How will we tip without cash?

Started by Borchester, January 17, 2020, 08:32:11 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13557 time=1579368348 user_id=48
Yes I suppose it is generational,in the queue at aldi woman in front "oh look at me paying with my watch" and yes people do have easy access to their account via the phone and looking at the app warnings nearly every week so do crooks.

i understand what you are saying about crooks cromwell , but believe me the chances of getting hacked are small. I have had my card cloned at garages on a number of occassions , and the reason the thieves didnt get much was that very phone apps we are talkng about.

I was able to flag up dodgy activity on my phone banking app , because it is easy to use and i have it at hand 24/7 on my phone , and immediately get in contact with my bank.

QuoteNo way do I do banking on a phone,very reluctant on my pc and I have vpn and bitdefender with safe pay on it.

Its up to you cromwell , once you get used to it and feel comfortable then its very easy to use phone apps.Banks are encouraging it .

As i said , its merely generational , kids think nothing of it. Its the future cromwell.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas post_id=13536 time=1579354440 user_id=58
Dont really agree cromwell. Most folk have easy access to their bank account details on their phone and know instantly what they have in their account.

My bank will text me instantly if the amount in my account falls below a certain level.

I too think cash will be around for a while yet , but cashless is the way things are going as its so much easier all round than fannying about with notes and coins.

Again its a generation thing as i have said before.

Yes I suppose it is generational,in the queue at aldi woman in front "oh look at me paying with my watch" and yes people do have easy access to their account via the phone and looking at the app warnings nearly every week so do crooks.

No way do I do banking on a phone,very reluctant on my pc and I have vpn and bitdefender with safe pay on it.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13552 time=1579359303 user_id=53
Tell me about it , people are getting all unnecessary with their cabbage . I blame the EU , they couldn't force their euro on us so have tried getting us to go all digital and automated , anything to stop us handling bangers and mash .

Anyway you try and get a take away around here with pound notes , I don't think there is one that doesn't have  a 'cash only'  policy. Shame they don't have a good food policy as well but that's another story .

I dont think i have met a builder yet who also doesnt have a cash only policy mate. :lol:

Especially when VAT is involved , makes a hell of a difference to the price. :D

I think i told you this once ages ago , but i used to do a lot of work for the ex local  VAT inspector  , and everytime he paid me he insisted on paying cash.

Still laugh about it today.

The ones who used to be the enforcers and work within the system are the biggest rebels against it , just ask auld borkie. :lol:

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas post_id=13550 time=1579357759 user_id=58
i know mate but you are an old school muck spreader . The cash economy still exists mate , its just shrunk a wee bit. :lol:

Tell me about it , people are getting all unnecessary with their cabbage . I blame the EU , they couldn't force their euro on us so have tried getting us to go all digital and automated , anything to stop us handling bangers and mash .

Anyway you try and get a take away around here with pound notes , I don't think there is one that doesn't have  a 'cash only'  policy. Shame they don't have a good food policy as well but that's another story .

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13549 time=1579357595 user_id=53
 Everything else is cash  including tips .

The future will no doubt see a cashless checkable system which will kinder take the fun out of doing the tax return

i know mate but you are an old school muck spreader . The cash economy still exists mate , its just shrunk a wee bit. :lol:

Streetwalker

I only use my card for purchases I can claim tax back on . Everything else is cash  including tips .

The future will no doubt see a cashless checkable system which will kinder take the fun out of doing the tax return

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13511 time=1579339451 user_id=48
Isn't it easier to spend what you haven't got though,when you carry cash you know where you are up to.

Dont really agree cromwell. Most folk have easy access to their bank account details on their phone and know instantly what they have in their account.

My bank will text me instantly if the amount in my account falls below a certain level.

I too think cash will be around for a while yet , but cashless is the way things are going as its so much easier all round than fannying about with notes and coins.

Again its a generation thing as i have said before.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester post_id=13492 time=1579293131 user_id=62
I don't care if the bill says Service Included, I am not sure that the money will reach the staff so I use the plastic for the reckoning and hand the waiter/waitress the tip in cash. But these days hardly anyone uses cash.

So come the cashless society, how are we going to tip without the cash to do so?

There's one pub/eatery in N16 that's cashless. It benefits from fewer visits to the bank, easier cash handling, reduced banking fees, etc. Although it's well used, the No Cash principle seems to keep trouble-makers away.

But I'm with you — I usually pay restaurant bills by card and tip in cash, and I think cash will be around for some time yet...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Scott777

I myself only use cards, but the objective of cashless society is more state control over money.  I want to be able to give money to people who the state or the banks might not like.  That should be my prerogative, because my money is mine.  And yet, when I tried to donate to Wikileaks, it was denied by Visa, because they didn't agree with it.  I should also be allowed to have my financial transactions private, but sooner or later they won't be.  It's a another step towards totalitarianism, which will come very gradually, if allowed.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

cromwell

Quote from: GregB post_id=13510 time=1579337251 user_id=72
Must admit I've already moved away from using cash. Whilst not a particularly conscious decision, it just came about really, I don't miss cash much at all. First debit cards, then contactless and now with Apple Pay there's no upper limit either except in one or two shops which appear to enforce their own limit.

It so much easier than cash.

Isn't it easier to spend what you haven't got though,when you carry cash you know where you are up to.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GregB

Must admit I've already moved away from using cash. Whilst not a particularly conscious decision, it just came about really, I don't miss cash much at all. First debit cards, then contactless and now with Apple Pay there's no upper limit either except in one or two shops which appear to enforce their own limit.

It so much easier than cash.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13493 time=1579293953 user_id=48
I hate the idea of a cashless society,

So do I, it will be yet another way your movements can be checked. Car parking ticket machines that need the registration of your car entered are bad enough.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Major Sinic

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=13501 time=1579301828 user_id=59
Most cafe's only accept cash.  And how will people give to the homeless?

Tipping in Europe is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. If cash does become a thing of the past then cafes and other cash oriented businesses will have to change or fail. There are a number of low cost wifi credit card devices on the market these days, and I'm sure that the more entrepreneurial street beggars will soon be accepting debit and credit cards! :D

Scott777

Quote from: Borchester post_id=13492 time=1579293131 user_id=62
I don't care if the bill says Service Included, I am not sure that the money will reach the staff so I use the plastic for the reckoning and hand the waiter/waitress the tip in cash. But these days hardly anyone uses cash.

So come the cashless society, how are we going to tip without the cash to do so?

Most cafe's only accept cash.  And how will people give to the homeless?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

OK, you live and learn, Borky, I had to Google that one!

What is a tronc master?

tronc master in British

a person who distributes pooled tips and service charges to waiters, waitresses, hotel workers etc. A tronc master is in charge of splitting up the money periodically and adding it to the wages of key kitchen and waiting staff.

:lol:
† The end is nigh †