Is the UK more racist than anywhere else?

Started by cromwell, January 14, 2020, 03:17:57 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13790 time=1579551571 user_id=48
Oh give us a break Pat I'd wager most on here aren't racist and are tolerant,I could tell you how my best mate at infants  was mixed race or that in my boozey teenage years another was Chinese (with a good Manc accent) Manchester has a thriving Chinese population another was Jewish again we have a

large Jewish population,but you'd just say Ahh! every racist says that or I could say nowt (which I have till now) and you'd say Ahhh! typical closet racist,this country ain't perfect but it is better than most.

Not sure you've really understood my point — I have not accused any single person here of racism.

I am claiming that (a) racism exists in the UK, and (b) that when privileged people, who have never experienced, faced or recognised racism, deny it exists at a significant level, they should expect to be challenged — especially if they say the subject bores them.

In the case of Fox, some of those challenges hit home and he felt hurt. Tough. But it's raised his profile and, carefully managed, will give him the chance of greater exposure for the full range of his talents...

PS: Dragging in and then belittling past ridiculing of the "some-of-my-best-friends-are..." schtick, could be seen as another bit of misplaced discomfort.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=13792 time=1579553077 user_id=50
Just ignore him, Toots. Its one of his typical drive by "post for effect" efforts to try and get a reaction. He's a privileged middle class black person complaining about privileged middle class white people. It isn't worth a reply but for comedy value it's pure gold  :lol:

I just hate the way that racism is not a definite definition but some fog that floats around constantly changing shape depending on what some chip on the shoulder person wants it to be at that particular moment in time. It is a ploy to make everyone else feel  inferior which in itself seems racist against pale skins.   :rant:

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts post_id=13763 time=1579542042 user_id=54
So what is racism? Anyone prepared to hazard a definition that makes any sense because I am getting very fed up of not being able to to make any comments to anyone with a darker shade skin.

Just ignore him, Toots. Its one of his typical drive by "post for effect" efforts to try and get a reaction. He's a privileged middle class black person complaining about privileged middle class white people. It isn't worth a reply but for comedy value it's pure gold  :lol:

cromwell

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=13749 time=1579534198 user_id=70
The Fox reaction shows how a complacent attitude of White privileged being ruptured having to directly confront the fact that they have never before had to explain why they've been protected from discrimination and rejection simply because of their ethnicity. Others will don the mantle of victimhood and cite how their grandparents had to make tin shovels and coal scuttles in the back yards of rented back-to-back terraces in the eastend...

Oh give us a break Pat I'd wager most on here aren't racist and are tolerant,I could tell you how my best mate at infants  was mixed race or that in my boozey teenage years another was Chinese (with a good Manc accent) Manchester has a thriving Chinese population another was Jewish again we have a

large Jewish population,but you'd just say Ahh! every racist says that or I could say nowt (which I have till now) and you'd say Ahhh! typical closet racist,this country ain't perfect but it is better than most.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=13763 time=1579542042 user_id=54
So what is racism?

A popular excuse for failure.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=13749 time=1579534198 user_id=70
The Fox reaction shows how a complacent attitude of White privileged being ruptured having to directly confront the fact that they have never before had to explain why they've been protected from discrimination and rejection simply because of their ethnicity. Others will don the mantle of victimhood and cite how their grandparents had to make tin shovels and coal scuttles in the back yards of rented back-to-back terraces in the eastend...

So what is racism? Anyone prepared to hazard a definition that makes any sense because I am getting very fed up of not being able to to make any comments to anyone with a darker shade skin.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=13428 time=1579258939 user_id=54
I dipped into QT last night for a while before I realised the error of my ways. I was interesting to hear Laurence Fox round on an audience member who called him white and privileged. As I said earlier in this thread racism isn't all one way.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7898147/Question-Time-guest-Laurence-Fox-gets-Meghan-racism-debate.html#v-8457265660207347310">//https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7898147/Question-Time-guest-Laurence-Fox-gets-Meghan-racism-debate.html#v-8457265660207347310

Sorry I didn't want to confront anyone with the whole DM article it was the clip I was aiming for.

