Boris Johnson is clinging on to power - and it's shaping up to be a constitutional crisis

Started by SKY News, July 08, 2022, 07:00:12 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 08, 2022, 08:59:21 PM
Blaming the downfalls of Johnson and Major on the EU is bonkers, and reeks of desperation and/or infatuation.
A
One had run out of time, both were subject to lies and bought editorial — though in Johnson's case it was plumb dishonesty...
So the insane game of chicken Majors not so brilliant chancellor Norman the Eyebrows Lamont played with George Soros over the narrow band erm is a figment of our collective imagination ?

The day Lamont played those games the bank rate hit 23% or more and I walked out of the client that was about to go bust owing me thirty five grand and contemplated doing a Reggie Perrin to make sure the wife and kids kept the house 

Making it an accident is child's play when you know how.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 08, 2022, 10:59:58 AM
I think Boris' revenge will be taken cold if he ever bothers. He understands how it has been done, typical party panic led by those green behind the ears backbenchers, those who really want the PM label and those who really can't stand the thought that Brexit is done. They will make every effort now to water down what they can and doff their caps to the EU. The sick thing is that the EU know it.
Blaming the downfalls of Johnson and Major on the EU is bonkers, and reeks of desperation and/or infatuation.

One had run out of time, both were subject to lies and bought editorial — though in Johnson's case it was plumb dishonesty...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 08, 2022, 10:54:39 AM
It's not a constitutional.crosis.

It's a party political crisis

If the party wanted to, it could sort this out before Grouse Shooting started. All it needs is backbench cooperation on clearly explaining to the Wannabees who is felt serious and who hasn't a hope in hell. Swift voting of MPs to whittle down the numbers could see the 120,000? Party members getting balloted before July is out, with papers to be returned inside a week or two at most and the deed is done.

Any Delay in getting that vote done is down to the party and it's MPs

If Boris tries to chain himself to the radiator in the downstairs bog of number 10 after that vote is done, any defending him should be forced to read his 2010 criticism of Gordon Brown penned in his newspaper column where hevaccuses Brown of that very act.
I think Boris' revenge will be taken cold if he ever bothers. He understands how it has been done, typical party panic led by those green behind the ears backbenchers, those who really want the PM label and those who really can't stand the thought that Brexit is done. They will make every effort now to water down what they can and doff their caps to the EU. The sick thing is that the EU know it.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 08, 2022, 10:51:02 AM
He needs to be there until at least the end of July. He and Carrie issued a "save the date" invitation to lots of people to have a belated wedding reception at Chequers on 30th July. He needs to be PM to use the grace and favour house. Pity the tree house could not be built.
You have a point. I also think more time will be spent planning their future post No10. I fully expect him to cause a byelection. Good luck to him I feel that there will be remorse in Westminster quite soon.

johnofgwent

It's not a constitutional.crosis.

It's a party political crisis

If the party wanted to, it could sort this out before Grouse Shooting started. All it needs is backbench cooperation on clearly explaining to the Wannabees who is felt serious and who hasn't a hope in hell. Swift voting of MPs to whittle down the numbers could see the 120,000? Party members getting balloted before July is out, with papers to be returned inside a week or two at most and the deed is done.

Any Delay in getting that vote done is down to the party and it's MPs

If Boris tries to chain himself to the radiator in the downstairs bog of number 10 after that vote is done, any defending him should be forced to read his 2010 criticism of Gordon Brown penned in his newspaper column where hevaccuses Brown of that very act.

Barry

He needs to be there until at least the end of July. He and Carrie issued a "save the date" invitation to lots of people to have a belated wedding reception at Chequers on 30th July. He needs to be PM to use the grace and favour house. Pity the tree house could not be built.

STOP PRESS EDIT

I've just heard he has cancelled it.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: SKY News  on July 08, 2022, 07:00:12 AM
Boris Johnson is clinging on to power - and it's shaping up to be a constitutional crisis

Today is not a day to dwell on the niceties and nuances of Boris Johnson's first farewell of many - this is not the first time we will hear the personal reflections of his time in office and his wish that things had gone differently. Before long he will charge for the privilege.

Source: Boris Johnson is clinging on to power - and it's shaping up to be a constitutional crisis
What rubbish. I watched yesterday ad nauseum while Sky reporters (if that's even a good name for them) tried their darnedest to create a problem where one didn't exist. They hauled MPs who didn't understand how the system works in front of cameras to say that Boris was still a risk and should be replaced. It was clear from those who did understand that this was not possible. Sky wants to create a constitutional crisis simply to keep the ratings up.

SKY News

Today is not a day to dwell on the niceties and nuances of Boris Johnson's first farewell of many - this is not the first time we will hear the personal reflections of his time in office and his wish that things had gone differently. Before long he will charge for the privilege.

Source: Boris Johnson is clinging on to power - and it's shaping up to be a constitutional crisis