The ECHR - should we LEAVE?

Started by HallowedBrexit, June 15, 2022, 11:17:31 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on August 08, 2022, 09:04:13 PM
And in 1952 the electorate said God bless Clem and the NHS, and slung him out because he was boring.
Labour probably lost more because not enough had changed after the hardships of war. So life hadn't changed enough for it not to be boring.

Food rationing was still in place, bomb damage still blighted cities, and Labour had a small enough majority for a swing to the Conservatives of less than 1 per cent to put Attlee out of office...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on August 08, 2022, 10:02:14 AM
Wanting to change a court because of what it calls itself betrays a kind of obsessive inanity.

And wanting to change it because it sometimes makes decisions some of us don't like is the start of a slippery slope at the bottom of which lies populist fascism.
But then anyone who stands up against bad policy decisions is automatically branded a fascist, so they just continue until enough people say enough is enough.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 08, 2022, 10:02:14 AM
Wanting to change a court because of what it calls itself betrays a kind of obsessive inanity.

And wanting to change it because it sometimes makes decisions some of us don't like is the start of a slippery slope at the bottom of which lies populist fascism.
Having basically the same rules and rights is  not the point , how they are implemented is .  The European court is directed by civil law which has its rules and regulations embeded in the written constitutions of European countries .

Our Common law deals with issues as they arise , the ECHR deals with issues within a framework already in place and is less flexible . 

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 08, 2022, 05:12:35 PM
And he was actually thrown out of office by a grateful nation at the '45 election because he was associated with hardship and struggle, and Attlee promised something rosier...

And in 1952 the electorate said God bless Clem and the NHS, and slung him out because he was boring.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on August 08, 2022, 03:12:54 PM
Well I voted leave but Pat is right we were in there at the begining so just leaving without much thought doesn't make sense.

People like Churchill could hardly be called woke or liberal.
And he was actually thrown out of office by a grateful nation at the '45 election because he was associated with hardship and struggle, and Attlee promised something rosier...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on August 08, 2022, 03:49:24 PM
Why does everyone mention Churchill at such times?

Churchill's idea was a union of the British Empire and France so as to face off the Nazis. And he was far too polite to mention that it was pretty much a given that the UK would be running the show. Pat's dream is to kiss the EU's arse and if that knocked a shilling off the toll on the A-1: Paris-Lille motorway he would throw in a blow job.

Pat has already said that he is thinking of leaving the UK because of racism and Morrison's refusal to give him a permanent parking space at their Stamford Hill branch. I can only wish him God speed and hope that he can find the airport on his sat nav.
The heat seems to be getting to Mr B as he hoes among his cabbages and leaks — the ECHR has nothing to do with the UK's membership or other wise of the EU. 

Yes, I believe the U.K. has shot itself in the foot by imposing trade restrictions on itself with some of its closest neighbours.

But that's nothing to do with the UK's membership or otherwise of the ECHR.

And if people are confusing the ECJ with the ECHR, because of their antipathy to the EU, then I suggest that shows just how much their opinions should be valued.

For the other comments, we prefer Auchan to Morrisons, we don't travel via Lille to our place in 78100, and we have a Liber-t pass on the windscreen for autoroutes...

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on August 08, 2022, 03:12:54 PM
Well I voted leave but Pat is right we were in there at the begining so just leaving without much thought doesn't make sense.

Why does everyone mention Churchill at such times?

Churchill's idea was a union of the British Empire and France so as to face off the Nazis. And he was far too polite to mention that it was pretty much a given that the UK would be running the show. Pat's dream is to kiss the EU's arse and if that knocked a shilling off the toll on the A-1: Paris-Lille motorway he would throw in a blow job.

Pat has already said that he is thinking of leaving the UK because of racism and Morrison's refusal to give him a permanent parking space at their Stamford Hill branch. I can only wish him God speed and hope that he can find the airport on his sat nav.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on August 08, 2022, 03:03:05 PM
Each to his own Pat, but you are a remainer and therefore not British, so who gives a toss what you think?

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 08, 2022, 02:08:12 PM
I know the Mail and its followers blame the ECHR, judges, lawyers, university professors, BBC, etc, for many of the country's ills, but I don't think the UK should leave the ECHR.

It was in at the inception and formation and, although the UK incorporates many/most/all (? - to show I don't know) in its HRA, I can't see it does any harm to have additional scrutiny of how HR are applied...

Each to his own Pat, but you are a remainer and therefore not British, so who gives a toss what you think?
Algerie Francais !

patman post

I know the Mail and its followers blame the ECHR, judges, lawyers, university professors, BBC, etc, for many of the country's ills, but I don't think the UK should leave the ECHR.

It was in at the inception and formation and, although the UK incorporates many/most/all (? - to show I don't know) in its HRA, I can't see it does any harm to have additional scrutiny of how HR are applied...

srb7677

Quote from: Baff on August 08, 2022, 09:49:27 AM
The UK wants to change the court it uses to preside over this.
And yes having European in the title of the court is one reason why it wants to change it.
The other is that that said court makes such shit rulings.

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on July 12, 2022, 01:35:30 PM
So which one does the uk want to change if it were to leave.
Is it because the word European is in the title
The UK wants to change the court it uses to preside over this.
And yes having European in the title of the court is one reason why it wants to change it.
The other is that that said court makes such shit rulings.

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 11, 2022, 03:50:33 PM
Torture has never been part of the English legal system

And yet ...

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Torture-in-the-Tower-of-London/

"Torture has never been officially permitted under English law. Those who carried out this brutal practice in the Tower acted under the direct orders and authority of the Privy Council and the monarch.

The three main instruments of torture employed at the Tower were the rack, the Scavenger's Daughter and the manacles."
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on July 11, 2022, 03:50:33 PM
So do most other judicial systems

Clause 39 of Magna Carta guaranteed the right to a fair trial 800 years ago.

Torture has never been part of the English legal system, although being on the wrong side of the powers that be has never been a good idea either.

In 1772 the Sommersett case did not abolish slavery, but the English though it did and acted as though it did.

Gerry is ok and being only 13. should be excused his teenage whoring around for attention. But it wouldn't be a bad idea is he read a book once in a while.
So which one does the uk want to change if it were to leave.
Is it because the word European is in the title