Dream ticket?

Started by T00ts, July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 02:22:06 PM
Don't you remember Cameron went to Brussels asking for more or less what you suggest telling them of course that he would advise us to stay in? The EU didn't listen or learn. We voted out! Since then they have fought a rear guard action in the hope that sooner or later a UK Government will come crawling.
Cameron went to Brussels in 2016. By then the EU's early warnings were activated and its defences were up.

Despite having to keep the LibDems onside, carrying forward Margaret Thatcher's plans for controlled partial disengagement should have been an aim from 2010 on — before any discussions became formalised and positions publicly entrenched...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 02:22:06 PM
Don't you remember Cameron went to Brussels asking for more or less what you suggest telling them of course that he would advise us to stay in? The EU didn't listen or learn. We voted out! Since then they have fought a rear guard action in the hope that sooner or later a UK Government will come crawling.

But that wasn't comparable , to whittling down our position. It was an ultimatum plain and simple, that stood no chance  because if ultimatums of that sort were bowed to then the EU had no real future because all of the major members could do the same. It's not hard to see what that would have meant.
What is this rear guard action?  The EU did not bend to much to our demands and carried on as usual. N Ireland is not the EUs problem it's ours, it always was, and until someone can convince all Irishman to rule that island only as Irishmen it will remain our problem, only inflamed by the wish to implement Brexit no matter it's effect on N Ireland..
If by chance the Tories can find a leader to create a satisfactory parting of the ways with the EU, and maintain a settled and peaceful N Ireland ,they unlike Boris will deserve an elevated place in our political history.

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 10, 2022, 02:05:35 PM
Whatever's on the different agendas, Brexit remains a principal concern both in the Tory leadership election and throughout UK politics.

As well as Johnson's many other faults and mistakes, he was hampered by his faulty compunction to get Brexit done at any cost.

It's a great shame that Tory administrations from 2010 on, didn't take on board Margaret Thatcher's approach of whittling down the UK's EU-membership commitments to, ultimately, a more favourable mainly trading association.

Latterly, Johnson's approach has been like an outsider wanting to be let back in a bit by threatening to punch themselves in the face if they don't get some of their wants met.

The next leader needs to be looking for conciliation rather than tin-can rattling confrontation...

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on July 10, 2022, 01:02:36 PM
It is certainly a combination designed for discord, and is more about attempting to enhance Hunt's chances of winning the leadership, rather than actually running the country well.

Though the Brexiteer/Remainer divide does need to be overcome somehow, with both coming together and moving forward. That applies to both parties. Forever assessing potential by where someone stood on a single issue in 2016 is not sensible but rather smacks of a kind of single issue obsessiveness, it seems to me.
Whatever's on the different agendas, Brexit remains a principal concern both in the Tory leadership election and throughout UK politics.

As well as Johnson's many other faults and mistakes, he was hampered by his faulty compunction to get Brexit done at any cost.

It's a great shame that Tory administrations from 2010 on, didn't take on board Margaret Thatcher's approach of whittling down the UK's EU-membership commitments to, ultimately, a more favourable mainly trading association.

Latterly, Johnson's approach has been like an outsider wanting to be let back in a bit by threatening to punch themselves in the face if they don't get some of their wants met.

The next leader needs to be looking for conciliation rather than tin-can rattling confrontation...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 10, 2022, 01:31:00 PM
I like Esther, she describes herself as a blue collar conservative and is probably on the left of centre of the Tory party. I heard her backing Hunt today and wondered if she has had a deliberate memory lapse. Hunt is strongly pro-EU and she is for making the most of Brexit. I wouldn't trust Hunt to solve the Northern Ireland issue. In relation to Covid Esther wanted common sense to prevail, Hunt wanted more lockdowns and he wanted compulsory jabs, not just in the NHS, but was pushing for them in the general public, too.
She is very good as a communicator, she is ambitious and perhaps she sees this as her best shot at getting close to the leadership, but, I fear she is making a compromise too far.
I agree hence my thought of ructions in No10. I can't see Hunt doing much that didn't stick with the status quo.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM
Jeremy Hunt must realise that his Remain credentials are a handicap so he is promising to make Esther McVey his Deputy (Running mate). She's a committed Brexiteer but doesn't that promise rows at No10 when it comes to crunch? Just how effective are Deputy PMs anyway on past experience?

I fear he is a wet - is she supposed to be his backbone? All does not auger well.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10999469/Tory-hopeful-Jeremy-Hunt-vows-make-Esther-McVey-deputy-PM-bid-boost-Brexiteer-credentials.html
I like Esther, she describes herself as a blue collar conservative and is probably on the left of centre of the Tory party. I heard her backing Hunt today and wondered if she has had a deliberate memory lapse. Hunt is strongly pro-EU and she is for making the most of Brexit. I wouldn't trust Hunt to solve the Northern Ireland issue. In relation to Covid Esther wanted common sense to prevail, Hunt wanted more lockdowns and he wanted compulsory jabs, not just in the NHS, but was pushing for them in the general public, too.
She is very good as a communicator, she is ambitious and perhaps she sees this as her best shot at getting close to the leadership, but, I fear she is making a compromise too far.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

It is certainly a combination designed for discord, and is more about attempting to enhance Hunt's chances of winning the leadership, rather than actually running the country well.

Though the Brexiteer/Remainer divide does need to be overcome somehow, with both coming together and moving forward. That applies to both parties. Forever assessing potential by where someone stood on a single issue in 2016 is not sensible but rather smacks of a kind of single issue obsessiveness, it seems to me.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Jeremy Hunt must realise that his Remain credentials are a handicap so he is promising to make Esther McVey his Deputy (Running mate). She's a committed Brexiteer but doesn't that promise rows at No10 when it comes to crunch? Just how effective are Deputy PMs anyway on past experience? 

I fear he is a wet - is she supposed to be his backbone? All does not auger well.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10999469/Tory-hopeful-Jeremy-Hunt-vows-make-Esther-McVey-deputy-PM-bid-boost-Brexiteer-credentials.html