Hyperduck Quack Quack reveals identity

Started by Barry, January 17, 2020, 09:39:41 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=14263 time=1580049634 user_id=103
 But what if a pro-rejoin government is elected in 2024?

Then it would be up to them to ask the EU if we can start the re-joining process .  Given how long it is taking us to leave though I would say they would have to get elected again in 2029 to complete the process

Do you really think the UK would go for the euro , and end to any trade deals we achieve around the World , ceding foreign policy to Brussels and a return to free movement of people that by then will probably include the Balkan states .

We will see what the end game is with Johnsons Brexit and wether full sovereignty is returned to the UK  but do you really think we will be so willing to give it all away after only a few short years ?

T00ts

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=14263 time=1580049634 user_id=103
Surely it's time for people to stop going on about '17.4' million as though only a few dozen people voted remain.  Almost as many people voted remain (16.1 million).  Anyway, last December the people voted in a pro Brexit government by a large majority, that's the moment I accepted that we have no choice but to leave the EU.  

The chances of a referendum within the next 5 years about rejoining the EU are pretty much close to zero unless Brexit turns out to be much worse than even the worst predictions and another Tory party civil war or power struggle breaks out.  But what if a pro-rejoin government is elected in 2024?

You are right - time for a truce - pass it on.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: T00ts post_id=14167 time=1579942837 user_id=54
They've signed it! We've signed it! We've all changed to Remainers and Joiners. The bells won't ring but I don't care. The real fight became the voice of the 17+million whom too many wanted silenced and forgotten. That's why I celebrate - and I will!

:Patriot:  :dncg:  :Patriot:  :dncg:  :Patriot:

Surely it's time for people to stop going on about '17.4' million as though only a few dozen people voted remain.  Almost as many people voted remain (16.1 million).  Anyway, last December the people voted in a pro Brexit government by a large majority, that's the moment I accepted that we have no choice but to leave the EU.  

The chances of a referendum within the next 5 years about rejoining the EU are pretty much close to zero unless Brexit turns out to be much worse than even the worst predictions and another Tory party civil war or power struggle breaks out.  But what if a pro-rejoin government is elected in 2024?

T00ts

They've signed it! We've signed it! We've all changed to Remainers and Joiners. The bells won't ring but I don't care. The real fight became the voice of the 17+million whom too many wanted silenced and forgotten. That's why I celebrate - and I will!

:Patriot:  :dncg:  :Patriot:  :dncg:  :Patriot:

Borchester

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=14157 time=1579902181 user_id=103
We are still in the EU, in case you lot had forgotten!  I've been  a remoaner all through this whole Brexit fiasco so I might as well carry on up until the last minute.  Clearly we are leaving the EU on 31st January, barring any unforeseen hitches, but that doesn't make Brexit a good thing.

After Brexit I guess I can't call myself a remainer or remoaner any more.  But that does't worry me as I can become a rejoiner instead.

That Oxford professor is on about exactly the same thing as I've been saying all along.  Sadly I'm not a professor or a lawyer, just an armchair pundit like the rest of you.

:Patriot:  :Patriot:  :Patriot:  :Patriot:  :Patriot:
Algerie Francais !

Hyperduck Quack Quack

We are still in the EU, in case you lot had forgotten!  I've been  a remoaner all through this whole Brexit fiasco so I might as well carry on up until the last minute.  Clearly we are leaving the EU on 31st January, barring any unforeseen hitches, but that doesn't make Brexit a good thing.

After Brexit I guess I can't call myself a remainer or remoaner any more.  But that does't worry me as I can become a rejoiner instead.

That Oxford professor is on about exactly the same thing as I've been saying all along.  Sadly I'm not a professor or a lawyer, just an armchair pundit like the rest of you.

Conchúr

Quote from: Barry post_id=13835 time=1579605653 user_id=51
Oh, well. Perhaps I should have put this in the jokes section, as it was intended light heartedly.

However, if flag waving offends, I'm not about to stop.

:Patriot:

Well I did think to myself yesterday that the discussion had developed without you having a chance to defend yourself — so I do take your point that it was meant in a light hearted way.  

But on the actual legal action itself, there is a serious matter at play and it does mean something to a lot of people.

Barry

Oh, well. Perhaps I should have put this in the jokes section, as it was intended light heartedly.

