Race or Armageddon?

Started by T00ts, July 08, 2022, 11:31:32 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

I understand that one piece of "reporting" put pictures of all the candidates, including a picture of Penny M in a bikini.
Misogynistic and sexist, I would agree. But I don't think Rishi or Tom T would look so good in a bikini. ;D
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on July 11, 2022, 10:55:57 AM
It seems that Nadhim Zahawi is promising a return to austerity in the form of swingeing 20% cuts in almost every department, as if the country's services are not already falling apart after years of such cuts. This is to fund tax cuts of course. Though they still don't get that swingeing cuts do not only worsen service delivery which is now hopelessly crap enough already, but actually shrink the economy, reducing the tax take whilst increasing welfare expenditure, and limiting the scope for tax cuts. It is a downward spiral that has already delivered the largest decline in incomes since Napoleonic times, the most badly underperforming and rubbish public services we have ever known (try calling a policeman, seeing a dentist, or obtaining a passport), and yet the highest tax burden since the 1940s.

The roads are full of potholes, the grass is not being cut, most libraries are closed most days, access to GPs is in sharp decline, the NHS is on it's knees. Local councils have had their budgets halved. And yet we have the highest tax burden since the 1940s. This is what austerity has delivered (made worse by covid and Brexit). We as a nation are enduring a barely managed decline, the signs of which are obvious all around us. And Zahawi thinks we need more of the same?
I have a real problem with high taxes to fund whatever central governments decide needs the funds. I don't see how some chap in Whitehall can see what is needed locally. I would rather it was given to the local councils to spend where it is needed in their parish. The GPs are a problem since Blair decided to give them an offer that they could hardly refuse which involved a massive rise for fewer hours. Plus there is a whole swathe of them who are fast approaching retirement age and provision has not been made early enough to cover the deficit. There are still far too many potential doctors who miss out on education places. We have got to make the adjustment from where we were covered for the more menial jobs by EU cheaper labour who although they did not always have good well paid jobs were so much better off than at home that they didn't care. The whole basis of our economy needs a careful look and a decent plan that we can all see. 
I agree in principal that we should look to being a better paid economy but I think this is impossible to do quickly (as the Unions want) while we have some who won't do those jobs that the EU workers did. There is something wrong in our education system that gives the impression that some jobs are somehow inferior, but having said that every man is worthy of his hire.  I don't pretend to have the answers just offering some thoughts.

patman post

Truss is the worry for me. 

I guess she must perform far better in cabinet and departmental meetings than like one of Baron's blondes in public.

But I do not understand how she has that amount of support...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on July 10, 2022, 03:01:14 PM
Mordaunt weighs in quite high:

Has anyone else noticed that in this bar chart Tom Tugendhat looks remarkably like Suella Braverman whilst Suella Braverman looks remarkably like Tom Tugendhat?

On a more serious note, I am a little surprised to see Sunak rated so highly.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

It seems that Nadhim Zahawi is promising a return to austerity in the form of swingeing 20% cuts in almost every department, as if the country's services are not already falling apart after years of such cuts. This is to fund tax cuts of course. Though they still don't get that swingeing cuts do not only worsen service delivery which is now hopelessly crap enough already, but actually shrink the economy, reducing the tax take whilst increasing welfare expenditure, and limiting the scope for tax cuts. It is a downward spiral that has already delivered the largest decline in incomes since Napoleonic times, the most badly underperforming and rubbish public services we have ever known (try calling a policeman, seeing a dentist, or obtaining a passport), and yet the highest tax burden since the 1940s.

The roads are full of potholes, the grass is not being cut, most libraries are closed most days, access to GPs is in sharp decline, the NHS is on it's knees. Local councils have had their budgets halved. And yet we have the highest tax burden since the 1940s. This is what austerity has delivered (made worse by covid and Brexit). We as a nation are enduring a barely managed decline, the signs of which are obvious all around us. And Zahawi thinks we need more of the same?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on July 10, 2022, 11:02:47 AM
Keir Starmer was the main driving force in Labour trying to thwart your precious Brexit. 

I feel that credits the man with far more drive, acumen and ingenuity than he deserves. He was a fence sitter handed the job of standing at the helm and making poop-poop noises as per Toad of Toad Hall.

The real power in the zombie parliament was the treacherous waste of space handed the job of sticking his remoanervarse on the throne known as the speakers chair.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

Interesting if the two front runners were put to the membership seeing as one broke the law , and wasn't sure where he actually resided  until quiet recently. And that's not which part of London, the U.K but which country.
Still I suppose if recent political happenings are to go by ,anything goes. Oh and the other, what has she done to get in the limelight? Cause limelight seems to be essential in these matters.

T00ts

THat's a bit un-nerving. The two candidates with a slogan so far coming out at the top. ReadyforRishi/Ready4Rishi, and PM 4 PM. I find it slightly nauseating.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Barry

The Tories have to find a leader who the electorate can vote for. There are lots of important factors for individuals, such as the leader's stance on Brexit and the EU/NI, (still an issue), virus control, (could be further lockdowns, compulsory jabs? ) tax is a big one, cost of living/inflation is a huge problem, drift to become the unofficial Green party. Whatever the issue, individuals have the voting record of candidates so that they can make a decision, come the next general election.
One of the least "infected by Boris" candidates is Penny Mordaunt, who declared her candidacy today. She also clarified her stance on the trans issue to something approaching common sense.
If she was leader and does a good job until the next GE, I might actual vote for them, rather than spoil another ballot paper.

The Tories have only one chance at getting this right. If the leader they choose becomes another lame duck despite an 80 majority, before the next GE, they could be slaughtered in 2024.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on July 10, 2022, 11:58:01 AM
I have some good news for you guys. Today I was on the phone with DeppityDawg and we have decided to endorse Suella Braverman to thwart the Green Agenda and to make the liberals howl with rage.

Let's take back control.  Union Flag Union Flag Union Flag
lol if they pick her it would be a boon to Starmer which is the last thing he deserves.

cromwell

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on July 10, 2022, 11:58:01 AM
I have some good news for you guys. Today I was on the phone with DeppityDawg and we have decided to endorse Suella Braverman to thwart the Green Agenda and to make the liberals howl with rage.

:D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HallowedBrexit

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 11:13:06 AMthe naysayers have finally got their wish. They had just better be able to produce someone who is perfect to follow! Good luck with that.
The next leader is never going to be perfect. No one ever is. He or she just needs to demonstrate substantially more honesty and integrity than Johnson to be an improvement. That bar is quite low and most of the contenders can probably jump over it, though some risk being tainted for debasing themselves constantly to defend him.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 11:22:39 AM
LOL We have had slight detours in the journey and now a bit of a cul-de-sac. 

Well there you go Toots, Boris, has merely driven us down that cul-de-sac, not me. Was this about  Brexit,  or a reckless dismissal of one man's integrity, ? And can any of the people up for being PM improve the situation by any great degree?