Union flag banned

Started by Streetwalker, January 14, 2020, 04:47:24 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT post_id=13224 time=1579099792 user_id=61
That's not what the UK is doing, throwing NI under the bus.

So gerry you say the uk is throwing the 6 counties under a bus , and heres doggy only the other day saying the 6 counties is getting what he has argued for and how he feels entirely vindicated.

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=12987 time=1578847417 user_id=83
  As for me being in meltdown, well, the Withdrawal Agreement that Johnson is now free to ratify contains the very things I have argued for as regards Northern Ireland — in even more definitive fashion than May's deal. It also looks set to maintain and even encourage further cross-border integration, which I believe helps to set us up nicely for a decade which I believe may be a historic one for Irish nationalism.  

My views on the Irish border, where I argued with absolute consistency that the UK would never get the type of Brexit it claimed to want without compromising on the internal UK customs market and accepting special status for NI — well — I have been emphatically vindicated. With the DUP now no longer in a position to shoot this down, this is even more the case.

I think you two need to go away and have a wee word on your brexit strategy dont you instead of contradicting each other?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

I'll explain again, the point's I previously made. Your selective memory can only remember that bits you want.

EU council = equal representation, each country having 1 representative

EU commission = equal representation, each country having 1 representative

EU Parliament = proportional representation, each country has a say

Major decisions = countries have a veto, such as the expansion of the EU, new member states needing all current members to agree.

Opt outs = countries can opt out in certain areas, the UK were masters at this. Such as Common currency, future integration, Rebate on payments and Schengen to mention a few.

The EU is standing together, as one "we are the eu and the eu is us". That's not what the UK is doing, throwing NI under the bus. Maybe you could have a UK slogan "we(england that is) is the UK, and no one else counts).

You are re running pre referendum arguments yet again. This was all discussed way back in 2015 , i remember posting the "wee bleu book " by alyn smith on the old forum showing all this.

http://www.yeswecan.scot/index.php/knowledgebase/2015-09-26-12-32-43/the-wee-bleu-book">http://www.yeswecan.scot/index.php/know ... -bleu-book">http://www.yeswecan.scot/index.php/knowledgebase/2015-09-26-12-32-43/the-wee-bleu-book

The english said thanks for that we are still voting leave.

FFS stop re raking over dirty old ground will you and move on.

QuoteThat's not what the UK is doing, throwing NI under the bus.

WTF are you going on about now?

Only a few days ago conor was telling me how ireland and the 6 counties were getting a great deal , now you say the uk is throwing the north under a bus ?

You are all over the place man . Which is it?

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT post_id=13217 time=1579095707 user_id=61
But in reality the total opposite happened,...... Then you think they were focusing on the home market  :lol:  :lol: how many seats did they get in the recent GE ? zero, nill, 0.

Thats a very poor analogy Gerry.

UKIP/Brexit party stood down in many of the seats to let the conservatives win in the last general election , and as a party whose main reason for existence was to take the uk out of the eu , you could say they did most of their damage prior to the 2016 brexit referendum , where as a political force concentrating on the uk "home " front , they terrified the english conservatives out of their wits so much that cameron stood ( with great reluctance) in 2015 on  a brexit ref ticket , lost the referendum , and the rest they say is history.

Since then you could almost say the brexit parties reason to exist was merely to stand in the background and hold the tories feet to the fire to enact brexit , and if they dont  , or serve up BRINO , they will be back with a bang.

So im no sure your analogy works , they might not have won many seats over the course of recent UKGE`s , but for something like the past 10 years , they have been pulling the conservatives strings .

To me , like farage or hate him , thats an impressive feat for a man and his party unable to get elected on the "home " front.

So personally i think streetwalker is right , they were focusing on the "home " front.

...and thats where they won brexit . The EU parliament has and always will be nothing more than a side issue to england.

Quoteand then the UK will go back to those people in the EU parliament and look for a good deal, I wonder will they remember.

Dunno Gerry , but you seem to continually make the same mistake as conor in the fact does anyone care? I told you this once before , and i will tell you again , the english are determined to leave the eu one way or the other , and good post brexit deal or not , they arent going to be held to ransome to some sort of BRINO.

You believe what you will though .

cromwell

I'll explain again, the point's I previously made. Your selective memory can only remember that bits you want.

Major decisions = countries have a veto, such as the expansion of the EU, new member states needing all current members to agree.

Opt outs = countries can opt out in certain areas, the UK were masters at this. Such as Common currency, future integration, Rebate on payments and Schengen to mention a few.

The EU is standing together, as one "we are the eu and the eu is us". That's not what the UK is doing, throwing NI under the bus. Maybe you could have a UK slogan "we(england that is) is the UK, and no one else counts).

And your selective post doesn't answer the question,never mind Eh Gerry?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13220 time=1579097899 user_id=48
Oh dear Gerry not long ago you were telling us "we(ireland that is) are the eu and the eu is us" and how much better it is than when the Irish republic was part of the UK because now you have an equal say as much as the bigger countries,so which is it?

