Britain's decision to tear up Northern Ireland Protocol 'astonishing people around the world'

Started by SKY News, June 16, 2022, 07:06:34 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 01:25:46 PM
I would say that too.
But since it isn't, I don't.

Google is your friend.
Have you asked permission from the european courts of justice to end the protocol yet baffy? I tell you if we want to know something we ask the bosses in brussells rather than the monkeys  in london.:D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 01:25:46 PM
I would say that too.

Google is your friend.
:D

imagine having a border set by foreigners in part of your own state. :D

Baff

Quote from: Thomas on June 18, 2022, 01:22:49 PM
i would say northern ireland still being part of the EU is a major concession the uk has given to the EU wouldnt you?

I would say that too.

Google is your friend.

QuoteThe EU countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

QuoteNorthern Ireland (Irish: Tuaisceart Éireann [ˈt̪ˠuəʃcəɾˠt̪ˠ ˈeːɾʲən̪ˠ] (listen);[7] Ulster-Scots: Norlin Airlann) is a part of the United Kingdom that is variously described as a country, province, territory or region

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 01:22:30 PM
The key and most important reason for the protocol to be addressed is to make clear and unequivocally to people like yourself that NI is part of the UK.

baffy , you need to read what im writing mate , not what you think i am writing. Northern ireland is indeed part of the uk , and no one disputes that. But the uk im told voted to leave the eu in 2016.......and 6 years on northern ireland is still part of it.

How embarressing.

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 01:16:21 PM
Correct. Concessions are indeed concessions.
How minor they are is a matter of personal judgement.

i would say northern ireland still being part of the EU is a major concession the uk has given to the EU wouldnt you? You cant get any more of a concession giving another entity part of your own state .

I put it to you that most of the checks the EU were calling for have been suspended.

The vast bulk of them. And that those suspensions have been extended. And can reasonably expect to be suspended again and again indefinitetly
.link?

Your dreams of the EU owning NI are in fact, just dreams.

Dreams which have unravelled before your eyes. To no one much's surprise except perhaps your own.
The only person dreaming northern ireland isnt still part of the EU is you baffy boy. Otherwise we wouldnt be having this conversation on the protocol , and johnson wouldnt be under immense pressure to get rid of the embarressment of the eu owning part of the uk.

Baff

The key and most important reason for the protocol to be addressed is to make clear and unequivocally to people like yourself that NI is part of the UK.

The more people such as yourself claim the otherwise, the more dangerous this situation becomes.
We need you to accept the democratic outcome of the referendum, and we need you to stop agitating Ireland.
The logical outcome of appeasing you unfortunately is a broken state. Something akin to Ukraine.

Lots of people actively want that, I am not one of them.

Baff

Correct. Concessions are indeed concessions.
How minor they are is a matter of personal judgement.

I put it to you that most of the checks the EU were calling for have been suspended.
The vast bulk of them. And that those suspensions have been extended. And can reasonably expect to be suspended again and again indefinitetly.

In the case of medicines during the pandemic, far from being small concessions they were life saving ones on a pretty wide scale.

Your dreams of the EU owning NI are in fact, just dreams.
Dreams which have unravelled before your eyes. To no one much's surprise except perhaps your own.

Thomas

:D

Bank of London creates 232-person Belfast base under Mandelson watch to take advantage of EU access

Former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Peter Mandelson has returned to the province as non-executive director of a new clearing bank which said it is taking advantage of the access to Europe the region retains under the Northern Ireland Protocol.

The Bank of London, which claims to be the "world's first purpose-built global clearing, agency and transaction bank", has opened a centre of excellence focused on operations and other technology functions and is creating around 232 jobs in Belfast.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/professional-services/banking-finance/bank-london-creates-100-person-24255374

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 01:02:53 PM

NI is in the UK single market. Not the EU single market.
You seem to have conflated an agreement to keep aligned with many EU single market rules, within reason, with membership of it.
This is remoaner nonsense. Sorry. Wishful thinking on their part.
Eh? whats all the moaning about then when one part of the uk "single market" wants to trade with the northern irish part and is complaining about barriers?

I tell you baffy , burying your head in the sand pretending there is no problem is delusional mate.

The eu owns northern ireland , and it makes the uk look extremely weak being unable to take part of its own state out of a bloc it voted to leave 6 years on.

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 01:02:53 PM
The concessions were stuff like the EU repeatedly agreeing to the postponement/suspension of checks on assorted stuff going from GB to NI.
Medicines and lots more.

So far, every time the Boris administration has threatened to enact the protocol, the EU has conceded to their terms.
(While squealing profusely of course).
so minor temporary postponements are now being spun as concessions to be cheered? :D A far cry from the sunny uplands we were promised baffy.
So far, every time the Boris administration has threatened to enact the protocol, the EU has conceded to their terms.
i know you are trying desperately hard baffy , but i dont think your own fellow brexiters are buying johnsons capitulation to the eu over the protocal , and the fact northern ireland is still currently annexed by the EU as a great success story of brexit.

Hence why johnson is making  loads of noises to his backbench ERG members on overturning the said capitulation to the  EU Regarding northern ireland. Its a festering boil that no amount of spin is going to take away .

Baff

The concessions were stuff like the EU repeatedly agreeing to the postponement/suspension of checks on assorted stuff going from GB to NI.
Medicines and lots more.

NI is in the UK single market. Not the EU single market.
You seem to have conflated an agreement to keep aligned with many EU single market rules, within reason, with membership of it.
This is remoaner nonsense. Sorry. Wishful thinking on their part.

NI citizens may apply for S. Irish passports. 

Thomas

David McWilliams: Truth is the union with Britain has been an economic calamity for Northern Ireland
Protocol at least gives the North a chance to reinvent its economic vision, away from handouts towards something like a normal 21st century economy

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK economy, apart from London, to have a higher level of income today than before the pandemic. Interestingly, the two parts of the UK that voted decisively against Brexit are doing well in the first two years of that project's existence. Tellingly, the areas that voted for Brexit, hoping for some economic resurgence, have seen their incomes slump. London has grown because it is the epicentre of the UK's pre-eminent Fire. (finance, insurance and real estate) economy.

The main reason Northern Ireland is doing well is that it is on a different island, powered by a far more energetic economy: the Irish economy. We are dragging the North up relative to the low-growth, low-productivity, low-income UK. In the period between January and April 2022, exports to Northern Ireland from the Republic went up by 40 per cent compared with the same period in 2021, according to the Central Statistics Office's latest figures.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/06/18/david-mcwilliams-truth-is-the-union-with-britain-has-been-an-economic-calamity-for-northern-ireland/

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 12:21:12 PM
The Johnson administration has been successfully negotiating with the EU over the protocol since the very outset.

Eh? The "johnson Administration " negotiating on something that was seen as a betrayal of the principles of brexit is now being spun as a success ?

QuoteWith more and more concessions being agreed by the EU as time has gone by.
which concesstions is that then baffy? Im told by english brexiters on forums like this the only concession that matters is the removal of the NIP and the reversal of the EU annexing part of the uk.

Spinning whatever minor concessions you can find isnt going to work with the brexiting public in the uk , or the 300 000 loyalists in northern ireland baffy.

QuoteThe EU quite literally has zero authority in NI.
European courts rule the roost , uk citizens in northern ireland carry eu passports , and northern ireland is still in the sigle market. I would say thats a bit more than zero authority baffy.

QuoteAnd they cannot be successfully and completely appeased without screwing over the majority
nationalists have just won the first minister post in northern ireland for the first time in its history , and the majority support remain in the eu and the protocal. I think you mean the minority are screwing the majority dont you?

QuoteI don't for one minute believe that compliance with the EU single market is a war issue in Ireland.
you can believe what you like , i fully disagree.

We have been here before havent we baffy , taking an anti democratic stance over northern ireland , allowing unionist to set up and maintain an apartheid state , resulted in 30 years of conflict.

Generally when people have zero faith in the ballot box , violence is usually the result.

Baff

The Johnson administration has been successfully negotiating with the EU over the protocol since the very outset.
With more and more concessions being agreed by the EU as time has gone by.

This is not really surprising of course, as long as he has the will to change the current situation, all the power to do so lies within his hands.
The EU quite literally has zero authority in NI. Anything they want requires our agreement to enact there.
And nothing we want requires theirs.

Outside of that I agree with your point about getting both sides to be happy.
This is not possible.
Remoaners will remoan. Nationalists will seek exit from the UK. And they cannot be successfully and completely appeased without screwing over the majority.

There probably are however compromises which will keep them onside enough to prevent their attempts at violent overthrow.
I don't for one minute believe that compliance with the EU single market is a war issue in Ireland.
It might be a useful issue of opportunity to promote their goals, but I don't think anyone cares strongly enough to go to war over this issue.

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on June 18, 2022, 11:33:40 AM

The NI protocol is in my opinion unfinished business.
The UK withdrawal from the EU left the UK government with an excellent negotiating hand that it played epicly badly.
I do not wish to see things left in such a bad state of affairs. But they are by no means so bad that they can't be corrected amicably.
The Johnson administration are a big improvement in this department. I fully expect them not to provide a result that I will be 100% behind but I doubt they will have me hopping with rage either.
The northern ireland situation is an unwinnable argument for either side. Whatever way you turn , one of the two main groups is going to complain. I said from day one , and of course it was ignored, one way of solving the unslovable question was to give the northern irish a border poll on staying in brexit uk , or leaving and rejoining the republic and EU.

Of course , the westmisnter parliament was too gutless to take that route , especially after the fright of getting the wrong vote from england in 2016. So here we are.

Reading up on whats happening , it looks clear johnson isnt going to do a thing , and its sitting once again with the uk government refusing to give the bill a second reading until the DUP go into powersharing at stormont , with the DUP saying no as johnson has already betrayed them. The eu are also saying behind the scenes they know this is merely a bit of noise from johnson to save his own skin , and potentially they think the uk might have another prime minisnter in the near term.

It all looks like can kicking bluster . A few headlines for the gullible to believe the latest lie from a compulsive liars mouth . We will see. Dont hold your breath though.