USA and EU unite against uk on northern ireland protocol

Started by Thomas, May 24, 2022, 08:11:10 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 25, 2022, 08:13:14 PM
My personal way forward would to make Belfast a freeport  within the UK and the rest of Ireland to unite. It was after all only prodestant parts of  Belfast that voted leave so everyone ,even the bigots should be  happy
Protocol Gains Favor in Northern Ireland as Support for Unity Grows

• Support for Protocol more than doubles over year, survey shows
  • Growing majority think Brexit makes united Ireland more likely

Public support for the Northern Ireland Protocol has more than doubled from a year ago, a new survey showed, as the UK and EU continue a heated dispute over the part of the Brexit treaty dealing with the region.

There has been a "significant shift towards support for the Protocol," with 33% saying it is "on balance a good thing," compared to 16% in 2020, authors led by Queen's University Belfast Professor Katy Hayward wrote in a research report. Underscoring the polarization of opinion, 21% said it was on balance a "bad thing," up from 18% in 2020 and 33% regarded it as a "mixed bag," according to the Northern Ireland Life and Times survey.

The survey findings come as the UK threatens to override parts of the Brexit deal amid claims trading arrangements for Northern Ireland aren't working. The Democratic Unionist Party is refusing to join the region's devolved government until the Protocol is replaced. A May 5 election saw a nationalist party become the biggest for the first time and was regarded as a success for parties favoring the Protocol.

UK to Start Legislating Against Brexit Deal Within Three Weeks
Meanwhile the fall-out from Brexit has continued to boost expectations Northern Ireland will unite with the Republic to the south. Of those surveyed, 63% said Brexit has made it more likely in the poll of 1,397 people conducted October to December 2021, up 5 points from 2020.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-25/protocol-gains-favor-in-n-ireland-as-support-for-unity-grows?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=bloomberguk&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-bloomberguk

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 25, 2022, 08:13:14 PM
My personal way forward would to make Belfast a freeport  within the UK and the rest of Ireland to unite. It was after all only prodestant parts of  Belfast that voted leave so everyone ,even the bigots should be  happy (i really dont understand that part of it so the above may be cobblers )

Pre EU though the Irish 'border' was in designated warehouses where goods were checked in transit away from the border . That along with random stops more or less covered it , it realy wasn't a problem .

Its up to the people in the end where they wish to take their nations , the Taffs voted leave by the way so they liked it rather than lumped it .
I dont know what will happen with these tory muppets in charge , they dont seem to want to make a decision on anything or when they do can't make it stick but yes your probably right Thomas , can kicking . If they made it an olympic sport we would win gold .

The Yanks seem to have a thing about Ireland , without any history of their own they want to claim everyone elses . They wouldnt give a shite about the place if there wasnt a few votes in it but in the end the profits of a trade agreement will overide any sentiments or nostalgia of the home of great great grandma
Nothing new then in there.

We had the vote , you lost in northern ireland , and then after spending years telling the likes of me it was a uk vote not a constituent nation vote , your own brexiter prime mininster undermined that very argument by leaving northern ireland in the eu.

The Yanks seem to have a thing about Ireland , without any history of their own they want to claim everyone elses . They wouldnt give a shite about the place if there wasnt a few votes in it but in the end the profits of a trade agreement will overide any sentiments or nostalgia of the home of great great grandma
Dont agree , and with respect streetwalker i think its you and many in your own country that dont know your own history and the history of these islands.

With regarding ireland , the yank involvement is the law of unintended consequences as far as i can see. After you brits  tried slaughtering the irish , transporting them to the colonies , putting them on a reservation west of the shannon ,the idea was to then try and starve them out , where they had something like 17 artificial famines over a hundred year period culmination in the great hunger of the nineteenth century .

This led to the deaths of millions of irish , so much so the popualtion of ireland today is less than it was 200 years ago. The important bit of this wee bit of history is the mass emigration of irish to the americas , so much that some 60 million yanks today like biden and many others see themselves as irish or irish american.

