uk inflation set to rise further...

Started by Thomas, June 20, 2022, 03:41:40 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

But as the sixth anniversary of the UK's vote to leave the EU approaches, economists are starting to quantify the damage caused by the erection of trade barriers with its biggest market, separating the "Brexit effect" from the damage caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. They conclude that the damage is real and it is not over yet.

The UK is lagging behind the rest of the G7 in terms of trade recovery after the pandemic; business investment, seen by Johnson and Sunak as the panacea to a poor growth rate, trails other industrialised countries, in spite of lavish Treasury tax breaks to try to drive it up. Next year, according to the OECD think-tank, the UK will have the lowest growth in the G20, apart from sanctioned Russia.
The Office for Budget Responsibility, the official British forecaster, has seen no reason to change its prediction, first made in March 2020, that Brexit would ultimately reduce productivity and UK gross domestic product by 4 per cent compared with a world where the country remained inside the EU. It says that a little over half of that damage has yet to occur.
That level of decline, worth about £100bn a year in lost output, would result in lost revenues for the Treasury of roughly £40bn a year. That is £40bn that might have been available to the beleaguered Johnson for the radical tax cuts demanded by the Tory right — the equivalent of 6p off the 20p in the pound basic rate of income tax.

https://archive.ph/JT4UG

The bad news keeps coming for fortress brittannia. Wonder if simon calder has a point john?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on June 20, 2022, 04:11:44 PM
travel journalist simon calder blaming brexit for scottish travel chaos...

Flight chaos is down to Brexit with Scotland disproportionately affected - Simon Calder. The affordable air travel that enabled Scots to explore Europe and realise just how badlyScotland does as part of the UK, is coming to an end
In the middle of the Chinese pandemonium my boss scooped an employee of the month award, or maybe of the quarter. Either way, we do not mess about when it comes to rewards for performance. A serious weekend at some upmarket golf resort and spa plus enough wonga for two nights in Monte Carlo...

Sadly the return flight has been cancelled

If it were me, I said, the seat61.com website shows me how to book a fast train up to Paris with a Eurostar home and get it right and you're on the modern day replacement of "the blue train" of Hercules Poirot fame, minus, one hopes, the murder(s)

Sadly he cannot afford the extra time. So KLM ? Nice to Schiphol and onward from there to Bristol or Cardiff it will have to be.

I imagine this Simon Calder is going to blame BREXIT for shit at Nice ??
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

A number of weeks back , i filled up the car with £120 worth of diesel and drove off without paying.

Today , i was up in court and got fined £75.

Follow me on twitter for more inflation busting tips............ :D

Thomas

travel journalist simon calder blaming brexit for scottish travel chaos...

Flight chaos is down to Brexit with Scotland disproportionately affected - Simon Calder. The affordable air travel that enabled Scots to explore Europe and realise just how badlyScotland does as part of the UK, is coming to an end

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 20, 2022, 03:59:41 PM
But what has this got to do with the price of champagne in the subsidised bars in Hollywood, Cardiff and Westminster ?

Not a lot, which is why they won't give a flying one
They wont , but the voters will. Johnson knows fine well he is going to get ever increasing and sever grief . One thing pisses people off, taking money out their pockets.

80 % of it is allegedly down to brexit. ...and of course poor policy and can kicking over energy over decades.

Summer of discontent. Well done the tories  , both red and blue. :D

johnofgwent

But what has this got to do with the price of champagne in the subsidised bars in Hollywood, Cardiff and Westminster ?

Not a lot, which is why they won't give a flying one
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas