said that, the Dr Who And The Daemons story arc will live in history for "Sergeant Benson, Chap With Wings, Five Rounds Rapid", "Brigadier, we must have a dance" followed by the retort "I'd sooner have a pint" and the classic "You bastards blew up a church" letter from an irate jerk of Tunbridge wells who failed to understand the MODEL maker's art. The Tw** really did think they blew up a derelict church

I don't think even Tennant and sidekick could drag me back to the 60th Anniversary episode.

Baff

This is targeted at children right?

I don't really have much time for the BBC.
Not trusted.