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Britain has certainly become more xenophobic and nationalist towards people from other EU countries since the referendum.  Other than that I don't think we're more racist in general and I'm sure there are countries with much worse race relations than we have.

This is slightly on a tangent but . . . Brexiters stressed that they are not against the other countries of Europe or their citizens, only against the EU. It's all very well for them to say that, but citizens of other European countries don't see it that way.

Major Sinic

So refreshing to find that not all actors are snowflake luvvies! What a down to earth, commonsense plain speaking bloke Lawrence Fox is (Questiontime 16th January). Some silly mixed-race member of the audience claimed that the only reason Meghan was heavily criticised by the British press was because she is black and Lawrence made clear his rejection of this very silly assertion.

First of all Meghan is a mixed race person,; just as much a white woman as a black one. Secondly she has been heavily criticised for the way she has behaved. It would have been made quite clear to her what marrying into the British Royal Family entailed and like Kate she should have knuckled under and supported her husband. She hasn't and has behaved alternately like a 'prima donna' or a whingeing brat. I used to have a high regard for Harry; a solders' soldier but I honestly thought he had more personal strength and sense of loyalty to the Crown that he is currently displayed.

Having said that if they don't want the obligations, restrictions, public and press judgements and behavioural code of senior Royals then of course they should be allowed to go their own way as private citizens. There is no halfway house, no having their cake and eating it. The titles go, so too does Frogmore Cottage unless the £2m+ it cost the public purse to renovate this property (which belongs to HM) is returned, security becomes a private problem and no further payments or privileges can come from the public purse. It is one or the other!

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=13438 time=1579266795 user_id=74
Yes, apparently they were invited over to Blighty by a local ruler who was based in Wiltshire and controlled the region to the south of that. He had some trouble with another mob ruled by some other king, and the Romans were called for reinforcements. So some welcomed the Romans and others did not.

Well actually the southernmost villa in the territory was just outside what is now the town of Brading, on the isle of wight a few miles south of Newport IOW.

The area was given over to vines and was probably the only reliable vineyard at the time

The mosaic floor shows a caricature of a senator with a cockerel head. My Latin wasnt up to.the translation so I'll take the word of the guy writing the guidebook that it was a sly dig at the scumbag that sentenced the governor of the province of vectis to their several years long posting.

Britain was clearly either a punishment posting or somewhere you'd send the likes of Tony Blair....

Britain's west coast offered two massive deepwater ports to Augustines navy, one the natural harbour in what is now pembrokeshire  the other carved from the mud of the usk at isca silurium, a mere 300 yards from Jog towers' water gate...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baron von Lotsov

BBC racism - copied from Mr Zho.

