The nhs GP practices and private companies

Started by cromwell, June 13, 2022, 08:46:38 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 14, 2022, 05:43:02 AM
Up to 2000 we had roughly 1 GP for every 1000 people in the country today in some areas that can be at least double that . Its a toss up between not enough GP's or too many people (driven by immigration )
One things for sure , the non medical staff are a waste of time and from my experiance act as a hurdle you have to jump if you want to talk to someone who can sift through the medical information to be found on google .

To be honest Im fed up with talking to people on the phone at the NHS who are making judgments on what I can remember to tell them rather than what they should be looking at .
Oh don't get me started on fucking receptionists.

My mother was a police surgeons receptionist in the multi function health centre in Tiger Bay encompassing medical, dental, police investigatory (non forensic) and port health authority facilities. This was the 70s. Today her successors all think they know more than the fucking GP 

As I've said before both my cataract operations went south needing follow up surgery. It is a well understood problem and the surgical fix has a fairly good outcome 90% of the time 

But not when a receptionist on hearing the problem over the phone when you call the emergency problem support line tells you what you are having happen is a perfectly normal side effect which will resolve itself.

I believed the bitch and went round with a detached retina for a month. The consultant to whom the optician referred me back at the check up went absolutely ape shit ballistic.

The damage was so bad he had to refer me to someone better skilled with better equipment. THEY fixed the damage but not before telling me straight there was only a 30% chance I would not go blind in that eye through leaving it that I Ng (thinking I had ignored the advice to seek help). He was not at all happy to hear I'd been told what I had been...

But the bitch was still in her job four years later and told me the same again when the second cataract op went south. She also tried to protest that "this isn't a walk in clinic you can't just come here and demand to see a doctor"

That's when I rang the Health Ministers direct office phone line handed to me after the first disaster and told the wanker answering the phone on behalf of the minister "we had a problem"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

I sympathise with both you John and SW,the nhs has been buggered about with far too often in political football and point scoring by the major party machines.

We have trusts that you would t trust to treat minor injury more driven by pretending to achieve targets and being bureaucratic nightmares than providing health care.

The Doctors,Nurses and ancillary staff usually try to provide the service to Joe public that it was set up for,sadly it's hampered by the aforementioned politicians and bureaucracy.

On a side note that Hunt is considering running for pm is a joke,his hand is on some of the present woes his wallet I leave to your conclusions.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on June 13, 2022, 08:46:38 PM
Do we wonder why the nhs we loved and relied on for decades has gone bad,sold off to the yanks.

The bbc and panorama.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61759641

Up to 2000 we had roughly 1 GP for every 1000 people in the country today in some areas that can be at least double that . Its a toss up between not enough GP's or too many people (driven by immigration ) 
One things for sure , the non medical staff are a waste of time and from my experiance act as a hurdle you have to jump if you want to talk to someone who can sift through the medical information to be found on google .

To be honest Im fed up with talking to people on the phone at the NHS who are making judgments on what I can remember to tell them rather than what they should be looking at .

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on June 13, 2022, 11:00:23 PM
Well tbh John I avoid doctors but they saved my and my mothers life when I was born,on the occasions I needed them it was there.

I Went to the doctors in the seventies with a a small lump had an appointment and operation the following week,they suspected cancer but thankfully it wasn't.

Its very different now,anyone who thinks paying private the way forward only need look at the spire
https://keepournhspublic.com/spire-fails-in-its-duty/

I wish I could avoid them. The mountain of things I have to take each day is growing not reducing and it seems they drive me to a corner from which there is no escape. I'm speaking of the physical restrictions the tablets put on me to stop things breaking but there is a mental load with that of course ...

The fact is I'm an overweight slob approaching 65 who can barely complete a four mile walk without the circulation in my legs going to hell in a handcart and last time I got on my pushbike about five months ago I had to pack it in and head for home after seven miles, making it a mere nine and a half miles total.

Yes our mental health mentors in work point to the fact a sixty five year old is no mean feat most children in Melissa's school never mind a lot of people my age would fail to complete that and last Friday the heart failure clinic nurse listened in increasing disbelief as I recounted my yomp along freshwater west's beach and sand dunes, and it wasn't until I showed her my GPS track from my cheap smart watch they truly believed me.

But five years ago that would have been a thirty Mile bike ride ... I am a passenger in my own personal car crash ....

