Britain's decision to tear up Northern Ireland Protocol 'astonishing people around the world'

Started by SKY News, June 16, 2022, 07:06:34 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

For my money Farage always nailed this one.

Economic arguments are inherently unprovable. It's not an empiric science.
Either argument can be made with endless justification. And will be.

And at no time in the present or indeed future will either side be unquestionably proven right or wrong.

The same debates over the corn laws and the great recession exist today as did at the time.
The exact same debates. And even with the benefit of hindsight no clear winner has emerged. Nor ever will.

So Farage claimed he could endlessly counter every economic argument made against Brexit, and indeed he certainly could.
As could and can I and many others.
But he also claimed it was essentially a meaningless debate. Pointless to engage in. And preffered to focus on the meat of the issue instead.

He was right to do so.

The NI protocol is in my opinion unfinished business.
The UK withdrawal from the EU left the UK government with an excellent negotiating hand that it played epicly badly.
I do not wish to see things left in such a bad state of affairs. But they are by no means so bad that they can't be corrected amicably.
The Johnson administration are a big improvement in this department. I fully expect them not to provide a result that I will be 100% behind but I doubt they will have me hopping with rage either.

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 17, 2022, 08:58:45 AM
Project fear ! 
  Little to do with Brexit , fuel and energy costs being the main driver of UK inflation
After a good period of growth we were always going to slow down while those who have been slow coming out of the pandemic will catch up .
you have had a number of years being able to hide things behind for example covid , and using things like the war in ukraine. You cant hide the calamity of brexit forever.

I suppose thate one of the reasons your government want the northern irish out of the NIP , as its the only area outside london that is doing economically well .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on June 17, 2022, 06:36:57 PM
No ifs. No buts. The promises were the price of food would go down. Our food bills will be lower. Our energy
/fuel costs will be lower. Our tax bills will be lower.

All these promises and others are still accessible — pity Nadine Dorries hasn't yet managed to suppress what's out there...
Well

The statements I have found since reading your post all date from at latest Jan/Feb 2020 before the WHO screwed the world economy by declaring the Chinese Pox a pandemic.

You are right various economists, politicians and senior managers in retail food chain stores DID all make various predictions that prices in the shops would fall, that leaving the outrageous common agricultural policy which saw EU members trapped in a policy that screwed British and Swabian HausFrau's with equal vigour should cause prices to tank and so on and of course little if that happenned.

I do therefore wonder what the excuses are......

I will be back. But be assured I need neither your clothes, your boots or your motorcycle. I've seen what happens to Wallace and Gromit ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

No ifs. No buts. The promises were the price of food would go down. Our food bills will be lower. Our energy 
/fuel costs will be lower. Our tax bills will be lower.

All these promises and others are still accessible — pity Nadine Dorries hasn't yet managed to suppress what's out there...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on June 17, 2022, 08:03:21 AM
NS: "Thanks to Brexit, the cost of living crisis is worse here than in any other G7 country - inflation in the UK is double that of France. UK growth is now projected by the OECD to be the second lowest in the G20 next year - only sanctioned Russia will be worse."

:D

Project fear !  
  Little to do with Brexit , fuel and energy costs being the main driver of UK inflation 
After a good period of growth we were always going to slow down while those who have been slow coming out of the pandemic will catch up .

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on June 16, 2022, 08:10:18 PM
That is probably where Brexiters differ from Scots Tommy.

You think that the Nats and Unionists will vote with their wallets.

Most of the Brexiters I know believed that when we left the EU the UK economy would crash and the country would end in Queer Street. But we still voted with our hearts.
NS: "Thanks to Brexit, the cost of living crisis is worse here than in any other G7 country - inflation in the UK is double that of France. UK growth is now projected by the OECD to be the second lowest in the G20 next year - only sanctioned Russia will be worse."

:D

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on June 16, 2022, 07:25:02 PM
what do you mean "our"? We arent your "mates " either .

John of gwent though does tend to froth at the mouth and get a wee bit carried away.

I still maintain im not sure how much this will travel down the line medium term , and i suspect this is merely to buy bojo breathing space as we all know.

Nice to see northern ireland doing so well regarding trade  and the help of the NIP. More trade with the EU , lesswith the ruk , and its the second best performing area outside london.

Unionists in scotland are in meltdown when you point this out to them......:D

That is probably where Brexiters differ from Scots Tommy.

You think that the Nats and Unionists will vote with their wallets.

Most of the Brexiters I know believed that when we left the EU the UK economy would crash and the country would end in Queer Street. But we still voted with our hearts.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on June 16, 2022, 05:21:59 PM
They weren't our mates before Tommy.

So f**k them, although politely because there is no point in making needless enemies.
what do you mean "our"? We arent your "mates " either .

John of gwent though does tend to froth at the mouth and get a wee bit carried away.

I still maintain im not sure how much this will travel down the line medium term , and i suspect this is merely to buy bojo breathing space as we all know.

Nice to see northern ireland doing so well regarding trade  and the help of the NIP. More trade with the EU , lesswith the ruk , and its the second best performing area outside london.

Unionists in scotland are in meltdown when you point this out to them......:D

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on June 16, 2022, 03:49:58 PM
The united state of america . The nations of the european union. China , russia and many others regarded as your enemy. Is that ok for starts?

Aye i think the nations of the world are astonished that little england still wants to play at the old perifious albion game here and now in the 21 st century.

Like i said its johnson on life support trying to survive  by appeasing his hardcore brexiters , wether it actually goes anywhere only time will tell.

They weren't our mates before Tommy.

So F@@@ them, although politely because there is no point in making needless enemies.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 16, 2022, 08:36:40 AM
... Says the IRISH Minister for EUROPE

Meanwhile in the real world, who gives a f**k about the upstarts ?
The united state of america . The nations of the european union. China , russia and many others regarded as your enemy. Is that ok for starts?

Aye i think the nations of the world are astonished that little england still wants to play at the old perifious albion game here and now in the 21 st century.

Like i said its johnson on life support trying to survive  by appeasing his hardcore brexiters , wether it actually goes anywhere only time will tell.

johnofgwent

Quote from: SKY News  on June 16, 2022, 07:06:34 AM
Britain's decision to tear up Northern Ireland Protocol 'astonishing people around the world'

Britain's decision to tear up the Northern Ireland Protocol is "astonishing many people around the world", Ireland's Europe affairs minister has told Sky News.

Source: Britain's decision to tear up Northern Ireland Protocol 'astonishing people around the world'

... Says the IRISH Minister for EUROPE 

Meanwhile in the real world, who gives a F@@@ about the upstarts ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

SKY News

Britain's decision to tear up the Northern Ireland Protocol is "astonishing many people around the world", Ireland's Europe affairs minister has told Sky News.

Source: Britain's decision to tear up Northern Ireland Protocol 'astonishing people around the world'