Is the UK more racist than anywhere else?

Started by cromwell, January 14, 2020, 03:17:57 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13140 time=1579015077 user_id=48
I only ask because on the way to an appointment today I briefly whilst scanning the car radio caught a piece on talk radio on how the UK is being portrayed  across the world and particularly in the US as racist by grauniad hacks selling their wares.

Two things - first we have during our history mixed with far more races than any other country. That would imply an ability to work with and generally get on with them, except possibly if that were like in the Roman sense, where the other country was a bit miffed about being taken over.

Other thing - I reckon our country has turned extremely arrogant. We make money now selling our past to tourists and the entertainment industry. This does not bode very well with many from other countries. They think we are full of shit basically.

In history, a dying empire eventually gets taken over by people who are more industrious. It's like the Indians with their cornershops. I recall some Middle Easterns in Manchester who used to run this small takeaway called Abduls, and it was always cheaper and better than the rest, and got a reputation for it amongst students. I looked to see the other day, some 30 years on, and it spans along the street many times the size it started, and is now a rich business. I guess they just worked harder and were less arrogant.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Scott777

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13140 time=1579015077 user_id=48
I only ask because on the way to an appointment today I briefly whilst scanning the car radio caught a piece on talk radio on how the UK is being portrayed  across the world and particularly in the US as racist by grauniad hacks selling their wares.

So I had a look https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/opinion/sunday/meghan-markle-prince-harry.html?searchResultPosition=56">//https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/opinion/sunday/meghan-markle-prince-harry.html?searchResultPosition=56

of course there's racism in the UK but compared to the US and other parts of the world?

I think we're being unfairly labelled.

There's frankly no way to know.  Anyone can be racist, they don't always behave as such.  Britain is very diverse.  Other countries are not, so racism may not be apparent.  It's only a big issue here because of political divide and diversity, and because MSM hype it all up.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13158 time=1579021964 user_id=89
According to the British gutter press she is. She is actually mixed race.

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=13288 time=1579135091 user_id=63
yeah, but so is obama, but no democrat admits it.

Seems unlikely. His White mother featured in a Barack Obama campaign TV ad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aR3Gpsn4v4">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aR3Gpsn4v4
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

yeah, but so is obama, but no democrat admits it.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Major Sinic

For the argument to focus on whether Meghan is black, white or, more  accurately, mixed race is doing what so often happens in this country and that is to focus on the contentious and in this case a single narrow issue. Equally for the OP to be reduced to the friction between the tabloids and the Sussex's is to reduce it to the banal. To use the present issue within the Royal Family as evidence of UK racism is frankly risible,

Now to the racism in the UK! No, I totally reject the claim that the UK is particularly racist. The reality is that a large number of snowflakes who feel that they have the right to be offended on behalf of others, coupled with coloured people with very thin skins of varying degrees of brown see racism where it really doesn't exist or was never intended. Too many people enjoy the comfort they derive from perceiving themselves to be a victim.

johnofgwent

Take a trip to France, Belgium and then Romania and Bulgaria.

Stop.off at Serbia if you think you will be allowed back in britain afterwards.

Then you'll know
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=13178 time=1579028939 user_id=54
Some are racist but racism goes in all directions. Some are against whites if we are really honest. It doesn't matter what shade your skin is someone will look down on you. Are we the bogiemen described in the gutter press across the water? No, but it suits the black narrative to hang criticism anywhere but on the person who appears to have let everyone down. What puzzles me is why MM emphasises the black part of her heritage more than the white. After all she is half and half, yet in Africa she made a point of stressing that she is a woman of colour. I could understand if her mother was her only parent but she was ok with her dad while it suited her.

Yep, you'd think she'd opt for the easy life and go for being White. But maybe, just maybe, the White parts of her birth family have not favourably impressed her. Plus, actually having a point of view about various aspects of inequality, has spurred her to recognise her heritage in speaking out. And her treatment by the media here probably won't have encouraged her to think otherwise...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Some are racist but racism goes in all directions. Some are against whites if we are really honest. It doesn't matter what shade your skin is someone will look down on you. Are we the bogiemen described in the gutter press across the water? No, but it suits the black narrative to hang criticism anywhere but on the person who appears to have let everyone down. What puzzles me is why MM emphasises the black part of her heritage more than the white. After all she is half and half, yet in Africa she made a point of stressing that she is a woman of colour. I could understand if her mother was her only parent but she was ok with her dad while it suited her.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=13159 time=1579022290 user_id=51

It all gets a bit silly, if we are going to hound people who are mixed race. Most of us probably are.

"We" aren't hounding anyone, the British gutter press are.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=13151 time=1579021296 user_id=51
Is Meghan black then?  :shrg:

Funnily enough I never noticed until the BBC started banging on about it. She was in Suits but the way it was lit she could have been sky blue for all I could tell.

She could walk down any street in London and brighten up the day of any straight male between puberty and death, but I doubt that anyone outside the MSM would notice her melanin level.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

OK, I think you know what I'm getting at. You see, I wonder how much African DNA we need to be considered black. You've had a DNA test sent off recently for analysis which might show you have some African ancestors.

I have darker skin than the average white Brit and that might come from some foreign ancestor?

It all gets a bit silly, if we are going to hound people who are mixed race. Most of us probably are.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=13156 time=1579021778 user_id=51
I'm not joking, Papa, I am making a valid point. So, is she black?

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13152 time=1579021578 user_id=89
I have to assume you are joking, given the disgusting rabid racism aimed at her by the British gutter press,

I'm not joking, Papa, I am making a valid point. So, is she black?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=13151 time=1579021296 user_id=51
Is Meghan black then?  :shrg:

I have to assume you are joking, given the disgusting rabid racism aimed at her by the British gutter press,

Barry

† The end is nigh †