Dream ticket?

Started by T00ts, July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: patman post on July 10, 2022, 03:53:41 PM
I bet you most members are long-standing over-sixties who represent a few thousand people mainly in the southeast. Getting to them by mail and waiting for their vote is time consuming and expensive — maybe more acceptable if it could be done online, but still representative of very small sub-section of the total Tory electorate, let alone the whole country...

This will be all important , and at one time  I would have agreed ,about who these people were and where they could be found.
But I do wonder now.For  a start areas formerly berift of Tory members until the Brexit debate, have they actually joined the party? Safe middle England Rank Tory areas, such as where I live, do have their share of members that's for sure  but do not as constituencies support Brexit,. But then they still don't realise how close their party is to being taken over in fact this leadership race is as much to do with what really is a Tory as to how to run the country.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 04:33:17 PM
;D Dancing I bet they all have blue rinses too in your picture.
All but a couple of Col Blimps in Tunbridge Wells — but the jury's out on their particular leanings anyway...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 10, 2022, 05:15:50 PM
This morning a Google search threw up two stories one on GB News, the other on the Daily Fail, both of which suggest the dozen donors that between them provide a quarter of the party funds want to know if Boris can be a candidate ....

I would like to think those stories are about as real as the numbers on the bus. Given the amount of shit any critic of the Tw** gets, I fear there is substance in them. Hopefully crystal meth.
If those reports are true, then Boris is becoming more of a Poundland Trump each time he's mentioned...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sheepy on July 10, 2022, 02:55:27 PM
The Conservatives pick their own leaders as I have said, as you don't get a vote you don't get the choice, let them choose wisely.

This morning a Google search threw up two stories one on GB News, the other on the Daily Fail, both of which suggest the dozen donors that between them provide a quarter of the party funds want to know if Boris can be a candidate ....

I would like to think those stories are about as real as the numbers on the bus. Given the amount of shit any critic of the T@@@ gets, I fear there is substance in them. Hopefully crystal meth. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on July 10, 2022, 05:00:09 PM
I don't see why attempts to overcome the Brexit/Remainer divide should be made.

As far as I can see, Remainers are traitors who attempted to betray the UK to the EU, so as I have said before, the obvious solution is to march them down to Dover, point them in the general of Brussels and tell them to start walking. If they are lucky Mrs Leyen will arrange to drain the channel. If not, well they aren't Britain's concern anymore.

Other than that I would like any Brexiter as PM, with the possible exception of Priti Patel. I like her, but she has a tendency to get caught.
;D ;D  

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on July 10, 2022, 01:02:36 PM
It is certainly a combination designed for discord, and is more about attempting to enhance Hunt's chances of winning the leadership, rather than actually running the country well.

Though the Brexiteer/Remainer divide does need to be overcome somehow, with both coming together and moving forward. That applies to both parties. Forever assessing potential by where someone stood on a single issue in 2016 is not sensible but rather smacks of a kind of single issue obsessiveness, it seems to me.

I don't see why attempts to overcome the Brexit/Remainer divide should be made.

As far as I can see, Remainers are traitors who attempted to betray the UK to the EU, so as I have said before, the obvious solution is to march them down to Dover, point them in the general of Brussels and tell them to start walking. If they are lucky Mrs Leyen will arrange to drain the channel. If not, well they aren't Britain's concern anymore.

Other than that I would like any Brexiter as PM, with the possible exception of Priti Patel. I like her, but she has a tendency to get caught.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Good old on July 10, 2022, 04:26:15 PM
On the basis that instead of working steadily over an extended period toward a less demanding situation ,it became much more of a give us these concessions or else, it's in the air as to our future membership. That has to be as close to an ultimatum as makes no difference.
We had over 40 years of steadily capitulating to Europes demands with no signs of that easing off so I dont think steadily working to a less demanding situation would ever be on the cards whilst we remained tied to them . 

It was always the europhiles answer to Europe , change from within and all that , Camerons mission proved to enough people that that was never on the cards . 

For me that rules out Hunt and any remainer as too pro European to be PM . 

