Main Menu

Airport chaos

Started by T00ts, May 31, 2022, 11:24:35 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on May 31, 2022, 12:10:50 PM
I didn't realise that. I gathered from reports that a lot had been laid off during Covid, had got other jobs so were not returning, but not that they were cheated. How can they expect to recruit? So that's not the airlines but the airports?
A co pilot had to do the baggage on one flight leaving Manchester so they could actually take off,another cancelled flight the pilot had to call for police assistance because none had brought steps and the plane had been on the tarmac for three hours.

Manchester airport is owned by a consortium of local councils the largest shareholder being Manchester City council who are imo incompetent wastrels and not capable.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

I have discovered that The Man In Seat 61 can get me to my Greek Island wedding anniversary in 2023 by TGV to Bari and an overnight ferry with cabin in a little over 48 hours.

The hotel tell me to let them know the details and dates and they'll send a taxi to the port to collect us.

Screw Bristol Airport.

Admittedly this is a plan to cater for the consultant continuing to ban me from flying lest the reduced air pressure in flight kill me but frankly the more I see this airport chaos the more a scenic view from a train with the socket to charge my kindle and a bar and either a sleeper berth or an overnight hotel stop appeals.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Matt nails it
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on May 31, 2022, 11:24:35 AM
The last time I flew on holiday was the last of several that I had taken alone since my husband died. I was brave for several years but on the last occasion flying Easyjet I decided that the only thing missing was a cattle prod. I found it demeaning, annoying and stressful and that was on a fairly uneventful journey with only a slight delay. I vowed never to do it again.

Now I look at the pictures and read the stories of the poor people in various airports on various airlines over the last few days, having spent a lot of money for a holiday, left in tears, fury and flightless. Some are left waiting hours having even arrived at the boarding gate to be told even then, that they can't go. Police are called to deliver the news presumably for fear of riots. I hope the airlines or whoever in responsible is charged heavily for police time. There are times when a refund is simply not enough.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
Think people are starting to realise that budget airlines are cheap for a reason. And that reason is they pay their staff peanuts, and the first sign of trouble they get new jobs without the hassle. I flew out of Manchester T2 Monday on KLM without any issues. There were big issues at Schiphol, amazingly due to staff shortages, I guess that must be down to Brexit also?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on May 31, 2022, 11:58:29 AM
I know someone who works at Manchester airport,they were treated appallingly during covid despite them  (the employers) getting a wad of cash from HM govt.

Ringing people in the middle of the night demanding they turn up on short notice then sacking them when they refused.

So many were forced out and got other work now they are whining they've not got the staff,surprise surprise.
I didn't realise that. I gathered from reports that a lot had been laid off during Covid, had got other jobs so were not returning, but not that they were cheated. How can they expect to recruit? So that's not the airlines but the airports?

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on May 31, 2022, 11:24:35 AM
The last time I flew on holiday was the last of several that I had taken alone since my husband died. I was brave for several years but on the last occasion flying Easyjet I decided that the only thing missing was a cattle prod. I found it demeaning, annoying and stressful and that was on a fairly uneventful journey with only a slight delay. I vowed never to do it again.

Now I look at the pictures and read the stories of the poor people in various airports on various airlines over the last few days, having spent a lot of money for a holiday, left in tears, fury and flightless. Some are left waiting hours having even arrived at the boarding gate to be told even then, that they can't go. Police are called to deliver the news presumably for fear of riots. I hope the airlines or whoever in responsible is charged heavily for police time. There are times when a refund is simply not enough.

I know someone who works at Manchester airport,they were treated appallingly during covid despite them  (the employers) getting a wad of cash from HM govt.

Ringing people in the middle of the night demanding they turn up on short notice then sacking them when they refused.

So many were forced out and got other work now they are whining they've not got the staff,surprise surprise.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

I believe I've pointed out on here that if the Welsh First Arsehole were to drop dead I'd be the first to cheer because the racist bastard made it his PERSONAL mission to stop people enjoying themselves on holiday LONG after England reopened the international travel ability and he is ON Record on the BBC website AND BBC News saying he deliberately prevented the Welsh from obtaining compatible Travel Passes for that sole reason, his personal control freakery and prejudice.

The bastard has now screwed my attempts to enjoy a wedding Anniversary on a Greek island three years in a row, and we had hoped to be buggering off to Cyprus next week, but that too went down the toilet thanks to that £&#@ and my consultant suggesting I'd die at 8000 feet didn't help much. He's wrong by the way but hey ho

But seeing the utter chaos at multiple airports now including most I've flown from on previous holidays I'm somewhat pleased I cancelled as I'd be running amok with a fire exe if I were stuck in it.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Now I look at the pictures and read the stories of the poor people in various airports on various airlines over the last few days, having spent a lot of money for a holiday, left in tears, fury and flightless. Some are left waiting hours having even arrived at the boarding gate to be told even then, that they can't go. Police are called to deliver the news presumably for fear of riots. I hope the airlines or whoever in responsible is charged heavily for police time. There are times when a refund is simply not enough.