Thats your problem right there . The descendants of the people in yankland the brits treated like shit in ireland havent forgotten. During the thirty years of troubles , and before the biggest supporters of the irish struggle were of course the yanks , who not only supplied billions in finance for the provos as john of gwent can tell you , but supplied arms and training.

Today , that support of irish america has morphed into support for the protocal , which in my view is here to stay until at least 2024 or unification.

The world would be a better place if countries kept their noses out of other countries affairs , and we all tried to get along and respect each other. You cant then moan about putin , or the yanks interfering in ireland when you do the same in scotland and ireland not to mention many other nations past and present.

You know my view though , brexit has a long way to run , and the simple fact is no matter how many times you try and couch the brexit vote in terms of numbers as the will of the english /welsh majority overriding scotland and northern ireland , it isnt going to be taken by us or the irish sitting down.

In scotland , like northern ireland , as we know you have the hard core unionists and nationalists in opposing corners. Whats interesting though is how englands brexiters have pissed off the middle of the road pro european voter , comfortable with both the uk membership and eu membership. These people are now being forced to pick between the uk and eu , and from what i see ,unfrotunately for you , they prefer the eu to little england.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on May 25, 2022, 09:16:20 AM
whats your solution then streetwalker?

Its now 6 years if not more on from the discussions we have all had regarding the 300 mile northern irish border and the issues brexit would wreak , and still no solution in sight except boris capitulation regarding the protocol.

All we hear from brexiters is the same old tear the border down and leave a hole in the eu single market which as all the world knows isnt going to happen. Even daft gerry spent years and numerous posts explaining in depth why it wont happen.

Its your fault for voting brexit , and brexiters arrogantly assumed evryone, jocks taffs paddies and europeans would have to like it or lump it. That hasnt been the case. With actions came reaction , hence the NIP.

I tell you what will happen. Fack all. Boris is making empty noises knowing full well he wont do a thing. The plan is to keep making futile noises for your benefit ( brexiters) , do nothing , wait till 2024 , let the northern irish vote on the NIP , and then lay the blame at their feet.

That s my prediction. Can kicking. the ultimate weapon of the westminster politician.

As for the yanks doing one as you put it....aye ok streetwalker. pull the other one mate.
My personal way forward would to make Belfast a freeport  within the UK and the rest of Ireland to unite. It was after all only prodestant parts of  Belfast that voted leave so everyone ,even the bigots should be  happy (i really dont understand that part of it so the above may be cobblers )

Pre EU though the Irish 'border' was in designated warehouses where goods were checked in transit away from the border . That along with random stops more or less covered it , it realy wasn't a problem . 

Its up to the people in the end where they wish to take their nations , the Taffs voted leave by the way so they liked it rather than lumped it .
I dont know what will happen with these tory muppets in charge , they dont seem to want to make a decision on anything or when they do cant make it stick but yes your probably right Thomas , can kicking . If they made it an olympic sport we would win gold . 

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 24, 2022, 09:06:59 PM
The UK government has as far as I am aware never said they would not respect the GFA .In fact its the EU that have weaponised it in attempt to keep the Uk tied to EU rules and regulations .

The Irish border is a special case ,always has been with the common travel area ,the EU are the problem in not recognising the arrangments that have worked for Ireland and the UK pre Eu membership

Oh and the Yanks can do one .
whats your solution then streetwalker?

Its now 6 years if not more on from the discussions we have all had regarding the 300 mile northern irish border and the issues brexit would wreak , and still no solution in sight except boris capitulation regarding the protocol.

All we hear from brexiters is the same old tear the border down and leave a hole in the eu single market which as all the world knows isnt going to happen. Even daft gerry spent years and numerous posts explaining in depth why it wont happen.

Its your fault for voting brexit , and brexiters arrogantly assumed evryone, jocks taffs paddies and europeans would have to like it or lump it. That hasnt been the case. With actions came reaction , hence the NIP.

I tell you what will happen. Fack all. Boris is making empty noises knowing full well he wont do a thing. The plan is to keep making futile noises for your benefit ( brexiters) , do nothing , wait till 2024 , let the northern irish vote on the NIP , and then lay the blame at their feet.

That s my prediction. Can kicking. the ultimate weapon of the westminster politician.