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 10, 2022, 03:53:41 PM
I bet you most members are long-standing over-sixties who represent a few thousand people mainly in the southeast. Getting to them by mail and waiting for their vote is time consuming and expensive — maybe more acceptable if it could be done online, but still representative of very small sub-section of the total Tory electorate, let alone the whole country...
;D Dancing I bet they all have blue rinses too in your picture.

Good old

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 10, 2022, 04:02:48 PM
It wasnt an ultimatum what Cameron asked of Brussels it was a gaurentee to remain . Had he got an opt out of further integration and a stop to in work benefits for EU migrants we would probably still be in the EU . So yes it was comparable

On the basis that instead of working steadily over an extended period toward a less demanding situation ,it became much more of a give us these concessions or else, it's in the air as to our future membership. That has to be as close to an ultimatum as makes no difference. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Good old on July 10, 2022, 02:45:42 PM
But that wasn't comparable , to whittling down our position. It was an ultimatum plain and simple, that stood no chance  because if ultimatums of that sort were bowed to then the EU had no real future because all of the major members could do the same. It's not hard to see what that would have meant.
It wasnt an ultimatum what Cameron asked of Brussels it was a gaurentee to remain . Had he got an opt out of further integration and a stop to in work benefits for EU migrants we would probably still be in the EU . So yes it was comparable 

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 03:42:03 PM
Giving the members a say is all important. Westminster is such a rarefied atmosphere full of game playing and back stabbing that the members bring a fresh perspective. They chose wisely with Boris for the thing that mattered most then and as long as Westminster puts the best out there then they will decide again.

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 10, 2022, 03:22:32 PM
I will be surprised if a Remain supporter becomes Tory leader.

If I were to have a vote***, I'd have to look at what else they could offer, and how they conducted themselves since 2010 (I'm not convinced any 2019 entrant would have sufficient experience or depth of knowledge).

Of the pre-2019 MPs, I'd currently rule out as my choice Grant Schaaps, Nadine Dorries, Liz Truss, and Priti Patel.

I have my favourites among the rest, though there are some I don't know enough about, however, I hope there is a clear-cut winner, and soon...

***PS — I don't see how opening up voting for a leader to party members, and not leaving the choice to MPs, makes the choice any more effectively democratic. Party members are still a tiny fraction of the electorate, and MPs have to work directly with their choice...
Giving the members a say is all important. Westminster is such a rarefied atmosphere full of game playing and back stabbing that the members bring a fresh perspective. They chose wisely with Boris for the thing that mattered most then and as long as Westminster puts the best out there then they will decide again.

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on July 10, 2022, 03:22:32 PM

If I were to have a vote, I'd have to look at what else they could offer, and how they conducted themselves since 2010 (I'm not convinced any 2019 entrant would have sufficient experience or depth of knowledge).

Of the pre-2019 MPs, I'd currently rule out as my choice Grant Schaaps, Nadine Dorries, Liz Truss, and Priti Patel.

I have my favourites among the rest, though there are some I don't know enough about, however, I hope there is a clear-cut winner, and soon...
They have been given until September, plenty of time to choose wisely, nobody can say we are not fair in that sense.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

If I were to have a vote***, I'd have to look at what else they could offer, and how they conducted themselves since 2010 (I'm not convinced any 2019 entrant would have sufficient experience or depth of knowledge).

***PS — I don't see how opening up voting for a leader to party members, and not leaving the choice to MPs, makes the choice any more effectively democratic. Party members are still a tiny fraction of the electorate, and MPs have to work directly with their choice...

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on July 10, 2022, 02:45:42 PM
But that wasn't comparable , to whittling down our position. It was an ultimatum plain and simple, that stood no chance  because if ultimatums of that sort were bowed to then the EU had no real future because all of the major members could do the same. It's not hard to see what that would have meant.
What is this rear guard action?  The EU did not bend to much to our demands and carried on as usual. N Ireland is not the EUs problem it's ours, it always was, and until someone can convince all Irishman to rule that island only as Irishmen it will remain our problem, only inflamed by the wish to implement Brexit no matter it's effect on N Ireland..
If by chance the Tories can find a leader to create a satisfactory parting of the ways with the EU, and maintain a settled and peaceful N Ireland ,they unlike Boris will deserve an elevated place in our political history.
The Conservatives pick their own leaders as I have said, as you don't get a vote you don't get the choice, let them choose wisely. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!