Boris resigns but...

Started by T00ts, July 07, 2022, 12:52:32 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 02:25:51 PM
There is no way of him being removed as PM only as leader of the Conservative party. They have just discussed this at length on Sky. It's true that it should be done asap, but the mistake with that would be choosing the wrong successor by doing it in a hurry.

All lies Boris isn't going anywhere Nicks truth meter said so. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 07, 2022, 02:20:27 PM
Johnson has to be removed from office asap, for the good of the country. He is a loose canon. He shouldn't be allowed to remain as PM with the attendant powers for any longer than driving Raab to No 10 and installing him as interim PM...
There is no way of him being removed as PM only as leader of the Conservative party. They have just discussed this at length on Sky. It's true that it should be done asap, but the mistake with that would be choosing the wrong successor by doing it in a hurry.

Good old

Quote from: Nick on July 07, 2022, 02:18:35 PM
Wrong: Uxbridge and Ruislip voted for him 😉

My apologies to Ruislip, but they would not have altered the point being made.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 12:52:32 PM
His resignation speech was typical Boris in many ways but his plan to continue in post until a new leader is arranged has opened yet another can or worms. Many don't want him in post at all and want an interim leader in the meantime.

Will they kick the man when he is already down? Time will tell but I just hope there will be a little more considered thought and a little less herd instinct and stampede panic.
Johnson has to be removed from office asap, for the good of the country. He is a loose canon. He shouldn't be allowed to remain as PM with the attendant powers for any longer than driving Raab to No 10 and installing him as interim PM...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Good old on July 07, 2022, 02:06:10 PM
This in so many respects has been the reason he finds himself in so much trouble. Regardless of partygate, he has shown himself to be ignorant of, or having no respect of the custom and practice that passes for our constitution.
He has several times shaken the railings, I won't say walls,  of that unwritten constitution, even until now refusing to do the honourable asking of that same custom and practise. In recent days he has talked of his mandate, when the mandate was his parties, not his alone ,  [highlight]only Uxbridge actually voted for him[/highlight], he is not a president, and as you say even the job he had is for the Queen to give.
Wrong: Uxbridge and Ruislip voted for him 😉 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Good old

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 07, 2022, 01:48:48 PM
I heard his blatherings and were grapes ever more sour !

He needs to remember the premiership is the gift of the sovereign and it is only custom and practice that sees the majority party leader given it....

This in so many respects has been the reason he finds himself in so much trouble. Regardless of partygate, he has shown himself to be ignorant of, or having no respect of the custom and practice that passes for our constitution.
He has several times shaken the railings, I won't say walls,  of that unwritten constitution, even until now refusing to do the honourable asking of that same custom and practise. In recent days he has talked of his mandate, when the mandate was his parties, not his alone ,  only Uxbridge actually voted for him, he is not a president, and as you say even the job he had is for the Queen to give. 

Nick

His resignation speech was typical Boris in many ways but his plan to continue in post until a new leader is arranged has opened yet another can or worms.[highlight] Many don't want him in post at all and want an interim leader in the meantime.[/highlight]

Will they kick the man when he is already down? Time will tell but I just hope there will be a little more considered thought and a little less herd instinct and stampede panic.
What can they do? They can't damage Boris anymore than he already is, a VoC will do nothing to him and just show the electorate more division. He has pulled the rug from under Beer Korma and his NC vote, something else Labour couldn't do right. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 07, 2022, 01:48:48 PM

Fact is though, if he is saying he is resigning as leader but will stay on as PM until another party leader is chosen, isn't that what always happens ?

Or is he trying to say the party will appoint a new interim leader now, who won't be pm, but will be leader until the election is sorted ??

He needs to remember the premiership is the gift of the sovereign and it is only custom and practice that sees the majority party leader given it....
There does seem to be some confusion not only with the pundits but also some MPs as to what the procedure can allow. If Boris is sick they can put in a substitute and there has been some suggestions that the men in white coats be called! He can stay til a new leader is elected. Starmer is threatening a HofC vote of no confidence which could dissolve parliament.

johnofgwent

Fact is though, if he is saying he is resigning as leader but will stay on as PM until another party leader is chosen, isn't that what always happens ?

Or is he trying to say the party will appoint a new interim leader now, who won't be pm, but will be leader until the election is sorted ??

He needs to remember the premiership is the gift of the sovereign and it is only custom and practice that sees the majority party leader given it.... 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

His resignation speech was typical Boris in many ways but his plan to continue in post until a new leader is arranged has opened yet another can or worms. Many don't want him in post at all and want an interim leader in the meantime.

Well this is Boris's can of worms, and as ever it's for others to open and ponder the unraveling of those worms.
What he describes as the herd instinct is just another of his deflections from the fact that he 100% deserves to be where he is right now.

T00ts