However, if flag waving offends, I'm not about to stop.

:Patriot:
† The end is nigh †

Conchúr

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13816 time=1579564239 user_id=48
Well  Conor i  don't see it as sneering at anyone,there is a long tradition in this country of laughing at various situations and if you look at the old comedy series which are still broadcast like Dads army and Farty Towels most of the humour is taking the piss out of ourselves.

Fair enough

cromwell

Well  Conor i  don't see it as sneering at anyone,there is a long tradition in this country of laughing at various situations and if you look at the old comedy series which are still broadcast like Dads army and Farty Towels most of the humour is taking the piss out of ourselves.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Conchúr

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13811 time=1579561232 user_id=48
Well I wasn't attributing that being said by you and would've have stated were it the case.

I don't think anyone here is saying they're doing anything wrong and I wouldn't deny them,what I do see from Barry though and the smileys is a bit of sarcasm perhaps or taking the mickey.

I never saw them as anything other than being attached to an entity we are leaving,enjoy them? not really travelled to europe and had to show my documents as I will after we leave.

I lived travelled and worked in Europe prior to us joining without a problem and never felt a difference after we did.

There is most definitely a difference, particularly for those exercising free movement rights on a long term basis and / or with high regularity. After all, if there wasn't going to be much difference, then what was the point in people opposing the free movement rights of Europeans coming to travel, work and reside in the UK?

I ask that because, ultimately, the immigration and travel rights of British people in the EU is likely to be reciprocal — i.e. British citizens are not going to be given any rights to travel / work / reside in the EU that the UK won't afford to EU citizens in kind. The harder the UK wants to be on allowing EU migrants / travellers in, the harder it will be for UK migrants / travellers going the other way.  

In short, the more the UK restricts, the more it restricts the rights of its own people to travel, work and / or reside in EU countries.  To me, it's a tragic regression and is unduly targeting a section of the UK's migrant population that has traditionally been highly productive and willing to integrate.   They were rights that many people enjoyed and were able to use to build careers, relationships, families, marriages and lifelong memories — free from a lot of the fears of the usual immigration technicalities that can make all those things harder, more stressful and more expensive.

But look, that's where we are and we have to accept it.  All I'm saying is not to be so quick to sneer at people who seek legal avenues to protect rights that mean something to them.  Losing rights is no small matter, even if particular rights happen to be less important or worth shedding from your personal perspective.

cromwell

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=13810 time=1579560455 user_id=83
To be honest, I haven't said those things and even in the cases of those who have, I don't think it invalidates the saying of two wrongs not making a right.

Well I wasn't attributing that being said by you and would've have stated were it the case.

QuoteI mean, if someone says they foresee the UK wanting to rejoin the EU for example, then to me it's fine so long as it's said with manners and reasonable rationale for saying it.  Saying that it "would come crawling back" isn't a nice way of putting it for sure.  But to just say "lie down Remoaners" with flag-waving smileys to a group of people who are doing absolutely nothing but trying to see if there is any legal way they can maintain the rights and benefits of their former EU citizenship — well — I just don't get the glee being taken here by Barry.

I don't think anyone here is saying they're doing anything wrong and I wouldn't deny them,what I do see from Barry though and the smileys is a bit of sarcasm perhaps or taking the mickey.

Quote You probably enjoyed your EU citizen's rights many times, and there may have been cases not have even realised you were enjoying them. I would be pretty sad if I was losing mine personally (luckily my Irish citizenship prevents that, though there is still come lack of clarity for Irish citizens who currently reside in Northern Ireland).  

Of course, you and other Leavers see losing those rights as an OK compromise and an unavoidable eventuality of making Brexit happen (which is an opinion you're entitled to hold) but, whether one thinks it is worth it or not, it is still ultimately a scenario of you having EU Citizens rights one day — and not having them the next.  Taking glee in seeing people lose rights (most particularly those to whom it really meant something) is not something I personally would bask in triumphalism over.

I never saw them as anything other than being attached to an entity we are leaving,enjoy them? not really travelled to europe and had to show my documents as I will after we leave.

I lived travelled and worked in Europe prior to us joining without a problem and never felt a difference after we did.

Conchúr

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13808 time=1579559111 user_id=48
I dunno Conor was it classy or triumphalist to tell us we'd come crawling back or rubbing our noses in it to say we were swapping a Rolls for a second hand saloon?

As I said to you on another thread the insults are still being exchanged,however as far as this thread the smileys in the OP say it all and is not as you describe.

To be honest, I haven't said those things and even in the cases of those who have, I don't think it invalidates the saying of two wrongs not making a right.

I mean, if someone says they foresee the UK wanting to rejoin the EU for example, then to me it's fine so long as it's said with manners and reasonable rationale for saying it.  Saying that it "would come crawling back" isn't a nice way of putting it for sure.  But to just say "lie down Remoaners" with flag-waving smileys to a group of people who are doing absolutely nothing but trying to see if there is any legal way they can maintain the rights and benefits of their former EU citizenship — well — I just don't get the glee being taken here by Barry.  You probably enjoyed your EU citizen's rights many times, and there may have been cases not have even realised you were enjoying them. I would be pretty sad if I was losing mine personally (luckily my Irish citizenship prevents that, though there is still come lack of clarity for Irish citizens who currently reside in Northern Ireland).  

Of course, you and other Leavers see losing those rights as an OK compromise and an unavoidable eventuality of making Brexit happen (which is an opinion you're entitled to hold) but, whether one thinks it is worth it or not, it is still ultimately a scenario of you having EU Citizens rights one day — and not having them the next.  Taking glee in seeing people lose rights (most particularly those to whom it really meant something) is not something I personally would bask in triumphalism over.

cromwell

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=13806 time=1579557713 user_id=83
I find the glee you're taking in this somewhat strange and needlessly triumphalist.

At the end of the day, whether you enjoyed or felt any benefit in your rights under EU citizenship, they were rights enjoyed by millions of people in the UK.  The people intending to bring this legal action have cited no intention to 'stop Brexit', but simply to try to retain rights they previously enjoyed as EU citizens.  

Now I don't know about you, but when people are being stripped of certain rights (again regardless of what value you yourself place in them) I believe that it is an exercise of the utmost importance that citizens are able to pursue whatever means legally and legitimately available to protect what is important to them.  There is a legal question to be asked, as the EU does not have a formal process for revoking EU citizenship (EU citizenship is an extension of citizenship of a member state and therefore the EU has previously not needed to consider the circumstances in which citizenship would be 'revoked').  While the applicants are unlikely to have much joy, I don't see what harm it does to you if they seek a legitimate legal avenue to protect rights which they clearly did not wish to lose.

So yeah, maybe tone down the flag-waving triumphalism of rubbing it in peoples' faces when they they lose something important to them.  It doesn't strike me as particularly classy.

I dunno Conor was it classy or triumphalist to tell us we'd come crawling back or rubbing our noses in it to say we were swapping a Rolls for a second hand saloon?

As I said to you on another thread the insults are still being exchanged,however as far as this thread the smileys in the OP say it all and is not as you describe.

Conchúr

Quote from: Barry post_id=13496 time=1579297181 user_id=51
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/uk-citizens-to-launch-legal-action-to-keep-eu-citizenship/17/01/">//https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/uk-citizens-to-launch-legal-action-to-keep-eu-citizenship/17/01/

Now then, lie down you remoaners, we're leaving!   :lol:  :lol:

:Patriot:  :Patriot:  :Patriot:

I find the glee you're taking in this somewhat strange and needlessly triumphalist.

At the end of the day, whether you enjoyed or felt any benefit in your rights under EU citizenship, they were rights enjoyed by millions of people in the UK.  The people intending to bring this legal action have cited no intention to 'stop Brexit', but simply to try to retain rights they previously enjoyed as EU citizens.  

Now I don't know about you, but when people are being stripped of certain rights (again regardless of what value you yourself place in them) I believe that it is an exercise of the utmost importance that citizens are able to pursue whatever means legally and legitimately available to protect what is important to them.  There is a legal question to be asked, as the EU does not have a formal process for revoking EU citizenship (EU citizenship is an extension of citizenship of a member state and therefore the EU has previously not needed to consider the circumstances in which citizenship would be 'revoked').  While the applicants are unlikely to have much joy, I don't see what harm it does to you if they seek a legitimate legal avenue to protect rights which they clearly did not wish to lose.

So yeah, maybe tone down the flag-waving triumphalism of rubbing it in peoples' faces when they they lose something important to them.  It doesn't strike me as particularly classy.