Race or Armageddon?

Started by T00ts, July 08, 2022, 11:31:32 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on July 09, 2022, 01:12:25 PMIf they put in a solid conservative such as Steve Barclay, Kemi Badenoch or Suella Braverman, then the new PM will have nearly 2 years to rally the troops.
Suella Braverman? Are you kidding us? lol.

She has made an utter fool of herself in recent months with her cravenly dishonest defences of Johnson's lies. She has been laughed at by Question Time audiences. She will not serve as a convincing change of direction re integrity and is probably one of those candidates Starmer would most like to see in charge.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on July 09, 2022, 01:02:35 PM
If they put in someone tainted by association with Johnson they risk having trouble with the electorate at the next election.

No they won't.

If they put in a solid conservative such as Steve Barclay, Kemi Badenoch or Suella Braverman, then the new PM will have nearly 2 years to rally the troops.

And Starmer is moving his party to the right, so whatever happens we should end up with a Tory government.

Time will tell. Roll on 10 September
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on July 09, 2022, 12:53:35 PM
Rosie Duffield has endorsed Tom Tugendhat as a fellow Kent MP. However, she is a Labour MP, if that doesn't ring alarm bells, nothing will.

I see the ghost of Brexit will be driving the divisions in this leadership election, just as it has since Cameron went. If they put a wet in, they will have trouble with the Brexit party at the next election.
If they put in someone tainted by association with Johnson they risk having trouble with the electorate at the next election.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Rosie Duffield has endorsed Tom Tugendhat as a fellow Kent MP. However, she is a Labour MP, if that doesn't ring alarm bells, nothing will.

I see the ghost of Brexit will be driving the divisions in this leadership election, just as it has since Cameron went. If they put a wet in, they will have trouble with the Brexit party at the next election.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on July 09, 2022, 10:16:22 AM
Insofar as Sunak goes, he himself is tainted as well, having also been fined for breaking lockdown rules. And the public have come to see him as hopelessly out of touch after the furore over his wife's non-dom status and related media focus upon his vast wealth.

I think the Tories would be best advised to go with someone not deeply associated with the Johnson cabinets who can most credibly offer a clean break. Tom Tugendhat would probably be the wisest choice. He could credibly offer a clean break, especially if he were to bring fresh talent into the cabinet, and freeze out some of the most tainted or controvertial, eg Priti Patel. The Tories would likely enjoy a substantial bounce under him, especially if he performs well and says the right things at conference. And Starmer and his party will be revealed to be the busted flush they always have been.
I don't know too much about Tugendhat except he is described as too far left. Perhaps that's why he has your favour. ;D  I agree the Conservative have a PR problem but we who are pro Brexit are very concerned that there is a large amount of pressure from all sorts of areas to stick at least one leg back into EU organisations. Sadly too many in high places have hope for a rerun. 

srb7677

Insofar as Sunak goes, he himself is tainted as well, having also been fined for breaking lockdown rules. And the public have come to see him as hopelessly out of touch after the furore over his wife's non-dom status and related media focus upon his vast wealth.

I think the Tories would be best advised to go with someone not deeply associated with the Johnson cabinets who can most credibly offer a clean break. Tom Tugendhat would probably be the wisest choice. He could credibly offer a clean break, especially if he were to bring fresh talent into the cabinet, and freeze out some of the most tainted or controvertial, eg Priti Patel. The Tories would likely enjoy a substantial bounce under him, especially if he performs well and says the right things at conference. And Starmer and his party will be revealed to be the busted flush they always have been.

T00ts

It could be an interesting example of the hare and the tortoise. Ready4Rishi first out but perhaps Rushing4Rishi would be a better slogan. After all the rules aren't decided yet and are likely to be such that it prohibits many of the wannabes through lack of backers and his American gloss in his video just might turn us off so much that he doesn't even get the Parliamentary backing to throw his hat into the ring. What might work in the USA media could prove a real turn off here. Dairy Milk at the ready.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2022, 04:53:28 AM
I don't think Sunak has got a prayer.
I read this morning that Javid wants Sunak to support his anti Boris campaign because they are aiming at the same section of the electorate. What does that mean? There are many Conservative members and voters who are angry at how the MPs have behaved. Many agree about Boris' failings but this is now beginning to stink of a Remain vengeance attack which has managed to spook back benchers into a mindless midterm stampede. The lack of dignity in all this will be their biggest downfall.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on July 08, 2022, 11:11:58 PM
No can't agree but then since you are from Mars you perhaps wouldn't view him like us Venusians. The best description I have seen is 'snake'. He apparently registered his slogan in 2021 and had been plotting since the day after the partygate garden party picture went public. Since it was reckoned that that photo was taken from his office I don't think loyalty is his bag. Except of course to himself.
I don't think Sunak has got a prayer. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 08, 2022, 10:54:54 PM
Just watched that, it's not smarmy at all. It actually influenced me a bit in his favour. At the moment I don't have a favourite.
Video available on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1545426650032111616
No can't agree but then since you are from Mars you perhaps wouldn't view him like us Venusians. The best description I have seen is 'snake'. He apparently registered his slogan in 2021 and had been plotting since the day after the partygate garden party picture went public. Since it was reckoned that that photo was taken from his office I don't think loyalty is his bag. Except of course to himself.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 08, 2022, 08:32:58 PM
So Rishi Sunak is out of the starting gates and in the lead with his slick video. Smarmy is how I reacted.
Just watched that, it's not smarmy at all. It actually influenced me a bit in his favour. At the moment I don't have a favourite.
Video available on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1545426650032111616
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 08, 2022, 08:48:17 PM
Could you react otherwise?
He's brown...
Well wouldn't you know! Smarmy doesn't limit itself to skin colour it's a certain type of arrogant, self opinionated bloke who thinks he's god's gift to all.

cromwell

He's brown...
I always thought Gordon firmly in the labour camp.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

He's brown...
I hadn't noticed that. I do try not to see colour - what about you?
† The end is nigh †

patman post

He's brown...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...