Ban this film?

Started by cromwell, June 07, 2022, 08:30:14 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on June 10, 2022, 10:04:31 PM
No but that's not the point,we can't allow a minority to rule the majority,in any event they look to be scaring all the cinema chains off.

If I get enough people together is it ok if I come around to your house and stop you posting on here,watching what you want,listening to what you want?

Freedom of speech works both ways Cromwell. The cinema has the right to show it and the protesters have the right to protest against it. Clearly they stayed within their boundaries given I haven't heard of any arrests and ultimately the Chain didn't think the few weeks showing and minor profits was worth the hassle. You can complain about that, wave your Charlie Hedbo in the air, whatever. The truth is you were never going to watch it, and neither was many others who are equally outraged. And ultimately that is why the decision was made. But by all means prove Cineworld wrong. Go to another chain and watch the movie. That is after all the only logical reason to be upset isn't it. You are being prevented from watching a movie you most likely would never have heard of it it wasn't for this story.

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on June 10, 2022, 09:46:15 PM
Was you going to watch it Cromwell?

This has nothing to do with free speech given I am a huge supporter of it and everything to do about safety from my understanding. The firm was unlikely to make much profit, perhaps a few weeks run on a single timeslot and in return you had people protesting at your chain and staff being harassed. It made sense for them to pull it and if you want to make a point they are wrong you best go out and see it at another chain. If not, they did the right thing. Capitalism baby.
No but that's not the point,we can't allow a minority to rule the majority,in any event they look to be scaring all the cinema chains off.

If I get enough people together is it ok if I come around to your house and stop you posting on here,watching what you want,listening to what you want?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on June 07, 2022, 08:30:14 PM
No sod off if you don't like it this is a land of freedom of expression.

By all means if you are unhappy protest peacefully but people should not be intimidated or stopped from viewing this.

If Saudi Arabia bans it fine that's their choice and society,this is ours.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jun/07/uk-cinema-chain-cancels-screenings-of-film-the-lady-of-heaven-after-protests
Was you going to watch it Cromwell? 

This has nothing to do with free speech given I am a huge supporter of it and everything to do about safety from my understanding. The firm was unlikely to make much profit, perhaps a few weeks run on a single timeslot and in return you had people protesting at your chain and staff being harassed. It made sense for them to pull it and if you want to make a point they are wrong you best go out and see it at another chain. If not, they did the right thing. Capitalism baby.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 10, 2022, 06:22:53 PM
Minorities get power by the majority turning a blind eye and saying it doesn't matter .  Do you really think people with any backbone are going to cower and hide just because  a few mussas  get all excited about  some foriegn god ? 
Are you going to stand up and confront them?

Having faced BNP and affiliated thugs, I've done my bit. So I'm not prepared to physically argue the toss over anyone's God — even if we're supposed to share Him/Her...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on June 09, 2022, 07:45:53 PM
Hmm. Let's not bother going out in the street. There might be an unstable Islamist hothead around about to mount the kerb with an SUV to run us down whilst shouting Allahu Akbar.
Or, better, do not kowtow to threats from religious nutcases or anyone else and get on with life.
How is the teacher from Batley getting on - is he still in hiding after 15 months?
Maybe he is,maybe he's not a strong character,maybe he's been threatened more than once.

Its easy to say just go out but if a society allows this maybe he should stay in hiding else what do you get religious nutters wanting to kill people and crazy nutters who decide the answer is to go out and kill some random Muslim.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on June 10, 2022, 03:05:19 PM
I think, with only one in 180 of us being Muslim in this country, it's unlikely most of us would ever be confronted by "an unstable Islamist hothead around about to mount the kerb with an SUV to run us down whilst shouting Allahu Akbar".

But if there's a demonstrating crowd of notorious excitables around, and threats already voiced, I think I'd make any contact less likely by avoiding the area until any unrest dies down...
Minorities get power by the majority turning a blind eye and saying it doesn't matter .  Do you really think people with any backbone are going to cower and hide just because  a few mussas   get all excited about  some foriegn god ?  

patman post

Quote from: Barry on June 09, 2022, 07:45:53 PM
Hmm. Let's not bother going out in the street. There might be an unstable Islamist hothead around about to mount the kerb with an SUV to run us down whilst shouting Allahu Akbar.
Or, better, do not kowtow to threats from religious nutcases or anyone else and get on with life.
How is the teacher from Batley getting on - is he still in hiding after 15 months?
I think, with only one in 180 of us being Muslim in this country, it's unlikely most of us would ever be confronted by "an unstable Islamist hothead around about to mount the kerb with an SUV to run us down whilst shouting Allahu Akbar".

