Main Menu

Firefox History

Started by Borchester, June 16, 2022, 03:26:17 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: B-4 on June 19, 2022, 02:34:50 PM
I don't know, Mint actually has a simpler layout than Windows and shouldn't take long for somebody to migrate over to it.  Windows is getting worse and plumetted hard under its service instead of functioning as a paid product.  It's now an OS where the user is treated like a lemon who cannot be trusted to operate their own computer.  The way I see it, if you're not playing PC games or creating content of MS APIs then you should be using something else.  Windows 11 hardware requirements is also nonsense.  My PC is pretty modern and high-end, yet MS tells me Win11 is a no-no, because I disabled TPM.  To me, it looks like they're trying to force hardware DRM in the long run.
I run specific Software packages from Siemens that are designed for Windows so that's what I use, other than IOS on my iPad and phone.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

B-4

Quote from: Nick on June 18, 2022, 07:52:38 PM
Linux seems to be a strange choice of Operating System for a non tech person, no offence meant. Can I assume someone suggested this and duly installed it? If so I'd ask them to whack windows 10/11 on it and start again.
Or am I barking up the wrong frog? 😉
I don't know, Mint actually has a simpler layout than Windows and shouldn't take long for somebody to migrate over to it.  Windows is getting worse and plumetted hard under its service instead of functioning as a paid product.  It's now an OS where the user is treated like a lemon who cannot be trusted to operate their own computer.  The way I see it, if you're not playing PC games or creating content of MS APIs then you should be using something else.  Windows 11 hardware requirements is also nonsense.  My PC is pretty modern and high-end, yet MS tells me Win11 is a no-no, because I disabled TPM.  To me, it looks like they're trying to force hardware DRM in the long run.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on June 19, 2022, 01:30:43 PM
Well there you are John.

When it comes to tablets I take 2 Metformin and 1 Amlodipine, Ramipril and Guclazide every morning and 1 Metformin and 1 Guclazide in the afternoon. There is also a bucket load of other drugs the quack prescribed 6 months ago and which I have never bothered with. As you say, the best idea is probably a drop of Mother's Ruin, but needless to say, none is being offered.

That said, it is Father's Day so the family can bloody well rally round and crack this computer problem for me.
;D  Happy Father's Day!

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 19, 2022, 12:03:44 PM
Well, I can only add the fact that I've just followed Nick's instructions using Firefox on a windows 10 tablet pc, and a linux (Fedora 36) desktop[, and the selected items were selectively removed on both in the same manner.

Right, I have 1,350 emails to delete from my work pc fr tomorrow so I'm going to get a stiff gin to mark father's day and start deleting

Well there you are John.

When it comes to tablets I take 2 Metformin and 1 Amlodipine, Ramipril and Guclazide every morning and 1 Metformin and 1 Guclazide in the afternoon. There is also a bucket load of other drugs the quack prescribed 6 months ago and which I have never bothered with. As you say, the best idea is probably a drop of Mother's Ruin, but needless to say, none is being offered.

That said, it is Father's Day so the family can bloody well rally round and crack this computer problem for me.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on June 19, 2022, 11:30:35 AM
No offence taken Nick. Ubuntu, Windows or Klingon, they are all the same to me.I am pig ignorant of the entire business.

My son suggested Linux because it is not merely cash free, but with all of Nerddom supporting it, it is nigh on bug free as well. And apart from coming here and downing loading a few books and movies, I don't do much with my computer, so I don't want anything particularly clever and am thus mostly content with things the way they are. I am not bothered by security because, well, I ain't. But I know absolutely nothing about these high speed adding machines and would like to before I turn up my toes.
Well, I can only add the fact that I've just followed Nick's instructions using Firefox on a windows 10 tablet pc, and a linux (Fedora 36) desktop[, and the selected items were selectively removed on both in the same manner.

Right, I have 1,350 emails to delete from my work pc fr tomorrow so I'm going to get a stiff gin to mark father's day and start deleting
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on June 18, 2022, 07:52:38 PM
Linux seems to be a strange choice of Operating System for a non tech person, no offence meant. Can I assume someone suggested this and duly installed it? If so I'd ask them to whack windows 10/11 on it and start again.

No offence taken Nick. Ubuntu, Windows or Klingon, they are all the same to me.I am pig ignorant of the entire business.

My son suggested Linux because it is not merely cash free, but with all of Nerddom supporting it, it is nigh on bug free as well. And apart from coming here and downing loading a few books and movies, I don't do much with my computer, so I don't want anything particularly clever and am thus mostly content with things the way they are. I am not bothered by security because, well, I ain't. But I know absolutely nothing about these high speed adding machines and would like to before I turn up my toes.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on June 18, 2022, 06:31:15 PM
So you need some unbuggered Ubuntu — the nearest round here seems to be some falafel...

Actually, I spoke to one of Stamford Hill's Chosen People on the matter, and he said that he sold computers but had no idea how they worked. I replied that I liked his style, but right now that was no use to me.
:)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on June 17, 2022, 03:35:04 PM
All good points, but I don't want to learn how to delete my history in a particular manner for security reason, I want to learn because I can't.

I think I will approach the youngest granddaughter. She is only 13 so will be the cheapest.

That won't work for me.

Melissa learned long ago to add the cost of the new shoes she'll need to go with the new dress etc. 

She's almost as much trouble to my wallet as one of the bridesmaids come September as her aunt is as the bride...

I've been reading through this thread but I've been on holiday and that meant keeping a promise to my boss not to turn an office PC on.

Well, today is the day I have to sober up in readiness for tomorrow, this might as well be my first job while I steel myself against a fortnight's worth of work email. Let's see what the difference between Windows 10 and Fedora is.

I think Nick's being a tad disingenuous. Back in 1991 it was indeed a task from hell to install Linux on a PC. Today it is far easier than a Windows upgrade, and certainly has far less reboots.... !!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on June 18, 2022, 05:31:13 PM

I have just spoken to a neighbour who is a computer programmer and he reckons that my version of Ubuntu is buggered.

I said that sounds bollocks to me because the one thing I know about computers, is that whenever there is a glinch in any Linux program, all of Nerddom licks it chops in delight and sets about fixing it. The neighbour said that is usually true, but it looks as though the nerds missed this one.

Anyway, once again, many thanks for your help and advice. To quote the Duke of Wellington, if I don't know what will work, at least I know what won't and that has to be worth something :)

patman post

So you need some unbuggered Ubuntu — the nearest round here seems to be some falafel...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

I have just spoken to a neighbour who is a computer programmer and he reckons that my version of Ubuntu is buggered.

I said that sounds bollocks to me because the one thing I know about computers, is that whenever there is a glinch in any Linux program, all of Nerddom licks it chops in delight and sets about fixing it. The neighbour said that is usually true, but it looks as though the nerds missed this one.

Anyway, once again, many thanks for your help and advice. To quote the Duke of Wellington, if I don't know what will work, at least I know what won't and that has to be worth something :)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

∆∆∆
That works on iMac if I click on the = up in the top right of the window...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

As Barry has said. 

Go to History
Manage history at the bottom
Select one entry and then hold down 
Ctrl to select individual entries. Or
Shift to select all entries between your first and second selections. 
Then hit delete to remove. 

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on June 17, 2022, 03:54:57 PM
On a PC, does it work if you hold down CTRL whilst selecting multiple ticks?
I don't have firefox so cannot try it.

It did not work, but thanks anyway Barry.

I have handed the problem over to my boy who is practically dribbling with delight. He hasn't actually said that it is quite a three pipe problem, but he isn't far off.

Anyway guys, thanks for all your help.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

On a PC, does it work if you hold down CTRL whilst selecting multiple ticks?
I don't have firefox so cannot try it.
† The end is nigh †