As for the yanks doing one as you put it....aye ok streetwalker. pull the other one mate.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 24, 2022, 08:26:01 PM
There's probably about 10% of Americans with Irish ancestry, and probably the same again claiming it. And don't forget, the Irish are favourites among the general population. Quite the opposite for the English, who make the best bad guys in Hollywood and in TV mini series. Double top for politicians seeking to score with their voters...

What is wrong with being a bad guy, he usually has the most fun

Ben Stride: What happened up there?
Bill Masters: Payte Bodeen... I killed him.
Ben Stride: Why?
Bill Masters: Why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAKLDrVtH-Q
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

The UK government has as far as I am aware never said they would not respect the GFA .In fact its the EU that have weaponised it in attempt to keep the Uk tied to EU rules and regulations .

The Irish border is a special case ,always has been with the common travel area ,the EU are the problem in not recognising the arrangments that have worked for Ireland and the UK pre Eu membership 

Oh and the Yanks can do one .

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on May 24, 2022, 04:11:53 PM
I don't see why Nancy is chasing the Irish vote. There can't be that many Fenians in California
There's probably about 10% of Americans with Irish ancestry, and probably the same again claiming it. And don't forget, the Irish are favourites among the general population. Quite the opposite for the English, who make the best bad guys in Hollywood and in TV mini series. Double top for politicians seeking to score with their voters...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

We don't have a trade deal with the USA and things are fine. We'll carry on without one. The USA and EU do not rule the UK.
Boris and Liz Truss do. ;D
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 24, 2022, 02:30:16 PM
Isn't Pelosi just telling the UK government like it is — ie, that if the UK chooses not to honour the Good Friday accords, a bilateral UK-US free trade agreement will not get past the US Congress?

I don't see there's much to quibble about. The UK is quick enough to criticise, condemn and apply sanctions to countries and governments it disagrees with...

I don't see why Nancy is chasing the Irish vote. There can't be that many Fenians in California
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on May 24, 2022, 08:24:53 AM
Is this story an uncomfortable truth you dont want to discuss so divert , or have you posted this in the wrong thread.?

Come oan cromwell , you need to up your game a wee bit.

To be honest Tommy, it isn't that interesting a game.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Isn't Pelosi just telling the UK government like it is — ie, that if the UK chooses not to honour the Good Friday accords, a bilateral UK-US free trade agreement will not get past the US Congress?

I don't see there's much to quibble about. The UK is quick enough to criticise, condemn and apply sanctions to countries and governments it disagrees with...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

US delegation sends warning to British Government over unilateral protocol plans

A bipartisan US congressional delegation is due to meet Irish premier Micheal Martin in Dublin

A delegation of politicians from the United States has warned the British Government that unilaterally removing the Northern Ireland Protocol "will not work".
Democratic Congressman Dan Kildee urged Foreign Secretary Liz Truss to engage in face-to-face negotiations with Brussels to resolve the outstanding issues.
It comes as the bipartisan US congressional delegation met with Irish premier Micheal Martin on Monday in Dublin.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/british-government-micheal-martin-british-liz-truss-dublin-b1001736.html

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on May 24, 2022, 08:24:53 AM
Is this story an uncomfortable truth you dont want to discuss so divert , or have you posted this in the wrong thread.?

No Thomas I was just pointing out Stevlins absence might be down to them failing to win the premier league.......again.

You must remember Uganda giving him stick for being a Liverpool supporter?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

back on topic..

U.S.' Pelosi warns Britain: No trade deal unless you respect Northern Ireland peace deal

LONDON, May 20 (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi told Britain there could be no U.S.-UK trade deal if it proceeds with plans to unilaterally scrap some of the rules governing trade with Northern Ireland.

Britain warned European Union authorities this week that it could discard post-Brexit regulations painstakingly negotiated with Brussels including border checks on some goods shipped from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-house-speaker-pelosi-warns-britain-no-trade-deal-unless-you-respect-nirish-2022-05-20/

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on May 24, 2022, 08:17:57 AM
Nothing to do with Brexit,they just keep coming second in the premiership.......there's never been so many gutted scousers since the invention of locking wheel nuts. :P