I read the Spire link with some dismay. I hear these incidents of course and they are the extreme end of a private medicine philosophy that because you have the insurance we can run the tests. In my own case I had private insurance at my former bank job at Barclays and yes, it provided for my daughter's operation on her foot to rectify the worst of the damage done by the bullying bitch who deliberately tripped her up sending her sprawling down a grassy embankment that royally fucked her ability to swim Olympic qualifying times, and when I almost wrecked my Achilles tendon it provided the "space boot" technology and an MRI to treat the injury, but when I used them after my first heart failure problem in 2010 it very VERY quickly exhausted the outpatient allowance and left me with bills (some never paid, I later realised) that caused stress beyond the original condition. My current banking job carries similar private health perks. I declined them, meeting the raised eyebrows of several managers with the tale of my Barclays plan disaster.

The real problem in Wales is a management structure that has no interest in oversight of those they are supposed to manage, and so on. 

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 13, 2022, 10:35:00 PM
I feel compelled to ask if you are the latest victim of the "blue cornishman" virus as you ain't half sounding like him ....
Well tbh John I avoid doctors but they saved my and my mothers life when I was born,on the occasions I needed them it was there.

I Went to the doctors in the seventies with a a small lump had an appointment and operation the following week,they suspected cancer but thankfully it wasn't.

Its very different now,anyone who thinks paying private the way forward only need look at the spire 
https://keepournhspublic.com/spire-fails-in-its-duty/

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 13, 2022, 10:42:49 PM
I think I've posted how I ended up assisting at Sarah's arrival and using my cricketing skills to catch Jennifer before she dived off the delivery table ...

The NHS at inception was the provider of little more than the Roman Soldiers death clubs (a payment from your numeratum guaranteed you a burial in all but extreme circumstances) and it has been playing catch up with idealism ever since costs always outstrip funding.

Private medicine is best shown for this in the USA of course. The cost of the health insurance for our trip to Alaska was ten times that of the trip to Zante the year earlier and in those days my health was hugely better than now...
My family has always maintained 'buy cheap buy twice'! 

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on June 13, 2022, 10:21:12 PM
Just thinking back I thought the Doctor would always make me feel better but then I was a child. I had private medicine through college so it was in my 20s when I suddenly realised how far down the pecking order of importance I was. The realisation came when I was left in labour for 48 hours over Christmas without food or water and little company. The Consultant was called part way through Boxing Day and panic ensued. My eldest was born ok - just - but spent the first day in intensive care and when I had my second the Consultant still remembered that I had ruined his Christmas. I will leave the other details of my prolonged stay to your imagination. I left the day I walked into the nursery to find a nursing sister holding a newborn head down by one ankle over his crib and on seeing me simply opened her hand causing him to fall the couple of feet back into his crib. Fortunately for her it wasn't my child, but I subsequently reported her and signed myself out together with my infant.

I guess it was then and many times of poor care since that have made me realise just how unimportant we are. I guess if you still get heavily financed regardless of the service you provide, there is no incentive to improve or better the non existent competition. When the Government pays there is little recognition for the real customers - the tax payers.

I think I've posted how I ended up assisting at Sarah's arrival and using my cricketing skills to catch Jennifer before she dived off the delivery table ...

The NHS at inception was the provider of little more than the Roman Soldiers death clubs (a payment from your numeratum guaranteed you a burial in all but extreme circumstances) and it has been playing catch up with idealism ever since costs always outstrip funding.

Private medicine is best shown for this in the USA of course. The cost of the health insurance for our trip to Alaska was ten times that of the trip to Zante the year earlier and in those days my health was hugely better than now...

johnofgwent

Do we wonder why the nhs we loved and relied on for decades has gone bad,sold off to the yanks.

The bbc and panorama.

I feel compelled to ask if you are the latest victim of the "blue cornishman" virus as you ain't half sounding like him ....

T00ts

Just thinking back I thought the Doctor would always make me feel better but then I was a child. I had private medicine through college so it was in my 20s when I suddenly realised how far down the pecking order of importance I was. The realisation came when I was left in labour for 48 hours over Christmas without food or water and little company. The Consultant was called part way through Boxing Day and panic ensued. My eldest was born ok - just - but spent the first day in intensive care and when I had my second the Consultant still remembered that I had ruined his Christmas. I will leave the other details of my prolonged stay to your imagination. I left the day I walked into the nursery to find a nursing sister holding a newborn head down by one ankle over his crib and on seeing me simply opened her hand causing him to fall the couple of feet back into his crib. Fortunately for her it wasn't my child, but I subsequently reported her and signed myself out together with my infant.

I guess it was then and many times of poor care since that have made me realise just how unimportant we are. I guess if you still get heavily financed regardless of the service you provide, there is no incentive to improve or better the non existent competition. When the Government pays there is little recognition for the real customers - the tax payers.

Borchester

The bbc and panorama.

No.

I don't know when this golden yesterday of the NHS was, but it must have been before my time.

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Do we wonder why the nhs we loved and relied on for decades has gone bad,sold off to the yanks.

The bbc and panorama.