Secular society from beginning of time.

Started by T00ts, July 07, 2022, 07:38:22 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 07:38:22 PM
In my study of the Old Testament today the question was asked do you know of any country/society that has been secular from its inception? Is there any group of people that we know of where secularity is not just a fairly modern construct?

I can't think of any but wondered if you brain boxes out there know better.
The closest I can think of is the Inuit people of the North . No particular 'religion ' but living shamen who guide through lifes problems . No divinity or gods , no creators or punishments in any afterlife ,  just life , living and surviving .

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 07, 2022, 08:37:39 PM
The limited research I've done suggests leaders in Ghana needed supernatural spirits to explain why they were leaders and should be respected. When others were taken to the Americas and Caribbean and put to work, they were encouraged to believe in a new set of supernatural spirits.

Work was repetitive and was made easier by rhythmic singing and beat. Amalgamating the rhythm of daily life with the new religious teachings seemed a way to appease the bosses and any Big Boss in the sky. It became a way of life (like ackee and green banana), and has now become a comfort blanket.

Like those marvellous Mediterranean churches, it's all worth enjoying and wondering at the many lives  invested in them. But I don't kid myself that any of it is really worth the death of one human being, or imparted life everlasting.

But I admit, it makes the death and suffering pill easier for some people to swallow...
Thank you for that. How far back in history do you reckon that to be? I'm guessing I probably need to go back as far as possible.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 07, 2022, 07:54:09 PM
Well I guess you could put it that way but it wouldn't be relevant to my current study. Even ancient and uncivilised tribes have some form of Deity even if it's trees fairies etc. What about your own origins do you have any info there.
The limited research I've done suggests leaders in Ghana needed supernatural spirits to explain why they were leaders and should be respected. When others were taken to the Americas and Caribbean and put to work, they were encouraged to believe in a new set of supernatural spirits.

Work was repetitive and was made easier by rhythmic singing and beat. Amalgamating the rhythm of daily life with the new religious teachings seemed a way to appease the bosses and any Big Boss in the sky. It became a way of life (like ackee and green banana), and has now become a comfort blanket.

Like those marvellous Mediterranean churches, it's all worth enjoying and wondering at the many lives  invested in them. But I don't kid myself that any of it is really worth the death of one human being, or imparted life everlasting.

But I admit, it makes the death and suffering pill easier for some people to swallow...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 07, 2022, 07:50:41 PM
Surely a more relevant question would be: do you know of any country/society that has not been initially culled into obedience by religious or political teaching from its inception.

Rulers have always needed a deity or higher morality to justify and maintain their position at the top...
Well I guess you could put it that way but it wouldn't be relevant to my current study. Even ancient and uncivilised tribes have some form of Deity even if it's trees fairies etc. What about your own origins do you have any info there.

patman post

Surely a more relevant question would be: do you know of any country/society that has not been initially culled into obedience by religious or political teaching from its inception.

Rulers have always needed a deity or higher morality to justify and maintain their position at the top...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

In my study of the Old Testament today the question was asked do you know of any country/society that has been secular from its inception? Is there any group of people that we know of where secularity is not just a fairly modern construct?

I can't think of any but wondered if you brain boxes out there know better.