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT post_id=13217 time=1579095707 user_id=61
But in reality the total opposite happened, the UK has 73 MEP's only Germany 96 and France 74 have more than the UK. The UK had more say than most of the 28 countries

Oh dear Gerry not long ago you were telling us "we(ireland that is) are the eu and the eu is us" and how much better it is than when the Irish republic was part of the UK because now you have an equal say as much as the bigger countries,so which is it?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13183 time=1579035880 user_id=53
Well only a couple of weeks or so now so it doesn't really matter as we are leaving  .I think UKIP and the Brexit party learnt very early on from their visits to Brussels that they were not going to change anything and were better off campaigning at home to achieve their goals .

But in reality the total opposite happened, the UK has 73 MEP's only Germany 96 and France 74 have more than the UK. The UK had more say than most of the 28 countries, unless you think change should mean "do what we say" in your book. Then you think they were focusing on the home market  :lol:  :lol: how many seats did they get in the recent GE ? zero, nill, 0. Maybe the brexit party and UKIP should focus elsewhere, a good start would have been the EU parliament where they were elected by the UK people, decisions that affect the UK are made in the EU parliament, being elected and not shouwing up is disrespectful to those that voted them in. Farage has been at it for decades, over 3 yrs in his EU role on the fisheries committee he showed up 1 of 42 meetings

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13183 time=1579035880 user_id=53
They basically  restricted attendance to when given opportunity to speak and have a pop or a laugh at the EU's expense .

Thats very disrespectful, why do that. The EU trying to do their business and he goes and mocks it. The reason the UK is in the EU has to do with the UK and not the EU, you could and can leave any time.

But now the UK leaves in just over 2 weeks, and then the UK will go back to those people in the EU parliament and look for a good deal, I wonder will they remember.

Barry

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=13208 time=1579082970 user_id=83
One of the great ironies of Brexit is that, by simple virtue of leaving the EU, Brexiteers have proven that the "EU federal state" argument is untrue.

I don't think it proves any such thing. If I am right we will see an acceleration in moves to achieve country status, as soon as the UK is out of the EU parliament.
QuoteThe exercise of Brexit proves that the substance of sovereignty has always been vested ultimately in the member states — all of them voluntary members who can voluntarily exercise their right to leave as formalised in the Lisbon Treaty.

Well, of course that is true, but as happened in Maastricht, the rules can easily be changed which is what inflamed the British public in the first place.

You need to remember the objective is "An ever closer union". This will eventually become a EU state.
† The end is nigh †

Conchúr

Quote from: Barry post_id=13186 time=1579036837 user_id=51
It will be a European Union of 27 countries and if they want to remove the distractions of individual countries flag waving that is a matter for them. Perhaps they want to bolster their identity as they pretend to be a country, the United states of Europe.

We'll be gone from that chamber, in a couple of weeks. Thank the Lord.

One of the great ironies of Brexit is that, by simple virtue of leaving the EU, Brexiteers have proven that the "EU federal state" argument is untrue. The exercise of Brexit proves that the substance of sovereignty has always been vested ultimately in the member states — all of them voluntary members who can voluntarily exercise their right to leave as formalised in the Lisbon Treaty.

In any case, this is a non-story.  If this is the kind of thing Farage and his pals get worked up over .....then it isn't much surprise that Brexiteers never found the time to ehhh make a plan for Brexit.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13155 time=1579021762 user_id=89
I suspect that is fake news.

I don't, but you wouldn't recognise the sources I saw the story carried by....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

It will be a European Union of 27 countries and if they want to remove the distractions of individual countries flag waving that is a matter for them. Perhaps they want to bolster their identity as they pretend to be a country, the United states of Europe.

We'll be gone from that chamber, in a couple of weeks. Thank the Lord.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT post_id=13165 time=1579023721 user_id=61
But they never show up  :lol:  :lol:

Well only a couple of weeks or so now so it doesn't really matter as we are leaving  .I think UKIP and the Brexit party learnt very early on from their visits to Brussels that they were not going to change anything and were better off campaigning at home to achieve their goals . They basically  restricted attendance to when given opportunity to speak and have a pop or a laugh at the EU's expense .

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13148 time=1579020444 user_id=53
The President of the EU has this week stated that all national symbols are to be banned from the European parliament .  Just in case anyone wondered where the little flags on the desks had gone .

Petty move to piss off the biggest soon to be departed party in the EU or federalism tightening its grip

https://www.infowars.com/eu-removes-national-flags-from-european-parliament-farage-says/">https://www.infowars.com/eu-removes-nat ... rage-says/">https://www.infowars.com/eu-removes-national-flags-from-european-parliament-farage-says/

But they never show up  :lol:  :lol:

papasmurf

I suspect that is fake news.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

The President of the EU has this week stated that all national symbols are to be banned from the European parliament .  Just in case anyone wondered where the little flags on the desks had gone .

Petty move to piss off the biggest soon to be departed party in the EU or federalism tightening its grip

https://www.infowars.com/eu-removes-national-flags-from-european-parliament-farage-says/">https://www.infowars.com/eu-removes-nat ... rage-says/">https://www.infowars.com/eu-removes-national-flags-from-european-parliament-farage-says/