Quote我们是东亚病夫时,我们被说是黄祸; When we were the sick man of Asia, we were called the yellow peril. 我们被预言是下一个超级大国了,我们被指是主要威胁。When we are billed to be the next superpower, we are called the threat. 那时我们闭关自守,你走私鸦片来强开门户; When we closed our doors, you smuggled drugs to open markets. 我们拥抱自由贸易了,你责骂我们抢走你的饭碗。When we embrace free trade, you blame us for taking away your jobs. 那时我们风雨飘摇,你铁蹄犯境要求机会均等; When we were falling apart, you marched in your troops and wanted your fair share. 我们要整合破碎的山河,你说我们"入侵"...... When we tried to put the broken pieces back together again, free Tibet you screamed, It was an invasion! 我们试行马列救国,你痛恨我们成为异己分子; When tried communism, you hated us for being communist. 我们拥抱资本主义了,你又恨我们当了资本家。When we embrace capitalism, you hate us for being capitalist. 当我们的人口到达十亿,你说我们在摧毁地球; When we have a billion people, you said we were destroying the planet. 我们要限制人口了,你说我们践踏人权。When we tried limiting our numbers, you said we abused human rights. 那时我们一贫如洗,你视我们贱如狗; When we were poor, you thought we were dogs. 我们有钞票借给你了,你怨我们令你国债累累。When we loan you cash, you blame us for your national debts. 我们发展工业了,你说我们是污染者; When we build our industries, you call us polluters. 我们有货品卖给你了,你说我们是地球暖化的因由。When we sell you goods, you blame us for global warming. 我们购买石油,你说我们榨取兼灭族; When we buy oil, you call it exploitation and genocide. 你们为石油开战,你说是为了解救生灵。When you go to war for oil, you call it liberation. 那时我们动乱无序,你说我们没有法治; When we were lost in chaos and rampage, you demanded rules of law. 现在我们要依法平暴,你说我们违反人权。When we uphold law and order against violence, you call it violating human rights. 我们静默无声时,你说我们欠缺言论自由; When we were silent, you said you wanted us to have free speech. 我们不再缄默了,你说我们是被洗了脑的仇外暴民。When we are silent no more, you say we are brainwashed-xenophobes. "为什么你这样憎恨我们?"我们想知道。"Why do you hate us so much﹖"we asked. "不",你说,"我不恨你们。" "No," you answered, "we don't hate you." 我们也不恨你; 只是,你了解我们吗? We don't hate you either, but, do you understand us? "当然了解",你说, "我们消息多的是,有AFP、CNN、还有BBC......" "Of course we do, "you said, "We have AFP, CNN and BBC's ......" 那么你究竟要我们怎样生存? What do you really want from us? 回答之前,请仔细的想一想.... 因为你的机会不是无限的。Think hard first, then answer, because you only get so many chances. 已经够多了.... 这个世界容不下更多的伪善了。Enough is enough, enough hypocrisy for this one world. 我们要的是同一个世界,同一个梦想,靖世太平。We want one world, one dream, and peace on earth. 这​​个宽广、辽阔的蓝地球,容得下你们,容得下我们。This big blue earth is big enough for all of us

Chinaman no like BBC.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=13407 time=1579244755 user_id=63
If you research the late roman era, you will find the british isles, towards the end of the roman empire, are documented as having rather taken to roman imperial rule, given the roman citizenship it conferred. But then again, the books documenting that were probably written by the members of the remain camp ....

Yes, apparently they were invited over to Blighty by a local ruler who was based in Wiltshire and controlled the region to the south of that. He had some trouble with another mob ruled by some other king, and the Romans were called for reinforcements. So some welcomed the Romans and others did not.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Barry

Here's another view:

https://www.melaniephillips.com/why-anti-racist-mob-real-racists/">//https://www.melaniephillips.com/why-anti-racist-mob-real-racists/

of which I particularly liked these paragraphs:

So Donald Trump (say no more); Boris Johnson (ditto); the philosopher Sir Roger Scruton, the meaning of whose comments was reversed; US law professor Amy Wax who spoke accurately about minority achievement in her classes; the authoritative US researcher Heather MacDonald who adduces evidence to show the American police are not institutionally racist; the 17.4 million Britons who voted for Brexit (some of whom were from ethnic minorities); anyone who ever drew attention to the Pakistani-heritage rape grooming gangs in Britain; the entire UK-wide police service (thanks to the 1999 Macpherson report); and anyone who ever criticised US president Barack Obama for anything he ever did or said, all these people are or were... racists. Even if they don't or didn't have a bigoted bone in their body.

Well if everyone is racist, no-one is racist. And so the evil of real racial prejudice has thus been minimised and even denied.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

I dipped into QT last night for a while before I realised the error of my ways. I was interesting to hear Laurence Fox round on an audience member who called him white and privileged. As I said earlier in this thread racism isn't all one way.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7898147/Question-Time-guest-Laurence-Fox-gets-Meghan-racism-debate.html#v-8457265660207347310">//https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7898147/Question-Time-guest-Laurence-Fox-gets-Meghan-racism-debate.html#v-8457265660207347310

Sorry I didn't want to confront anyone with the whole DM article it was the clip I was aiming for.

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=13379 time=1579201985 user_id=74
Two things - first we have during our history mixed with far more races than any other country. That would imply an ability to work with and generally get on with them, except possibly if that were like in the Roman sense, where the other country was a bit miffed about being taken over.

If you research the late roman era, you will find the british isles, towards the end of the roman empire, are documented as having rather taken to roman imperial rule, given the roman citizenship it conferred. But then again, the books documenting that were probably written by the members of the remain camp ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>