Is anyone else finding the forum slow today?

Started by patman post, July 09, 2022, 06:19:10 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 09, 2022, 07:15:50 PM
Not discounting any of that, JoG, but other .com sites appear to be operating normally...

At my end in Wales the issue is a mix between latency resolving DNS which seems particularly slow today and responses to my browser which could be anything.

The 4k HDTV is happily displaying streamed content so there's nothing going on with UK servers. 

My browser seems to go through a series of interconnections to a place in the London Docks area. It's been a bottleneck for other sites before.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Servers are in the US along with the hosting. The queries are quick, that means there is no issues with the site so the bottleneck must be between the U.K. and the US. I'm in India and everything's been fine all day, which suggests a transatlantic issue. The forum does use a secure transport layer (SSL) which does slow things down slightly but not to the levels you're suggesting. No code changes have been made since December. VPN's which some members are using also slows traffic down, again not to these levels though. 

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Not discounting any of that, JoG, but other .com sites appear to be operating normally...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

The page created metric says .045 seconds with 24 queries.

The time between me pressing the "reply" and seeing the page to make a reply was 15 seconds

Yes "the forum" seems slow but I don't think the issue is necessarily at the server end.

Half the bloody world has been streaming a russian beating UK sanctions to lift the Wimbledon ladies final plate ...

That's got to have chewed up a few terabits of the interthinhgy
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Thanks for the replies.

I was fairly sure my home set up was OK, because email and access to work sites are working fine...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 09, 2022, 06:19:10 PM
I've run speed tests for my broadband and wi-fi, and all seems OK.

Other forums and sites seem fully functional. But pol-tics.com is particularly hesitant on iPad (Safari) and iMac (Firefox).

Anyone else noticing anything — or do I have to do some more local checking...?
Yes I just included as much to Nick a little while ago. Other sites are fine.

Barry

Yes, PP, 10 seconds or more to get a page to load. Only 0.294 seconds to load this page, so I expect there's a queue at the server.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

I've run speed tests for my broadband and wi-fi, and all seems OK.

Other forums and sites seem fully functional. But pol-tics.com is particularly hesitant on iPad (Safari) and iMac (Firefox).

Anyone else noticing anything — or do I have to do some more local checking...?