And with one bound Boris was free !

Started by Borchester, May 27, 2022, 10:41:32 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 01, 2022, 09:27:05 AM
The UK you mean , England is the only country in Europe that doesnt have national elections
i know what you are saying , but not sure i agree. Various uk prime ministers , including the current one , have said england doesnt need a parliament as it already has one , westminster.

Theres no denying westmisnter has been englands parliament for nigh on a thousand years , and only been used as a uk parliament for three hundred. So the reality is , with 82% of the seats in that parliament representing english constituencies , and its always been stacked in england favour for three hundred years , irresepctive of the population difference which was split evenly between england and the three celtic countries at one point , but the three celtic countires didnt get half the seats. So its really englands parliament in disguise.

So my comment stands i think.

...but i also see your point of view. Since 1999 , the old style multi national unitary state ceased to exist when devolution came in , and so england should have "officially" got its own parliament. It didnt though , as the english elite wanted to retain a large piece of control over scotland northern ireland and wales with reserved matters. So here we are.

England appears to be the only country in the uk multi national state , that isnt moving away from fptp , and you have to ask yourself why that is. The anglo elite dont want the two cheeks of the same arse party losing control of the westminster parliament.

...and on we go with the same old same old farce. I didnt support your party ukip , but i thought it a demcoratic disgrace what happend to them when they won millions of votes but couldnt translate that into seats proportioanlly because of the shamefull system england operates , so you have a large measure of my sympathy for what its worth.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on June 01, 2022, 12:46:52 PM
Not quite.

I reckon that Starmer won't want to take any chances on attempting to rejoin the EU. So Sir Stodge will huff and puff and talk about our friends in Europe, but he won't do anything positive because he never does and Brexit will be safe.

And that is all I give a toss about. I won't vote for the Brothers and Sisters, but my world won't come to an end if they get in either.
Forgive me if i take your latest political prediction with a large pinch of seasalt borkie.

Starmer will sign the uk back up to the eu bit by bit , behind closed doors , and it will be done as quietly as possible. Luckily , you have people like me to keep you posted , and of course the likes of farage will be screaming starmers every remainer move from the rooftops.

The very fact you are even burying your head in the sand and deluding yourself of keir not taking any chances shows how desperate you really are.

QuoteAnd that is all I give a toss about. I won't vote for the Brothers and Sisters, but my world won't come to an end if they get in either.
neither will anyone else. The brothers and sisters have a 50/50 chance every election of getting in as they take part in the sham of democracy and two party stitch up for your parliament.

I think the law of averages says they are going to get in sooner rather than later.

If keir starmer does manage to get into power , it wont be through any particular political skill as we know. He will merely have fallen into place through sheer luck and a large slice of fptp gerrymandering stitch up.

He will simply be the latest in a long line of uk prime mininsters running around like a headless chicken trying to stop the rot and decline. It will be fun though watching him taking you back into the EUs arms.:D

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on May 31, 2022, 04:45:23 PM
That put me off coalition government for good.
sorry toots how rude of me , i missed this post.

Why did it put you off coaltion governments?

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on May 31, 2022, 04:36:52 PM
well thats very diplomatic of you ducky.

You must be chuffed to bits at things at the minute. Even old borkie is having second thoughts about brexit , and is about to turn coat and vote sir keir starmer in.

My honest opinion ws blair was a can't. the positive is every time some small c southern english tory like patman or auld borkie votes in the red tories of blairs ilk , labour in scotland lose another voter.

As an outsider , i would say camerons coaltion governemnt with clegg was probably the best government of recent decades at your parliament.

Not quite.

I reckon that Starmer won't want to take any chances on attempting to rejoin the EU. So Sir Stodge will huff and puff and talk about our friends in Europe, but he won't do anything positive because he never does and Brexit will be safe.

