Privatisation

Started by cromwell, June 24, 2022, 08:20:53 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2022, 10:17:09 PM
I'm no tech wizard but it's the way it's going
Of course it is but even so we can't simply ignore a chunk of society.

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2022, 10:22:09 PM
Oh blimey B0ycey I didn't say you had to get anything,how do you know it buffers? I was pointing out there are alternatives with no cable and no engineers.
You said who still gets a landline. I pointed out people who want the Internet. And no, I don't know if it buffers but I can take an educated guess. Fibre optics is simply faster than signals in the air hence the premium price for optics.

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on June 24, 2022, 10:18:33 PM
Well thats more than my fibre line in any case. But even so, why get rid of the line when I am already connected? I get Netflix now and ot sounds like a dongle is all but name. What's the bet it suffers from buffering?
Oh blimey B0ycey I didn't say you had to get anything,how do you know it buffers? I was pointing out there are alternatives with no cable and no engineers.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

I'm a bit behind the times and reluctant temperamantally to engage with new tech.

I own a mobile phone but it is not an internet enabled smartphone except when in physical proximity to my modem. I cannot get my fingers around typing text on it cos the screen keyboard seems too small for my fingers.

Ever since I finally took the plunge and went online at the end of 2009, I have relied upon a laptop for internet access. I am used to that, enjoy the size of the screen and am au fait with the keyboard. I also still have a landline phone, though am contemplating giving that up to save money.  
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2022, 10:14:28 PM
No it's not a dongle it's a mobile router £35 a month and you can watch netflix,it's half price first six months.
Well thats more than my fibre line in any case. But even so, why get rid of the line when I am already connected? I get Netflix now and it sounds like a dongle in all but name. What's the bet it suffers from buffering?

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on June 24, 2022, 10:12:17 PM
You guys are forgetting a whole set of society who have not kept up with the tech. Fair enough they are old but they haven't stopped living and very often they simply can't get their heads around mobile phones. Their landlines are often their only way of calling a doctor/ambulance/relatives/carers. The push recently for landlines to be discontinued by BT aroused a lot of concerns for these people and was cancelled.

My next door neighbours on both sides would be a case in point. All in their 80's but otherwise mentally ok but not a computer or mobile phone between them. There was a debate on the radio just the other day where people could no longer attend activities in town because parking had gone digital. No longer having a machine taking coins stopped a whole load of elderly people from going anymore. There has to be just a little longer before landlines can be described as generally defunct. I have just remembered that Esther R antzen who was 80 a couple of days ago was championing their cause and commented that there is no Minister for the elderly so as a result they get forgotten.

ps when I try and type Rantzen (R antzen) this is what happens.
I'm no tech wizard but it's the way it's going

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on June 24, 2022, 10:10:38 PM
So a dongle? It sound shit whatever it is. And if you have a sim, most likely expensive. I'll stick with the landline. Works well with Netflix and that is basically all the Internet is to me as things like this, I just use my phone.
No it's not a dongle it's a mobile router £35 a month and you can watch netflix,it's half price first six months.

T00ts

You guys are forgetting a whole set of society who have not kept up with the tech. Fair enough they are old but they haven't stopped living and very often they simply can't get their heads around mobile phones. Their landlines are often their only way of calling a doctor/ambulance/relatives/carers. The push recently for landlines to be discontinued by BT aroused a lot of concerns for these people and was cancelled. 

My next door neighbours on both sides would be a case in point. All in their 80's but otherwise mentally ok but not a computer or mobile phone between them. There was a debate on the radio just the other day where people could no longer attend activities in town because parking had gone digital. No longer having a machine taking coins stopped a whole load of elderly people from going anymore. There has to be just a little longer before landlines can be described as generally defunct. I have just remembered that Esther R antzen who was 80 a couple of days ago was championing their cause and commented that there is no Minister for the elderly so as a result they get forgotten.

ps when I try and type Rantzen (R antzen) this is what happens. 

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2022, 10:05:10 PM
What are you talking about? you don't tether your phone,your mobile has nothing to do with it you get a mobile router with sim card no cable no wires.

So a dongle? It sound shit whatever it is. And if you have a sim, most likely expensive. I'll stick with the landline. Works well with Netflix and that is basically all the Internet is to me as things like this, I just use my phone. 

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on June 24, 2022, 09:49:49 PM
But isn't that just you. Most people do want their Internet via a landline. They don't want to tether their phone. Which explains the wait for a line I guess. There are more people who want the Internet than there are people who can connect them. I remember when I moved it took over a month before the bastards came out. Any yet I still use my phone when coming on here. Ironic.
What are you talking about? you don't tether your phone,your mobile has nothing to do with it you get a mobile router with sim card no cable no wires.

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2022, 09:26:26 PM
Missing the point,most don't want or need a landline,internet is going to fibre.
But domestic VoIP depends on a power supply — the old copper land line works on power supplied by the exchange.

Listening to phone-in programmes on radio illustrates how unreliable mobile phones are...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2022, 09:44:11 PM
No but had thought of it,on fibre with no landline since it hadn't been used in two years.
But isn't that just you. Most people do want their Internet via a landline. They don't want to tether their phone. Which explains the wait for a line I guess. There are more people who want the Internet than there are people who can connect them. I remember when I moved it took over a month before the bastards came out. Any yet I still use my phone when coming on here. Ironic.

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on June 24, 2022, 09:41:19 PM
Well as I said, it depends if you want the Internet or not. Sounds like your happy with just your mobile provider.
No but had thought of it,on fibre with no landline since it hadn't been used in two years.

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on June 24, 2022, 09:38:59 PM
Well actually you don't there's 5g and 4g mobile broadband and satellite (though that's in its infancy)
Well as I said, it depends if you want the Internet or not. Sounds like you're happy with just your mobile provider.

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on June 24, 2022, 09:30:02 PM
Whatever the optics, the point is you need a line to connect to the Internet. There is a reason BT is an Internet provider and another reason you are actually provided a phone number when your broadband is set up.
Well actually you don't there's 5g and 4g mobile broadband and satellite (though that's in its infancy)