Has Boris Johnson met his pledges?

Started by BBC News , July 07, 2022, 07:06:12 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 07, 2022, 10:28:34 PM
But that was only a fluke and entirely down to the arrogance of the opposition who were weaponised by Nick clegg. Johnson has failed to address that toxic legislation so we are back where we were in 2018
Not really John. The main point being that we no longer have MEPs, we no longer have to be subject to Brussels Law, we have made a lot of our own trade agreements and we are not a part of the "Borg" EU. 
We are out. It is now up to the Government Executive, not the electorate, to make that work to OUR best advantage.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on July 07, 2022, 03:24:48 PM
For me, he will be remembered as the leader who broke the Brexit deadlock, which was absolutely toxic to politics for far too long.
But that was only a fluke and entirely down to the arrogance of the opposition who were weaponised by Nick clegg. Johnson has failed to address that toxic legislation so we are back where we were in 2018
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on July 07, 2022, 07:35:02 PM
Tried to make a fist of brexit,the glee barely concealed on the faces (or is that faeces) of so many news readers and commentators is apparent,they forget they don't drive public opinion,even though they try.
That's true, though much of the bought and paid for Right-Wing media tried to cover up Johnson's failings. But the electorate and their MPs forced his downfall.

If I was the dancing type, I'd be out on Stoke Newington Common whooping it up and calling for him to gone NOW...!
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on July 07, 2022, 03:42:26 PM
Brexit is still Toxic. Until the vast majority can see that it's done and working, it will be used to beat up whoever is in power.

The pity is that Johnson was the ultimate distraction — claiming achievements that weren't true or, if they were, weren't his: leading an administration whose incompetence oversaw the deaths of many vulnerable; doing nothing a half-way able administrator wouldn't have done anyway; and finally lying his way to his ultimate downfall.

History should regard him as a jovial mascot for things like the 2012 Olympics, who turned into trickster and a fraud once he was given real responsibility...
Tried to make a fist of brexit,the glee barely concealed on the faces (or is that faeces) of so many news readers and commentators is apparent,they forget they don't drive public opinion,even though they try.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

For me, he will be remembered as the leader who broke the Brexit deadlock, which was absolutely toxic to politics for far too long.
Brexit is still Toxic. Until the vast majority can see that it's done and working, it will be used to beat up whoever is in power.

The pity is that Johnson was the ultimate distraction — claiming achievements that weren't true or, if they were, weren't his: leading an administration whose incompetence oversaw the deaths of many vulnerable; doing nothing a half-way able administrator wouldn't have done anyway; and finally lying his way to his ultimate downfall.

History should regard him as a jovial mascot for things like the 2012 Olympics, who turned into trickster and a fraud once he was given real responsibility...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Agreed and it was no mean feat. My fear is that those elements will see their way clear again. I have already heard rumblings from various quarters that the doors to Europe will open again.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 03:04:29 PM
Dancing Dancing They say we must love the sinner not the sin! Someone needs to counter all the venom flowing about today!
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 07, 2022, 03:02:45 PM
True, the Devil does have some attractions, which is why he has such a big following. ;D
Dancing Dancing They say we must love the sinner not the sin! Someone needs to counter all the venom flowing about today!

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 02:54:12 PM
Aw come on Barry - he's not all bad.
True, the Devil does have some attractions, which is why he has such a big following. ;D
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 07, 2022, 02:49:04 PM
Well he certainly emulates the Devil, who is the father of all lies.
Aw come on Barry - he's not all bad.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 12:28:41 PM
Possibly an element of better the devil you know. With Jeremy Hunt @ 10/1 that might not bode well for Brexit.
Well he certainly emulates the Devil, who is the father of all lies.

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 07, 2022, 12:21:34 PM
The people who followed and supported him to the bitter end will not ever look good in retrospect. I'm sure Cabinet have been privately urging him to step aside for weeks and they were forced into drastic action to get rid.
Has he met his pledges? Partly, but everything he has done seems to have loose ends or a mess that needs cleaning up.
He's still got his supporters, unbelievably, really. 
Possibly an element of better the devil you know. With Jeremy Hunt @ 10/1 that might not bode well for Brexit.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 11:57:09 AM
Oh the poor man. What an end! Although he is the come back kid so I wouldn't write him off.
The people who followed and supported him to the bitter end will not ever look good in retrospect. I'm sure Cabinet have been privately urging him to step aside for weeks and they were forced into drastic action to get rid.
Has he met his pledges? Partly, but everything he has done seems to have loose ends or a mess that needs cleaning up.
He's still got his supporters, unbelievably, really.  
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on July 07, 2022, 11:53:47 AM
I can't say that Boris made any pledges, other than to get us out of the EU. He has made a half arsed attempt at that, with British laws being made in Britain and I reckon that we won't do much better than that.

Just spoken to someone who works for the BBC and apparently Auntie is spitting tacks. They don't want Boris to resign. They want him dragged behind a sorry horse through the City of London and there boiled alive in skinny lattes. :)
Oh the poor man. What an end! Although he is the come back kid so I wouldn't write him off. 

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 07, 2022, 08:26:10 AM
In short, NO.

Brexit is still a mess.

ILLEGAL Immigration is still a joke
Taxes are about to be hiked to ensure those too old to pay NI pay the new Health Levy in the jobs they have to keep working in to buy food and keep the lights on

And Heath Service provisions in England have rivalled Wales for the first time since 1999.

By any measure, his promises are in tatters.

For any other Prime Minister or President the stupendous impact of the Chinese Pox would be more than adequate to be used in defence of failure to deliver on a mandate declared before the pox hit, but what we have is a serial dissembler whose ONLY salvation from being thrown into the Thames from the terrace to save the country is a track record of STUNNING success in the face of adversity.

And it is clear and has been for some time that the only successes against the pox were achieved with substantial wastes of money and outright corruption with politicians and appointed civil servants making a killing feathering their own nests ...

I can't say that Boris made any pledges, other than to get us out of the EU. He has made a half arsed attempt at that, with British laws being made in Britain and I reckon that we won't do much better than that.

Just spoken to someone who works for the BBC and apparently Auntie is spitting tacks. They don't want Boris to resign. They want him dragged behind a sorry horse through the City of London and there boiled alive in skinny lattes. :)
Algerie Francais !