And that is all I give a toss about. I won't vote for the Brothers and Sisters, but my world won't come to an end if they get in either.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 01, 2022, 09:27:05 AM
The UK you mean , England is the only country in Europe that doesnt have national elections
Nation, SW, Nation. England is only a country in the eyes of those who wish they were independent of its land mass.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on May 31, 2022, 05:55:23 PM
am i right in saying england is now the only coutry in europe that uses fptp , and operates on a two party system?

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on May 31, 2022, 05:49:07 PM
Well, I say the unrepresented should change their political views 😉.
am i right in saying england is now the only coutry in europe that uses fptp , and operates on a two party system?

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on May 31, 2022, 05:43:02 PM

Blair achieved power by not specifying anything definite, and Cameron copied Blair.

For me, B and C showed the power of platitudes over firm policies that antagonise one side or the other...
Aye.Coudlnt stand thatcher , but she chose her ground and stood by it.

Blair spent a lifetime in politics throiwng off empty slogans and eventually it caught up with him and he did a runner when he saw the writing on the wall.

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 28, 2022, 11:25:36 AM
The more parties the better as far as Im concerned ???

There are gaping holes across the political spectrum that leave people unrepresented from far left to far right . Maybe with more choice the two party system will become governments of multi coalitions .
Well, I say the unrepresented should change their political views 😉. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on May 31, 2022, 04:19:33 PM
Imagine a Venn diagram consisting of two circles:

One circle represents people who broadly support the ideals of 'New Labour' as was.

The other circle represents people who now think the 2003 invasion of Iraq was the correct thing to do.

There would be very little overlap of the circles, suggesting little support for Tony Blair.

I do happen to believe that he was a well-motivated PM who wanted to do his best for Britain, but got it wrong. Same goes for David Cameron (EU referendum) or indeed Margaret Thatcher (privatisations of public utilities).
But Margaret Thatcher achieved the most.

Blair achieved power by not specifying anything definite, and Cameron copied Blair.

For me, B and C showed the power of platitudes over firm policies that antagonise one side or the other...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on May 31, 2022, 04:36:52 PM

You must be chuffed to bits at things at the minute. Even old borkie is having second thoughts about brexit , and is about to turn coat and vote sir keir starmer in.

My honest opinion ws blair was a can't. the positive is every time some small c southern english tory like patman or auld borkie votes in the red tories of blairs ilk , labour in scotland lose another voter.

As an outsider , i would say camerons coaltion governemnt with clegg was probably the best government of recent decades at your parliament.
That put me off coalition government for good.

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on May 31, 2022, 04:19:33 PM

One circle represents people who broadly support the ideals of 'New Labour' as was.

The other circle represents people who now think the 2003 invasion of Iraq was the correct thing to do.

There would be very little overlap of the circles, suggesting little support for Tony Blair.

I do happen to believe that he was a well-motivated PM who wanted to do his best for Britain, but got it wrong. Same goes for David Cameron (EU referendum) or indeed Margaret Thatcher (privatisations of public utilities).

My honest opinion ws blair was a cant. the positive is every time some small c southern english tory like patman or auld borkie votes in the red tories of blairs ilk , labour in scotland lose another voter.

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Tory blair and run away ruth making a return ot front line politics? Im sure this might go down well in some parts of middle england , patman and others might be mildly approving , but its going down like a lead ballon in scotland.

I would think as i said to borkie boris must be thanking his lucky stars. Same as sturgeon and many other political parties and leaders. Has tory blair finally realised what a dud his protege keir starmer is , and decided to take a hands on job himself ?

The delusional ego of some of these has beens is incredible. They believe thier own self wrought hype.

Blair in my opinion is largely at the root of many of the problems the uk faces today , and davidson epitomises the rewarding failure culture others have talked about on here. Got a peerage for winning nothing .

Thomas

I wonder where boycey is? He seems to have disappeared from view after labours humping in scotlands local elections. Im dying to ask boycey what he thinks of voting labour and getting the evil tories.?