Cancer-Killing Virus in New Clinical Trial

Started by patman post, May 23, 2022, 12:32:09 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

I think that the Astra-Zeneca Covid jab works in a similar manner. Prior to Covid, genetically modified therapies were already in use for cancers.
I believe each cancer, once the DNA is known can be targeted in this way.

Obviously the risk - benefit of a drug in an otherwise terminal patient is very high, which makes the decision to use experimental therapies fairly easy.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

To be honest I have no idea — except — wasn't/isn't radiation meant to zap particular bits (rather like the skin doctor freezing blemishes with frozen nitrogen), whereas this approach looks like it's actually seeking out individual malignant cells to destroy..?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 23, 2022, 12:32:09 PM
An experimental cancer-killing virus has been administered to a human patient for the first time, with hopes the testing will ultimately reveal evidence of a new means of successfully fighting cancer tumours in people's bodies.

The drug candidate, called CF33-hNIS (aka Vaxinia), is a genetically modified pox virus designed to selectively infect and kill cancer cells while sparing healthy ones.

In the case of CF33-hNIS, the modified virus works by entering cells and duplicating itself. Eventually, the infected cell bursts, releasing thousands of new virus particles that act as antigens, stimulating the immune system to attack nearby cancer cells.

https://www.cityofhope.org/city-hope-and-imugene-announce-first-patient-dosed-phase-1-trial-test-cancer-killing-oncolytic

Let's hope this is something to celebrate, and not something to be hijacked by anti-inspired groups...

I will check it out with the sister in law. Nice girl, ex nurse and as such the world's biggest hypochondriac. Except of course for most other nurses. And when it comes to conspiracies, she can leave Scottie at the starting gate.

I have never been up on this internal plumbing lark. As said before, I reckon that if brandy, bed rest, self pity and a few Kenneth Brangh movies don't work, you are probably dead anyway. However, I seem to recall that the idea of radiation treatment was that it hammered the weaker cancer cells and allowed the healthy ones to take over.

So how is this new treatment any better?
Algerie Francais !

patman post

An experimental cancer-killing virus has been administered to a human patient for the first time, with hopes the testing will ultimately reveal evidence of a new means of successfully fighting cancer tumours in people's bodies.

The drug candidate, called CF33-hNIS (aka Vaxinia), is a genetically modified pox virus designed to selectively infect and kill cancer cells while sparing healthy ones.

In the case of CF33-hNIS, the modified virus works by entering cells and duplicating itself. Eventually, the infected cell bursts, releasing thousands of new virus particles that act as antigens, stimulating the immune system to attack nearby cancer cells.

https://www.cityofhope.org/city-hope-and-imugene-announce-first-patient-dosed-phase-1-trial-test-cancer-killing-oncolytic

Let's hope this is something to celebrate, and not something to be hijacked by anti-inspired groups...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...