Good fences and neighbours

Started by Borchester, July 10, 2022, 07:42:55 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on July 12, 2022, 10:59:39 AM
Look up "adverse possession" - it's quite complicated!
The house to the left of us has been sold since, I assume the conveyancing was done and came back clean.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on July 12, 2022, 10:59:39 AM

Don't look up anything. The only people who gain from boundary disputes are lawyers.

But I have to say I like the sound of Nick's lad. He should go far :)
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2022, 11:14:25 PM
We had a stone wall down either side of our garden, about 4 foot high, bit crumbly at the bottom end. Old people, like you lot 😂 on either side, they just wanted privacy and my children were... well children. Both neighbours put 5 foot panel fences up a foot into their properties to reduce the ball return count. After one of our neighbours txt my wife that a naked 2 1/2 year old boy just dropped  down onto their lawn, after using the wall and panel fence combo, we removed the walls and ended up gaining about 2 foot either side. 17 years later we still have this extra land and am assuming that due to length of time it's now ours?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Keir Starmer is surely the man to speak to about fences. He must be an authority on them. He does after all spend most of his time sitting on them.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

We had a stone wall down either side of our garden, about 4 foot high, bit crumbly at the bottom end. Old people, like you lot 😂 on either side, they just wanted privacy and my children were... well children. Both neighbours put 5 foot panel fences up a foot into their properties to reduce the ball return count. After one of our neighbours txt my wife that a naked 2 1/2 year old boy just dropped  down onto their lawn, after using the wall and panel fence combo, we removed the walls and ended up gaining about 2 foot either side. 17 years later we still have this extra land and am assuming that due to length of time it's now ours?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on July 11, 2022, 08:15:11 PM
 So around 3 sides I have different styles. So I painted it all black!! Dancing
Razor wire is cheaper;)

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on July 11, 2022, 07:52:41 PM
I don't mind badgers, foxes, cats, rats, dogs, small children asking for their balls back and stealing my fruit. Or burglars, because they are the insurance company's worry. In fact, the only thing that really bothers me are folk that make a fuss.

Still, I was mildly looking forward to putting up the new fencing :)
There is another downside to shared fences. When it's you own you choose the style. I have one side topped with trellis about 30cm wide ' so we can chat to each other'. I like my neighbours but even so I would prefer them not to pop up through the trellis too often. So around 3 sides I have different styles. So I painted it all black!! Dancing

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on July 11, 2022, 05:44:30 PM
The badgers dig out the post footings so I waited until about four panels were down, drove some posts in further back added a few lengths of 4x2 from the new posts to the old posts, neighbours' happy badgers confused which hole they should use and no more post footings dug out.

I don't mind badgers, foxes, cats, rats, dogs, small children asking for their balls back and stealing my fruit. Or burglars, because they are the insurance company's worry. In fact, the only thing that really bothers me are folk that make a fuss.

Still, I was mildly looking forward to putting up the new fencing :)
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

The badgers dig out the post footings so I waited until about four panels were down, drove some posts in further back added a few lengths of 4x2 from the new posts to the old posts, neighbours' happy badgers confused which hole they should use and no more post footings dug out.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on July 10, 2022, 10:29:30 AM
Good neighbours always look after their fences and know their responsibilities.
As you know, I moved 4 months ago. Storm Eunice had been busy smashing part of MY fence just before we arrived. After doing the essential work in the house to make it comfortable, I put up a new section of fence. Cost me about £200 but it was bespoke, a bit higher than previously and the neighbours have been very friendly.
Now, Stourbridge neighbours were a different kettle of fish, their 6 foot panels got replaced after the foxes decided they could walk through them. They waited for us to go away a couple of days to replace them and said nothing at all. Those 6 foot panels are only about £35 each, so I don't know why people wait so long.

I am sure that this does not apply to you Barry, but I have a smidgen of sympathy for your neighbours.

The fence on the other side is also falling down. Fortunately it is kept up by various forms of plant life, but I reckon that I will have to do something about it come winter. But I will leave it until then because the the neighbours really are pains in the arse. Or rather the lass is. She was a pain in the arse before and now she is a pain in the arse with the baby blues, which makes her a pain in the arse with a cherry on the top.

