Tory Rebels Prepare For Fight Over Northern ireland protocol bill

Started by Thomas, June 12, 2022, 12:39:11 PM

« previous - next »

Baff

The EU's ability to have a trade war with Russia should give you better insight on the likelihood of them having one with the UK.

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 13, 2022, 10:24:18 AM
Well its obvious the guy is a nationalist
? He isnt a "nationalist ". In political terms he is classed as a british unionist/loyalist. Parties like sinn fein are the ones classed as nationalists.

QuoteBut , its not who the author of the peice thats important
I disagree. I think it important to point out this isnt some random guy off the internet who you happen to agree with......he is a sectarian terrorist mouthpiece.

Quote. I dont for one minute think the UK government is going to him for guidence on the matter of the protocol
im not suggesting they are. Im pointing out if right wing british nationalists in england are relying on his latest "no surrender " article to justify ripping up an international agreement , then you are in trouble.

QuoteIm not that bothered in keeping the union alive ,devolution has weakened its foundations  anyway ,but would like democracy to be upheld
So we keep hearing , but your country spends an extraordinary amount of time money and effort keeping the union alive , so much so in the place we are talking about , the 6 counties , you sent the armed forces in to do just that , as well as spending more than the annual eu membership keeping them in your union. So it does sound rather hollow.

As for democracy being upheld ,thats the crux we have been talking about these last 6 years , on which parts of democracy must be upheld and override others. For exmple , the brexit referendum versus the GFA that constantly rears its head in the 6 counties.

QuoteLike in Scotland the people of N Ireland will in the future decide their own destiny and having the views from all sides of the debate will be important  in coming to the right decision
its always tomorrow though isnt it streetwalker? Northern ireland voted against brexit as we know , and further , regarding this protocal , it was only a number of weeks back that the majority in northern ireland voted FOR pro protocal mla`s. 58% of northern irish politicians signed a letter condemning johnsons actions. So we have had the deabte , and numerous no decisions regarding englands brexit.
devolution has weakened its foundations  anyway
Devolution is a symptom not the problem.
The  supremacy of UK courts and protecting the constitutional integrity of the UK were basic requirments of the leave vote
The article is bollocks. Since 1921 , northern ireland was set up by the british as a place apart , governed seperately , a separate legal jurisdiction compeltely different from england and wales.

When the unionists had the upper hand , this "difference" in the constitutional integrity of the uk didnt matter. FAst forward past the troubles , the signing of the GFA , and the rise of the non unionist popualation in terms of numbers . Minority groups and hardcore fanatics like bryson saw brexit as an opportunity to ride roughshod over the GFA and set up a hard border between their "wee country" and the south.

Nothing to do with englands brexit and the constitutional integrity of the uk.

Internal secatarian divisions and politics at play , as a hardcore unionist minority see the writing on the wall for what was once their sectarian apartheid state.

We will see whathappens.

Johnson looks to be using NI to placate his own ERG rebels , and buy himself some time. If his bill passes in the commons , it looks like it could possibly take around 12 months to get through the lords im hearing. Then it has the face the international community . I think he knows fine well there is a good chance it could fail.

QuoteWhen we have that whatever follows is ours to deal with without hinderence from others
i think this is naive fantasy. The idea you can act as you please .The yanks and the EU , along with the international community are already involved as guarentors of the GFA , and breaking that , and a further explosion of violence and return to the bad old days wont go down well. We could be heading for a trade war , or worse.

The idea you can do as you please without consequences isnt realistic , and i think many in the commons know this  , hence the anger at johnsons behaviour. As i said we will see.

I think johnson is merely bluffing and attempting to buy time myself , and knows many others  , not least in his own party , are going to shoot this down in flames.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 13, 2022, 10:24:18 AM

But , its not who the author of the peice thats important  but the points that are raised.  The  supremacy of UK courts and protecting the constitutional integrity of the UK were basic requirments of the leave vote . When we have that whatever follows is ours to deal with without hinderence from others .
Agreed
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on June 13, 2022, 08:00:25 AM
before commenting on the article , i will wait to see events unfold. Just a word of caution here .....do you know who jamie bryson is streetwalker?

