Main Menu

JM

Started by Nick, July 07, 2022, 03:07:15 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 07, 2022, 07:56:14 PM
Nor were voters asked how the UK should become involved in Ukraine — was that mind-blowing arrogance from a PM needing a war to get a Maggie moment to support his premiership?

Or do we elect representatives, rather than delegates, to do what they consider best for us...?
They are SUPPOSED to act "according to their best judgement and conscience in the best interests of their constituents..."

I suppose it is a personal judgement on the voters part as to whether any ever do

The problem is we have precious few ways of serving notice on them once they are sent.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on July 07, 2022, 08:15:54 PM
Johnson positioned himself as Europe's leader for supporting Ukraine, and was pictured strutting around Kyiv. Nato and localised armed conflict have always been favoured by the British.

Did we elect the Baby P mother's assessors? No. In fact we leave it to our elected officials to propose and appoint to positions of authority with revision powers to act on our behalf — rather like we used to do with the EU Commission — but with slightly less transparency...
Yes Pat we have civil servants,the problem being so many don't grasp that they're servants of the people and not there to tell us what's best for us.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 08:02:55 PM
The way I understand it we are part of NATO and all the involved countries have united in their decisions thus far. 
I think NATO went out of its way to state that countries helping Ukraine did  so unilaterally . NATO is only involved as far as ramping up the defences of NATO countries and will not be directly involved unless , well you know the rest . 
Nor were voters asked how the UK should become involved in Ukraine — was that mind-blowing arrogance from a PM needing a war to get a Maggie moment to support his premiership?
He didnt need to ask , did he ?  

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 08:02:55 PM
The way I understand it we are part of NATO and all the involved countries have united in their decisions thus far. Like your baby P problem we elect our representatives and put them into a position of knowing far more than we do in terms of security etc. I can imagine if we all had to decide every action of Government it would lead to anarchy. Even if we had a referendum culture there would be times when decisions need to be made fast. If we cannot abide by the majority for the good of the country what do we have left?
Johnson positioned himself as Europe's leader for supporting Ukraine, and was pictured strutting around Kyiv. Nato and localised armed conflict have always been favoured by the British.

Did we elect the Baby P mother's assessors? No. In fact we leave it to our elected officials to propose and appoint to positions of authority with revision powers to act on our behalf — rather like we used to do with the EU Commission — but with slightly less transparency...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

We went into the EU fifty years ago because we wanted to. Now we have changed our minds.

And we are supporting the Ukraine because it is the right to do
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Or do we elect representatives, rather than delegates, to do what they consider best for us...?
The way I understand it we are part of NATO and all the involved countries have united in their decisions thus far. Like your baby P problem we elect our representatives and put them into a position of knowing far more than we do in terms of security etc. I can imagine if we all had to decide every action of Government it would lead to anarchy. Even if we had a referendum culture there would be times when decisions need to be made fast. If we cannot abide by the majority for the good of the country what do we have left?

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 07:41:56 PM
In the same way that the electorate was not consulted about how we were entrenched into the EU. The arrogance of both is mind blowing.

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on July 07, 2022, 07:38:44 PM
Unbelievable!!

Both Major and Heseltine state that the members of the Tory party should not get a say in the next leader. We should leave it up to MP's.
And BTW, Brexit leave voters are xenophobic!! Nice one Mike 😂
In the same way that the electorate was not consulted about how we were entrenched into the EU. The arrogance of both is mind blowing.

Nick

Unbelievable!!

Both Major and Heseltine state that the members of the Tory party should not get a say in the next leader. We should leave it up to MP's. 
And BTW, Brexit leave voters are xenophobic!! Nice one Mike 😂 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

They don't. But having been there and done it, they can sometimes more readily identify opportunities, or problems...

cromwell

Cur John Major like so many think they still matter,they don't.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on July 07, 2022, 04:04:21 PM
Not forgetting that John Major himself had Margaret Thatcher working behind the scenes in the Tory Party making sure he stuck to her agenda. And Edward Heath was quite a thorn in Thatcher's side.

If I remember right, Harold Wilson disappeared completely from politics after his resignation, though.

Ex prime ministers have a right to voice their opinions on their successors, I believe, if they feel something is sufficiently important. In the future Boris Johnson will probably say things about our next prime minister.
Totally irrelevant, we all know about Major, that's why Spitting Image had him running about with an antenna on his head. 
Backseat driving and being a gob on legs are worlds apart. John Major has actually written a letter on JM headed paper to the Tory party giving his views. I would record his letter being set alight and send him the video. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on July 07, 2022, 04:04:21 PM
Not forgetting that John Major himself had Margaret Thatcher working behind the scenes in the Tory Party making sure he stuck to her agenda. And Edward Heath was quite a thorn in Thatcher's side.

If I remember right, Harold Wilson disappeared completely from politics after his resignation, though.

Ex prime ministers have a right to voice their opinions on their successors, I believe, if they feel something is sufficiently important. In the future Boris Johnson will probably say things about our next prime minister.
But I believe Harold Wilson resigned because he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's while in office — that might explain his withdrawal...

HDQQ

Not forgetting that John Major himself had Margaret Thatcher working behind the scenes in the Tory Party making sure he stuck to her agenda. And Edward Heath was quite a thorn in Thatcher's side. 

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on July 07, 2022, 03:07:15 PM
When is John Major's ego going to realise that he is a nobody and the exact same number of people give a flying fig about anything he has got to say. The EX's that can't keep their gobs shut weren't exactly squeaky clean them selves.

JM, dipping his naan bread into his Curry on many an occasion.

Tony Bliar, and his US cohort destabilising, we'll let's be brutally honest here, almost the whole world.

Gordon, and his mate Brenda or what ever she was called. Selling of the family silver (gold) at rock bottom price in order to lower taxes.

Corbyn, friend to every terrorist know to man along with his Marxist Leninist buddy John.

All you lefty leaning voters that call Boris out on a regular basis, do me a favour and jog on. You have no right to lecture the Tories on anything, and I've not even touched on Sir Beer Starmer and his grooming past.

And before Ducky pipes up, Raj Grewal, Cyril Smith, Jeremy Thorpe.
;D