Process To Outlaw Protest + New Green Laws

Started by Scott777, October 15, 2019, 08:40:48 AM

« previous - next »

Cassie

I can't really condone violence, but what did they expect? People could lose their jobs if they are late for work on a regular basis.

Churchill

I think that shows that the General Publics patience is running out with the protesters behaviour instead of winning friends and support their tactics are doing the opposite making people very angry, people who may agree with them but not their tactics.

IMO Many of the protesters are reasonably well off some are very well off  for example the actors who have jetted in to show support, they may be able to afford not work, according to the media some of the organisers are being paid £400 a week to direct the protest which is probbaly far more than those they stopped getting to work on time earn.

I have no wish to see anyone hurt, at least these protesters are not throwing bricks and other missiles at our over stretched  Police which makes a nice change for them, my local Officers have been drafted in working long hours day after day instead of being in my Borough trying to catch burglars drug dealer and street robbers.

It is costing the taxpayers a fortune effecting Londons economy, they have made their point time for them to go home and think again
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell post_id=1064 time=1571335360 user_id=48
Yeah saw that,one guy on the roof kicked someone trying to get him down but when he was pulled off he got a good kicking......bloody awful behaviour on both sides.

I profoundly disagree.

They got what they deserved. Until Communist party officer Kim Howells allowed (and some put it stronger) two of the pickets he was controlling and directing the efforts of during the miners strike to kill a taxi driver taking a strike breaker to work, support for Scargill in the valleys was absolute. A line was crossed and not even Labour making him a Privy Counsellor can erase that bloodstain.

Had they restricted their efforts to merely being a bloody pain at the tube station gates they would have in large measure been ignored. By all sides.which is how it should be. Yes you have the right to be a whingeing snowflake and I have the right to pour scorn on you for it.

Pissing with my right to earn my living and keep the baliffs from my door crosses the line. Especially these days where most of us are barely a week from repossession.

If it were up to me I'd have him denied hospital treatment.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Churchill

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=932 time=1571257334 user_id=59
You clearly don't know the law.  It already allows for prohibition of protest under certain circumstances, even if you haven't done anything wrong.  That's according to statute law, which is passed by parliament.  Tiny tweaks over time will make it even harder to protest, so the process is happening.  Did you know about it?  At what point do you define that it is "banned"?

I know there is legislation to prevent protests under circumstances they is why I posted it earlier Sec 14 as far as I am aware I have never stated banned unless I have made a mistake or typo, I support peaceful protest provided it does not interfere or have a negative impact on the community at large for too long.

I unlike you do not profess to be an expert on English Law but I do understand some of it reasonably well , unless I have miss understood you, you are claiming the Government is trying to ban Peaceful Protest, I claim they are not.

The Police now after days of this protest have had to resort to bringing in Section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986 which gives the Police options to try and avert disorder and behaviour that has a negative impact on the community, and can stipulate where people cannot protest or must move away from.

This is not new legislation since it was put on the Statue books dozens of protests have taken place every year facilitated by the Policer without any serious problems for protesters and the general public.

Yes you cannot be arrested if you are not committing an offence , however if you deliberately obstructing the Public Highway and refuse to move on when instructed by a Police Officer you can be arrested without warrant, which I believe many of these protesters have been

If you cause Criminal Damage to property as alluded to earlier this is what constitutes the offence

Section 1(1) Criminal Damage Act 1971 - A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another, intending to destroy or damage any such property, or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged, shall be guilty of an offence.

If the Government of the day whoever it is wants to ban peaceful protest they would have to formulate far more draconian legislation than exists now, it would be a very sad day if they even tried.

It is at present a given right we all have and long may it continue
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

johnofgwent

Well, what I saw ten minutes ago was mainstream video of an XR T@@@ getting a massively well deserved kicking.

I'm bitterly disappointed I wasn't there to watch. And cheer

Hey, if the snowflake media are showing that,I wonder if liveleaks got details of what they did to the little shits
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell post_id=1064 time=1571335360 user_id=48
Quote from: Churchill post_id=980 time=1571301720 user_id=69
Some commuters in London have taken things into their own hands today when ER protesters tried to disrupt the Underground by climbing on top of the carriages, commuters trying to get to work dragged them off rather forcibly to say the least.

Yeah saw that,one guy on the roof kicked someone trying to get him down but when he was pulled off he got a good kicking......bloody awful behaviour on both sides.

It was Cromwell but I think the public have just had enough of these idiots now . What little support they did have has gone after days of disruption and any future weeks of protest will be met no doubt with similar action by the silent majority

cromwell

Quote from: Churchill post_id=980 time=1571301720 user_id=69
Some commuters in London have taken things into their own hands today when ER protesters tried to disrupt the Underground by climbing on top of the carriages, commuters trying to get to work dragged them off rather forcibly to say the least.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Churchill

Cassie

I'm all for peaceful demonstration, it's the cornerstone of democracy. I don't like to see whole parts of cities closed down and the police having to spend time and resources dealing with them. The police should have little to do if it's a peaceful demonstration.

Churchill

Churchill

I do know that wrong assumption it was mentioned on the news earlier Section 14 Public Order Act being used  therefore I looked it up the Senior Officer  is using that power,

Which amused the reporter as the Protest Organisers have gone to the High Court to challenge the Officers decision whilst the Protest is still on going  mass arrests were  not taking place in Trafalgar Square where she was , and other Protests were also taking place in Whitehall

Relevant piece of of Sec 14

Imposing conditions on public assemblies.

(1)

If the senior police officer, having regard to the time or place at which and the circumstances in which any public assembly is being held or is intended to be held, reasonably believes that—

(a)

it may result in serious public disorder, serious damage to property or serious disruption to the life of the community, or

(b)

the purpose of the persons organising it is the intimidation of others with a view to compelling them not to do an act they have a right to do, or to do an act they have a right not to do,

he may give directions imposing on the persons organising or taking part in the assembly such conditions as to the place at which the assembly may be (or continue to be) held, its maximum duration, or the maximum number of persons who may constitute it, as appear to him necessary to prevent such disorder, damage, disruption or intimidation

It is not a blanket ban on all Protests as you appear to suggest , it is discretionary has been used in the past for EDL Protest etc  only used if deemed  necessary not used often.

Scott777

Quote from: Churchill post_id=889 time=1571249681 user_id=69
As when and if the establishment want to ban peacefully protest we will all know about it  you will be in no doubt about that, it is a right we have had for years and still got it,..

We have seen lawful demos in London end up in serious violence and wholesale damage over many years, but even then the Government has made no move as far as I am aware at all to remove our right to Protest I doubt if we ever will.

You clearly don't know the law.  It already allows for prohibition of protest under certain circumstances, even if you haven't done anything wrong.  That's according to statute law, which is passed by parliament.  Tiny tweaks over time will make it even harder to protest, so the process is happening.  Did you know about it?  At what point do you define that it is "banned"?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Churchill

As when and if the establishment want to ban peacefully protest we will all know about it  you will be in no doubt about that, it is a right we have had for years and still got it,..

We have seen lawful demos in London end up in serious violence and wholesale damage over many years, but even then the Government has made no move as far as I am aware at all to remove our right to Protest I doubt if we ever will.

Scott777

Quote from: Churchill post_id=870 time=1571246765 user_id=69
I think you will find that there is no attempt to ban Peaceful Protests by the Police of anyone else it is a right we all have and I think most people would cherish , if fact a Senior London Police Officer stated today in interview said if you wish to protest contact us and we will help you to do it.

They help plan routes have Officers present for Health and Safety reasons including First Aiders etc etc.

However there is legislation if a protest cause serious disruption the Police can use , arrest have been made but the protest is still on going the Police are allowing it to continue in place such as Trafalgar Square, traffic is flowing and some normality for Londoners is returning IMO the Police are being as hands off as they can.

If they don't act the media have a field day and complaints from the general public come rolling in demanding something to be done, if they make arrest again the media are all over like a rash and the protesters complain.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other

So why will I find thee's no attempt to ban protest?  You stated no reason to support your argument.  Most people want the right, but the establishment doesn't.  If you think protest in a controlled, prescribed way is going to change anything, think again.  If it doesn't cause disruption, it's not proper protest.  My comment is not specific to XR.

Trafalgar Square has also been prohibited from protest.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Churchill

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=693 time=1571125248 user_id=59
I'm sure some people thought I was crazy, but I've been saying for some time that the government is trying to ban protest, and will adopt laws to deal with 'emergency climate action'.

"The regulator's powers will cover climate change legislation and hold the Government to account on the legal commitment to cut greenhouse gases to net zero by 2050, working alongside the existing advisory Committee on Climate Change."

The basic idea is the same as Saddam's WMDs.  Create the threat, provide the solution, profit from the solution.  It's all fitting into place.

As for the ban, I think it's mostly nonsense, because peaceful protest is protected by the ECHR.  But that won't stop police from arresting protesters, including Brexiters.  They will deal with laws soon enough.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor: "The policing operation continues, and we will continue to take action against anyone engaged in unlawful protests at locations targeted by Extinction Rebellion."

In effect, that's two objectives achieved by the XR organisers.  Pressure to justify green laws + justification to ban protest.

https://news.sky.com/story/legally-binding-pollution-targets-outlined-in-environment-bill-11835979">https://news.sky.com/story/legally-bind ... l-11835979">https://news.sky.com/story/legally-binding-pollution-targets-outlined-in-environment-bill-11835979

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50051279">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50051279

I think you will find that there is no attempt to ban Peaceful Protests by the Police of anyone else it is a right we all have and I think most people would cherish , if fact a Senior London Police Officer stated today in interview said if you wish to protest contact us and we will help you to do it.

They help plan routes have Officers present for Health and Safety reasons including First Aiders etc etc.

However there is legislation if a protest cause serious disruption the Police can use , arrest have been made but the protest is still on going the Police are allowing it to continue in place such as Trafalgar Square, traffic is flowing and some normality for Londoners is returning IMO the Police are being as hands off as they can.

If they don't act the media have a field day and complaints from the general public come rolling in demanding something to be done, if they make arrest again the media are all over like a rash and the protesters complain.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other