Main Menu

Capital Punishment

Started by Wiggles, January 16, 2020, 10:12:24 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=13349 time=1579193536 user_id=87
Spelling mistakes are just a sign of good of character, so I have no problem with that. How the bleeding hell can a terrorist be a good person?

Well the Germans classed all resistance fighters as terrorists and we and many others found them to be not just good people but often heroic.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Wiggles

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13339 time=1579191676 user_id=48
Really,what about people who say here when they mean hear?

Anyway now we've established terrorists are murderers  and you say aren't good for society have you ever considered some terrorists can be good people as well?

Spelling mistakes are just a sign of good of character, so I have no problem with that. How the bleeding hell can a terrorist be a good person?
A hand up, not a hand out

Major Sinic

My own view is one where I am in favour of CP under certain circumstances.

It is frankly beyond my comprehension that a right thinking person can seriously think that the sub-human scum like Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale who murdered Drummer Lee Rigby have any moral right to still be breathing. Most of the ISIS terrorists and their obscene means of execution should all have forfeit their lives, and the same applies to other terrorists. In my view every convicted IRA murderer should have been executed. All categorised in  this list should in my opinion suffer a mandatory death penalty on conviction.

In addition the death penalty should be an optional sentence open to the courts for other capital crimes which are premeditated and/or serial and/or particularly violent, involve the murder military and civil defence workers or children.

The overarching safeguard should be that there is no risk of error; the crime must be proven beyond any doubt. Also those found guilty of a capital crime but who do not receive a death sentence should be entitled to opt for a sentence of death in place of a long or life prison sentence. Finally the method o execution would be by the administering of a lethal injection

cromwell

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=13332 time=1579189958 user_id=87
I'd certainly get rid of all of them, as well as people that say "can I get" rather than "may I have". I would also execute anyone who says "anythink", and there appears to be thousands of those recently.

Really,what about people who say here when they mean hear?

Anyway now we've established terrorists are murderers  and you say aren't good for society have you ever considered some terrorists can be good people as well?

Barry

I don't think CP will ever be reintroduced in this country. The whole shape of politics and social thinking are completely different from 65 years ago, and I honestly think that it would be impossible to get through the House of Commons.

Personally, I'm in favour, but not strongly so. I appreciate the arguments that people have been wrongly executed in the past and that could happen again, however that is not my reasoning. I would be in favour of CP for any murdering terrorist , child murderer or cop killer.

I'm just mildly uncomfortable at the State of any country having the power to end anyone's life.

Having to spend £1.6 million on keeping a nasty murderer behind bars for 40 years does not seem a huge price to pay.
† The end is nigh †

Wiggles

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13331 time=1579189714 user_id=48
Well terrorists are just murderers really but usually on a larger scale?

I'd certainly get rid of all of them, as well as people that say "can I get" rather than "may I have". I would also execute anyone who says "anythink", and there appears to be thousands of those recently.

cromwell

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=13330 time=1579189077 user_id=87
Some good points there, but you have slightly missed the point. Yes, there are far to many people in the world, and most of us realise that. I have several ideas on how to reduce the worlds population, but most of them unpalatable to the average person. It's not just about quantity though, it's about quality. Murderers and continual offenders are no good for society, and it's society we need to be looking at. I would like to add cyclists to the list as well, but I know there is going to be some liberal snowflake raising an objection, so I won't bother

Well terrorists are just murderers really but usually on a larger scale?

Wiggles

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13324 time=1579185519 user_id=48
OK so let's follow your logic to its conclusion (which is there are far too many people on this world) therefore murderers are by your logic doing us all a favour by stiffing a few,in fact aren't terrorists even better because their aim is mass killing?  :(

Some good points there, but you have slightly missed the point. Yes, there are far to many people in the world, and most of us realise that. I have several ideas on how to reduce the worlds population, but most of them unpalatable to the average person. It's not just about quantity though, it's about quality. Murderers and continual offenders are no good for society, and it's society we need to be looking at. I would like to add cyclists to the list as well, but I know there is going to be some liberal snowflake raising an objection, so I won't bother

cromwell

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=13301 time=1579175421 user_id=87
We kill other species by the million, I don't see the difference, apart from the animals we kill haven't actually done anything wrong. Yes there is a very small chance we may execute the wrong person, like there is a small chance we may lock someone up for life. Personally I would rather be executed by mistake than spend the rest of my life in prison knowing I was innocent. Now your going to say, we may find out that the person in prison is innocent, and we can let them out early. If this is the case, we can't give them back the time, all we can do is throw loads of public money at them. Honestly, the chances of this happening in this day and age are minute, despite what the soap operas may portray

The only possible argument against CP is emotive, and in a country that is horribly over populated, it's time to start being logical

OK so let's follow your logic to its conclusion (which is there are far too many people on this world) therefore murderers are by your logic doing us all a favour by stiffing a few,in fact aren't terrorists even better because their aim is mass killing?  :(

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13321 time=1579184416 user_id=89
You wouldn't if you saw who is on my wife and I's list.

:D  :D  :D

Wiggles

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=13318 time=1579183848 user_id=70
Interesting to note that the majority of MPs have consistently been against the death penalty while public opinion polls have

Something similar with Brexit I believe. Since when have the MP's ever been in tune with public ?

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=13315 time=1579183045 user_id=87
On this occasion I agree with papasmurf

You wouldn't if you saw who is on my wife and I's list.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Interesting to note that the majority of MPs have consistently been against the death penalty while public opinion polls have — except for a few years in the late '60s — been in favour. But no one appeared to want to take any government of the day to court over not following the people's wishes, or not allowing a referendum...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Wiggles

Quote from: Borchester post_id=13309 time=1579180066 user_id=62

Obviously, as right thinking men and women we must all deplore the obscenity of capital punishment, but imagine the condemned in the death cart being taken to dance a jig at Tyburn Tree. Think of the crowds! Christ, the pubs could sell water and still charge a tenner a pint.

On this occasion I agree with papasmurf (first time for everything). It is far more cruel to imprison someone for life, than to give them an easy way out. I support CP based on financial reasons. As it happens you are in the minority. I just looked a youguv poll which indicated 45% are pro, 39% against, and the remainder undecided.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=13309 time=1579180066 user_id=62

Obviously, as right thinking men and women we must all deplore the obscenity of capital punishment,

My wife and I have always been in favour of capital punishment and would be prepared to act as executioners.

What is an inhumane cruel and unusual punishment is life imprisonment.

My wife and I have a long list of people we would just ask for expenses to execute.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe