Who's Ryanair Gonna Call ? Amazingly, the RAF

Started by johnofgwent, June 20, 2022, 06:16:16 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 30, 2022, 04:20:30 AM
The BOE has already said that if Scotland got independence and opted to use the pound it would do it without their permission. That means Scotland would live and die by the rates set within the BOE. When you use a currency with permission you are consulted on important decisions. It's hard enough getting someone to accept a Scottish note south of the border now, not a chance under your scenario.

As for needing an Airforce, I've never seen more contradictory comments. You ask why they would need an airforce and then immediately state they would be in charge of their own airspace. How would they be in charge without an airforce?
Scotland would not need Bank of England permission to use sterling, or any other currency it might choose.

Five US territories and 11 foreign nations use the USD as their official currency. It's also used with local currencies in several popular tourist destinations and as the quasi-official currency of many other nations in addition to their local currency.

A country's airspace is sovereign, but for international aviation to be possible, ICAO nations** grant all approved international air carriers the right to fly through their airspace without landing. To do so, they pay overflight fees. Would Scotland be an exception...?

**https://www.icao.int/MemberStates/Member%20States.Multilingual.pdf
Not all these ICAO member states have Air Forces to enforce their payment demands
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on June 30, 2022, 04:20:30 AM
The BOE has already said that if Scotland got independence and opted to use the pound it would do it without their permission. That means Scotland would live and die by the rates set within the BOE. When you use a currency with permission you are consulted on important decisions. It's hard enough getting someone to accept a Scottish note south of the border now, not a chance under your scenario.

As for needing an Airforce, I've never seen more contradictory comments. You ask why they would need an airforce and then immediately state they would be in charge of their own airspace. How would they be in charge without an airforce?
Nick has a drone,which goes on and on. :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 29, 2022, 07:47:44 PM
Can you explain why Scotland would need its own Amy, Navy, Air Force, or currency?

Scotland could lease the already-existing military facilities to Britain, if Westminster felt it needed such establishment in Scotland. It would also be in charge of its own airspace.

As for currency, Scotland could use any currency it wanted. It wouldn't need permission. It could remain with sterling, go with the US dollar, or the euro. The decision would be with Scotland to choose whichever it believed would serve it best...
The BOE has already said that if Scotland got independence and opted to use the pound it would do it without their permission. That means Scotland would live and die by the rates set within the BOE. When you use a currency with permission you are consulted on important decisions. It's hard enough getting someone to accept a Scottish note south of the border now, not a chance under your scenario. 

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 29, 2022, 07:05:42 PM
As could be said of Scotland if they gain independence, no military or currency, practically a third world country.
Can you explain why Scotland would need its own Amy, Navy, Air Force, or currency?

Scotland could lease the already-existing military facilities to Britain, if Westminster felt it needed such establishment in Scotland. It would also be in charge of its own airspace.

As for currency, Scotland could use any currency it wanted. It wouldn't need permission. It could remain with sterling, go with the US dollar, or the euro. The decision would be with Scotland to choose whichever it believed would serve it best...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on June 29, 2022, 07:05:42 PM
As could be said of Scotland if they gain independence, no military or currency, practically a third world country.
As a frequent flier you probably know all about the air corridors between the North of this country and the American continent and over the pole.

Scotland is going to get RAF Interceptors marking intrusions into those corridors whether Wee Miss Krankie likes it or not. You would have thought Lockerbie would have reminded her why it's a good idea, but if she doesn't like the concept, well, other than line up a few bagpipe players and hope they'll cause earache, what exactly would she have available to protest our actions with ? Mutant kamikaze Haggis ??
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on June 28, 2022, 02:09:49 PM
It's funny Jog I had this very conversation with Gerry some time ago when he was crowing about Varadkars boast the UK would be denied eu airspace.

He basically said I was talking crap and Ireland had no need of the RAF or had anything to fear from Russia or anyone else.
And would presumably bleat that same BS after O'Leary the ripoff has his first mid air collision ..
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 20, 2022, 06:16:16 PM
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/why-do-british-fighter-jets-protect-irish-airspace/

The Irish Rebublic has no capable air force.

Interesting !!
As could be said of Scotland if they gain independence, no military or currency, practically a third world country. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 20, 2022, 06:16:16 PM
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/why-do-british-fighter-jets-protect-irish-airspace/

The Irish Rebublic has no capable air force.

Interesting !!
It's funny Jog I had this very conversation with Gerry some time ago when he was crowing about Varadkars boast the UK would be denied eu airspace.

He basically said I was talking crap and Ireland had no need of the RAF or had anything to fear from Russia or anyone else.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent