Main Menu

New members

Started by Barry, June 07, 2022, 03:44:21 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey on June 10, 2022, 09:03:57 PM
FYI, this forum was once on page one when it was the former forum... that is before it became Pol-Tics. It should be of concern actually for Nick that the forum is so low in the search engine if he actually gives a shit for it long term survival. It is a good forum in the sense that the members who use it are of a decent calibre. But it is low in users and really for the forum to be sustainable it needs regular new members if anything to freshen debate even if it is only a handful a month. I couldn't give a shit if we have adverts or if nothing is done as there are other forums. But if nothing is done I do wonder if the regular ten posts can maintain the forum for another ten years at the current tragetory and given you guys are interesting to read that is a loss for the Internet I guess.
some good points raised by yourself and many others. Good to see you back posting boycey by the way.

I think streetwalker summed it up earlier in the thread  , that many of these old style debating platforms are having the same issues as social media takes over. That doesnt mean though we cant attract new members to keep this forum ticking over with new blood injecting new poltical debate. Most of us on here know each others political opinions and debating style inside out.

I wouldnt take too much notice though of patmans latest whinge regading lack of members. He has been serial moaning about lack of members on this forum since the day he joined.

While most of us are sincerely honoured that he spends time coming on here to trade vivacious views with his many devoted admirers on this forum , it would actually help if he , as an existing member of this forum , actually engaged in political debate instead of constantly spending his time baiting others  , while waffling on about copy and paste text or thinking others are as shallow and vain as himself worrying about fackin leaderboards and who sits where.

Generally speaking i think it is a good forum , with decent members on the whole who have a good view and grasp of politics as well as the ability to inject some humour into debate.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

B0ycey

FYI, this forum was once on page one when it was the former forum... that is before it became Pol-Tics. It should be of concern actually for Nick that the forum is so low in the search engine if he actually gives a shit for it long term survival. It is a good forum in the sense that the members who use it are of a decent calibre. But it is low in users and really for the forum to be sustainable it needs regular new members if anything to freshen debate even if it is only a handful a month. I couldn't give a shit if we have adverts or if nothing is done as there are other forums. But if nothing is done I do wonder if the regular ten posts can maintain the forum for another ten years at the current tragetory and given you guys are interesting to read that is a loss for the Internet I guess.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on June 08, 2022, 10:40:49 PM
Are you going to pay for the SEO Barry? The person that insisted that the new forum had no adverts!!
I had better Google ratings when I hosted the forum. I had no adverts and I did the SEO settings myself, Nick.
It didn't cost any extra.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

I don't understand complaints about adverts. They've never put me off this site, and seem to be less than on other sites where they appear when not lodged on.

On the other hand (and I guess I'm a lone voice on this), all the gyrating icons and smileys don't appeal to me one bit and I bet serve to put off casual visitors, who could become participating members of a more active nature than Sean, who's so far this year's solitary signing...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on June 08, 2022, 10:40:49 PM
Are you going to pay for the SEO Barry? The person that insisted that the new forum had no adverts!!

I like adverts.

Apart from that one about earwax, they are usually full of jolly people having a whale of a time.

And how much is this site costing you Nick? I have one that costs about a hundred pounds a year. Admittedly the traffic is just about zero and even I don't use it, but maybe you should look around and see if there are any bargains to be had
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on June 09, 2022, 12:32:17 AM
Everyone has a theory on what needs to happen,speaking purely for myself maybe we should consider if we don't use it we may lose it......I dunno :(
There's probably no argument with that, but how many regular users are there?

I note that the forum picked up a new member (Sean) this year. He joined in January, so something must have attracted him — but he's never posted.

Something isn't happening...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Everyone has a theory on what needs to happen,speaking purely for myself maybe we should consider if we don't use it we may lose it......I dunno :(
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Barry on June 08, 2022, 01:34:58 PM
I did a Google search using "politics forum uk" as the search terms and this forum is not on the first ten pages.
The reason for that can only be poor SEO (Search Engine Optimisation).
The home page does not have the words UK politics forum in the header, but it does have a very nice image banner, but that is not text.
Until we are on the first or second page of a Google search we can't attract new members.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

I'm trying to get things moving, but perhaps our now mostly erstwhile squaddie is correct — the forum is no place to play and have fun...

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on June 07, 2022, 06:33:38 PM
Ok so how many individual posters have been banned in the last year?

Ill save you the trouble of looking,that'll be one.....smurfy and apart from you who delighted in baiting him  no one wants him back.

Nothing to do with liking him or not it was the threats of legal action,but not against mods but people like you.
Smurfy probably has a screw loose and a few obsessions — as have a couple of others — but he was sometimes fun, and his threats of legal action could be ignored. Even the mad-cap misogynistic baron added a bit of life before he got banned.

I must admit that I occasionally log on and have a quick scan, but I see either very little happening, or I have to wade through screeds of text (often copy and paste) from someone who seems intent on knocking smurfy off his Most-prolific-poster perch.

That's why I spend time enjoying posting and playing around (sometimes seriously) on a couple of other forums — including one not totally unknown to some other pol-tics regulars, and which includes regular posters from this forum's previous incarnations...

Streetwalker

Maybe the forum needs a name change to bump it up the listings (not sure if it works like that on the net ) When you used to look in the Yellow pages there was always some smartarse who called their company ABC Boilers only to be outdone by an even smarter smartarse with Aardvark Heating 

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 08, 2022, 02:44:08 PM
We should count ourselves lucky , the forum on page one has got a poster called papasmurf banging on about foodbanks ;)

I missed that, but I noticed that Patman Post is also registered, so maybe he could spread the word as to what a groovy bunch we are and thus attract a few more posters.

http://www.**********
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 08, 2022, 02:44:08 PM
We should count ourselves lucky , the forum on page one has got a poster called papasmurf banging on about foodbanks ;)
:D :D :D :D
and it's a much quieter forum 🤔
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on June 08, 2022, 01:42:16 PM
Not saying it's perfect but had a squint and it's on page four.
We should count ourselves lucky , the forum on page one has got a poster called papasmurf banging on about foodbanks ;)