Anyway, a few weeks back she looked at me and for no reason that I could work out but with her usual aggressive self pity, said,

"My brother is a solicitor."

"Nothing to be ashamed of my dear," I replied. "My daughter is one as well, although not something I like to mention in mixed company."

She gave me a look and self pitied away, not to disturb us again. At least so far.

Anyway, I have just twigged what is going on. Somehow she has gotten the idea that the fence is her responsibility and is probably terrified of a fat bill to have it repaired.

Anyway, she has just had a baby and my daughter hasn't practiced law in years, so I will leave matters in the care of time :)

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 07:51:42 AM
Nice one! All my garden fences are shared responsibility which I have always thought a bit stupid. When I moved here all the fences were in a bit of a state. The organisation needed was ridiculous involving 5 houses in all with relevant apportioned payments. It was forced 'let's get to know you' until the bills were settled.

Blimey toots, I can see the wars arising from that one.

As said, I always wait to be approached. I am never keen on putting my hand in my pocket, but it is miles better than the endless negotiations with the neighbours :)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Good neighbours always look after their fences and know their responsibilities.
As you know, I moved 4 months ago. Storm Eunice had been busy smashing part of MY fence just before we arrived. After doing the essential work in the house to make it comfortable, I put up a new section of fence. Cost me about £200 but it was bespoke, a bit higher than previously and the neighbours have been very friendly.
Now, Stourbridge neighbours were a different kettle of fish, their 6 foot panels got replaced after the foxes decided they could walk through them. They waited for us to go away a couple of days to replace them and said nothing at all. Those 6 foot panels are only about £35 each, so I don't know why people wait so long.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on July 10, 2022, 07:42:55 AM
We have a long fence that blew down last winter and I have been waiting to see what the neighbours do about it. Technically the fence belongs to them,  but I expect to be asked for a contribution and to be honest, I would rather keep my money in my pocket as long as possible.

So anyway, the neighbour has been hovering for the last month and I have been keeping well out of sight because to be even more honest, the thought of spending money makes me feel a bit sick. Matters haven't been helped by Madam insisting THAT I SPEAK TO THEM AND SORT THE MATTER OUT ! and similar such girlie bollocks. I have tried to explain that most problems sort themselves out if left in the care of time, but she wasn't having any of it. But anyway, last week I was proven right, although needless to say, I had the sense not to tell her wife that.

The neighbour collared me and said that she had arranged for some fencers to call and do the necessary. The only thing was (and here she was very apologetic) they might have to trample over our garden to do so.
I love our garden, but I have to admit that if they staged a re enactment of the 2nd battle of the Somme in it, it would look better. The only problem would be if the fencers wandered in and were swallowed up in the wilderness, never to be seen again.

Anyway, there was no suggestion of any mortal wounds to my wallet so I graciously agreed to her doing whatever she wanted to do and all is to the good

:)
Nice one! All my garden fences are shared responsibility which I have always thought a bit stupid. When I moved here all the fences were in a bit of a state. The organisation needed was ridiculous involving 5 houses in all with relevant apportioned payments. It was forced 'let's get to know you' until the bills were settled.

Borchester

We have a long fence that blew down last winter and I have been waiting to see what the neighbours do about it. Technically the fence belongs to them,  but I expect to be asked for a contribution and to be honest, I would rather keep my money in my pocket as long as possible.

So anyway, the neighbour has been hovering for the last month and I have been keeping well out of sight because to be even more honest, the thought of spending money makes me feel a bit sick. Matters haven't been helped by Madam insisting THAT I SPEAK TO THEM AND SORT THE MATTER OUT ! and similar such girlie bollocks. I have tried to explain that most problems sort themselves out if left in the care of time, but she wasn't having any of it. But anyway, last week I was proven right, although needless to say, I had the sense not to tell her wife that.

The neighbour collared me and said that she had arranged for some fencers to call and do the necessary. The only thing was (and here she was very apologetic) they might have to trample over our garden to do so.
I love our garden, but I have to admit that if they staged a re enactment of the 2nd battle of the Somme in it, it would look better. The only problem would be if the fencers wandered in and were swallowed up in the wilderness, never to be seen again.

Anyway, there was no suggestion of any mortal wounds to my wallet so I graciously agreed to her doing whatever she wanted to do and all is to the good

:)
Algerie Francais !