Main Menu

Capital Punishment

Started by Wiggles, January 16, 2020, 10:12:24 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13305 time=1579178323 user_id=89
"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."  attributed to Arnaud Amalric prior to the massacre at Béziers,

Which has done no harm at all to the tourist trade. I have been to Beziers and there is sod all there apart from a few models of Cathars having a bad time. But it still brings in the tourists.

Obviously, as right thinking men and women we must all deplore the obscenity of capital punishment, but imagine the condemned in the death cart being taken to dance a jig at Tyburn Tree. Think of the crowds! Christ, the pubs could sell water and still charge a tenner a pint.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."  attributed to Arnaud Amalric prior to the massacre at Béziers,
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Wiggles

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13298 time=1579171770 user_id=48
Apart from the morality of killing people.........................

No it's not the 1960's and I hear so often arguments like yours,dna analysis is only as good as the people involved in the procedures and is definitely not 100% accurate which many claim. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/forensic-labs-data-manipulation-criminal-convictions-doubt-randox-testing-services-investigation-a8066966.html">//https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/forensic-labs-data-manipulation-criminal-convictions-doubt-randox-testing-services-investigation-a8066966.html

We kill other species by the million, I don't see the difference, apart from the animals we kill haven't actually done anything wrong. Yes there is a very small chance we may execute the wrong person, like there is a small chance we may lock someone up for life. Personally I would rather be executed by mistake than spend the rest of my life in prison knowing I was innocent. Now your going to say, we may find out that the person in prison is innocent, and we can let them out early. If this is the case, we can't give them back the time, all we can do is throw loads of public money at them. Honestly, the chances of this happening in this day and age are minute, despite what the soap operas may portray

The only possible argument against CP is emotive, and in a country that is horribly over populated, it's time to start being logical
A hand up, not a hand out

cromwell

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=13297 time=1579169544 user_id=87
I can now here someone saying, but what if we have got it wrong, and we execute the wrong person. Well, it's not the 1960s, and we have lot's of technology. We didn't used to have DNA testing, and there wasn't a CCTV camera on every corner. The person in question would also have the right to appeal, but in my world it wouldn't be long and drawn out as it is in the USA. I would suggest the entire process should never take more than a few months, other than very exceptional circumstances.

Apart from the morality of killing people.........................

No it's not the 1960's and I hear so often arguments like yours,dna analysis is only as good as the people involved in the procedures and is definitely not 100% accurate which many claim. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/forensic-labs-data-manipulation-criminal-convictions-doubt-randox-testing-services-investigation-a8066966.html">//https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/forensic-labs-data-manipulation-criminal-convictions-doubt-randox-testing-services-investigation-a8066966.html
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Wiggles

A subject that is sure to get people hot under the collar. I will put my cards on the table, and I am sure this won't surprise anyone, I am against it :D . Just joking of course, I long for it's return, but I am not going to hold my breath.

My reasons may be different others though. I don't believe CP is the ultimate deterrent or punishment. I for one would far rather a quick painless death than the thought of 20 years in prison, being bullied and buggered. For me it's purely down to cost. Figures vary, but it's generally considered it costs about £40k a year plus to keep a murderer in prison. It's not just murderers I would have put down either, it would be repeat offenders that the courts believe  will never become decent human beings. The country has thousands of these people. I believe that with the massive population we have, we need to start being more ruthless, and stop thinking every human life is so precious. If a dog bites someone, we have it destroyed, if a person does the equivalent, it probably won't even get to court. Unlike many people I have spoken to socially, I think the death should be painless and quick. For some strange reason the USA aren't very good at it, and it's always been a complete mystery to me why.  

I can now here someone saying, but what if we have got it wrong, and we execute the wrong person. Well, it's not the 1960s, and we have lot's of technology. We didn't used to have DNA testing, and there wasn't a CCTV camera on every corner. The person in question would also have the right to appeal, but in my world it wouldn't be long and drawn out as it is in the USA. I would suggest the entire process should never take more than a few months, other than very exceptional circumstances.
A hand up, not a hand out