He is a mouthpiece for uvf loyalist terrorists , he has been photographed with them and gives oratories at their shrines. If this is who right wing english/british nationalism is going to regarding the protocol and events in northern ireland , then quite clearly i think we are headed for trouble on the horizon .

I think you are playing with fire here streetwalker. Jamie bryson doesnt represent the mainstream majority of northern ireland , on any issue never mind the protocal. Its the mainstream majority in both northern ireland and scotland you need on your side to keep your union alive.........not knuckle dragging clowns like jamie weeearrraaappeepul  bryson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Bryson
Well its obvious the guy is a nationalist but no I wasnt aware he was also the mouthpiece of the UVF .  Its good to see the views of the Nationalists though ,wether he speaks for the majority ,minority or whatever . I dont for one minute think the UK government is going to him for guidence on the matter of the protocol .

Im not that bothered in keeping the union alive ,devolution has weakened its foundations  anyway ,but would like democracy to be upheld . Like in Scotland the people of N Ireland will in the future decide their own destiny and having the views from all sides of the debate will be important  in coming to the right decision .

But , its not who the author of the peice thats important   but the points that are raised.  The  supremacy of UK courts and protecting the constitutional integrity of the UK were basic requirments of the leave vote . When we have that whatever follows is ours to deal with without hinderence from others .

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 12, 2022, 05:45:34 PM
The bill being put before parliament will reinforce the constitutional integrity of the union , no tory would be seen voting against that on Monday .

The inside story of the battle over the Protocol Bill (unionistvoice.com)

I think the government are saying the border in the Irish sea was only ever meant to be a tempoary situation (here we go again ) and that in any case there is no legal requirements nor has there ever been for checks in the irish sea .
before commenting on the article , i will wait to see events unfold. Just a word of caution here .....do you know who jamie bryson is streetwalker?

He is a mouthpiece for uvf loyalist terrorists , he has been photographed with them and gives oratories at their shrines. If this is who right wing english/british nationalism is going to regarding the protocol and events in northern ireland , then quite clearly i think we are headed for trouble on the horizon .

I think you are playing with fire here streetwalker. Jamie bryson doesnt represent the mainstream majority of northern ireland , on any issue never mind the protocal. Its the mainstream majority in both northern ireland and scotland you need on your side to keep your union alive.........not knuckle dragging clowns like jamie weeearrraaappeepul  bryson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Bryson

Barry

The bill being put before parliament will reinforce the constitutional integrity of the union , no tory would be seen voting against that on Monday .

I think the government are saying the border in the Irish sea was only ever meant to be a tempoary situation (here we go again ) and that in any case there is no legal requirements nor has there ever been for checks in the irish sea .
Thanks for that excellent link. I hope that by the end of June the protocol will be scrapped fixed. 
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Baff

The bill being put before parliament will reinforce the constitutional integrity of the union , no tory would be seen voting against that on Monday . .

Depends which union their loyalties are to.

Streetwalker

Thomas

Government Accused Of Pandering To DUP As Tory Rebels Prepare For Fight Over Northern Ireland Protocol Bill

The government has been accused of ignoring the majority of Stormont's political parties in the process of writing legislation that is designed to override the Northern Ireland Protocol.

The bill, which Foreign Secretary Liz Truss is set to unveil to the House of Commons on Monday, is expected to trigger a row with a number of Conservative MPs who believe the plan risks breaking international law, and is also strongly opposed by the European Union.
The government argues, however, that it needs to take this action in order to protect the Good Friday peace agreement and get the government in Belfast up and running.
The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) is blocking the formation of an Executive over their opposition to the Northern Ireland Protocol, which was agreed as part of Brexit talks. 
The treaty was designed to avoid a contentious hard border on the island of Ireland, but resulted in new barriers to trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The UK and EU are committed to reducing these barriers, but have failed to agree changes after many months of negotiations.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/government-set-for-northern-ireland-protocol-bill-outrage-leaks-show

should be an interesting week ahead.