But if there's a demonstrating crowd of notorious excitables around, and threats already voiced, I think I'd make any contact less likely by avoiding the area until any unrest dies down...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 07, 2022, 09:06:25 PM
Good advertising that , more people willgo and see it now that the mussas are trying to ban it .  Reminds me of when people rushed out to buy the Satanic verses book ,what a load of crap that was , I hope the films better .

Agreed.

Not a bad movie, but really schmultzy. And the PR department really went overboard with "reviewers" giving it 10 out of 10.

The real problem is this wretched war. Before Putin started his nonsense you could always rely on the Russians to provide a decent cinema quality torrent, but lately all we are getting are these crap video cam versions.

So much for Vlad's love of culture
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on June 09, 2022, 05:40:18 PM
How long since you could enjoy a flick in the one-and-nines...?

Well, my VOXI rolling monthly deal includes the option to try to grab a "deal code" that gives me two seats for £7. Now before the pandemic all seats were £4.95 but today they have three bands, the front seats are I think £7.95 the mid rows £8.95 and the back rows more again. So two seats at £3.50 each us a good deal.

The Cineworld in central Newport closed its doors for the pox, it's last performance had ticket prices of £11.95, £7 more than the Vue up the road. I don't know what the surviving Cineworld on a Newport retail park charges now and I won't know as they took the bar out and installed a Starbucks franchise. 

I paid £2.50 to watch Rogue One the month it came out at the Maxime in Blackwood. The price for the 8th star wars main line there was £3.50 and it was the only film I've watched where I felt cheated by an arrogant production machine.

I won't be going back to the Maxime any time soon, but that's sod all to do with the cinema. There was a REALLY nice curry house down the end of the road almost opposite the place and a couple of carloads of us used to go mob handed to see a film there, then pile out for a curry. Sadly the proprietor retired and there's some woke Vietnamese vegan shithole there now. Until they go bust ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: patman post on June 09, 2022, 04:19:43 PM
Personally, I don't blame cinema owners for being careful if they've reason to believe there's some unstable Islamic hotheads around. Cinemas have customers and staff to consider if they feel their actions might be judged confrontational. If push came to shove, their Gods may not be able to protect them against blades, explosives or guns...
Or, better, do not kowtow to threats from religious nutcases or anyone else and get on with life.
How is the teacher from Batley getting on - is he still in hiding after 15 months?

† The end is nigh †

patman post

How long since you could enjoy a flick in the one-and-nines...?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 08, 2022, 08:14:37 PM
Ive banned cineworld for their cowardice and will go elsewhere for my night out at the flicks .
I've banned them for their bloody ridiculous seat prices (twice what The Vue in Cwmbran, and three times what the Maxime Art deco place in Blackwood) want per seat. Screw that.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 08, 2022, 08:14:37 PM
Ive banned cineworld for their cowardice and will go elsewhere for my night out at the flicks .
Personally, I don't blame cinema owners for being careful if they've reason to believe there's some unstable Islamic hotheads around. Cinemas have customers and staff to consider if they feel their actions might be judged confrontational. If push came to shove, their Gods may not be able to protect them against blades, explosives or guns...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on June 08, 2022, 06:34:54 PM
From the reviews I've read (lodged after all this fuss) the film doesn't rate more than two out of five stars — the dialogue is judged banal, the story infantile, and the cinematography poor. Other than that it seems OK, but now destined for greater viewing figures because of Islam's version of Mary Whitehouse screaming blasphemy — possibly even before they've seen it.

Although I can understand cinemas pulling its screening if they fear violent reaction, I think the local Muslim clique's criticism is as valid as people here condemning the use of Black people in traditional (?) White roles, and White actors taking roles of other ethnicities...
Ive banned cineworld for their cowardice and will go elsewhere for my night out at the flicks . 

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on June 07, 2022, 08:30:14 PM
No sod off if you don't like it this is a land of freedom of expression.

By all means if you are unhappy protest peacefully but people should not be intimidated or stopped from viewing this.

If Saudi Arabia bans it fine that's their choice and society,this is ours.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jun/07/uk-cinema-chain-cancels-screenings-of-film-the-lady-of-heaven-after-protests
From the reviews I've read (lodged after all this fuss) the film doesn't rate more than two out of five stars — the dialogue is judged banal, the story infantile, and the cinematography poor. Other than that it seems OK, but now destined for greater viewing figures because of Islam's version of Mary Whitehouse screaming blasphemy — possibly even before they've seen it.

Although I can understand cinemas pulling its screening if they fear violent reaction, I think the local Muslim clique's criticism is as valid as people here condemning the use of Black people in traditional (?) White roles, and White actors taking roles of other ethnicities...