Dream ticket?

Started by T00ts, July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on July 25, 2022, 01:06:03 PM
Yes I'm not too keen on bright blonde men either! ;D
Right. So as a blonde (ok these days grey / white but it USED to be ... Six foot something blue eyed Viking with an IQ of 142 (well it was when the hair was blonde)........
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 25, 2022, 09:44:17 PM
We've been explaining that price worth paying for at least 6 years, You have your fingers in your ears. Not our fault.
In six years our two princesses will be almost adults.

By then, I'd hoped all my and Mrs P's graft over the years would  have provided a launching pad for them to lift themselves off and become useful and worthwhile members of a world that has enough problems to cope with, without drawing up animosities, bigotry and xenophobias of the past.

I suspect our futures will likely be elsewhere...**

**Than the UK, rather than the World — though who knows...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 25, 2022, 09:32:58 PM
You seem to have been sucked into the doom and gloom Posty .  Cheer up the young people will be more than happy with their lot when its all sorted
But when's when...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 08:49:54 PM
But isn't it still a mess for both of them?

Although Brexiteers might think it a price worth paying, how do they explain the benefits of disruption and upheavals to  those under 40 who are used to better...?
We've been explaining that price worth paying for at least 6 years, You have your fingers in your ears. Not our fault.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Although Brexiteers might think it a price worth paying, how do they explain the benefits of disruption and upheavals to  those under 40 who are used to better...?
It wasn't better they just don't know any different. They have been raised to be Europeans. School syllabi among other things subtly changed to bring about their indoctrination. 

Streetwalker

You seem to have been sucked into the doom and gloom Posty .  Cheer up the young people will be more than happy with their lot when its all sorted 

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 25, 2022, 08:15:30 PM
Mmh, tricky.

All the Brexiters I know voted for their country while the Remainers voted for their wallets. It is hard to explain the one to the other

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 06:58:19 PM
As someone who understands Brexit is decided, and now wants it done, I'd love to understand how it isn't a mess...

Mmh, tricky.

All the Brexiters I know voted for their country while the Remainers voted for their wallets. It is hard to explain the one to the other
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on July 25, 2022, 03:32:12 PM
And here's you an Irishman from the republic who just wants to tell us brexit is a mess,nothing changes.
As someone who understands Brexit is decided, and now wants it done, I'd love to understand how it isn't a mess...

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on July 25, 2022, 05:15:51 PM
You were in the EU, why would they do anything. There was free travel for the UK within the EU.
As I have mentioned as a Foriegn traveler it was /is unrestricted  for me as well

Quote from: GerryT on July 25, 2022, 05:15:51 PM

The EU offered the UK free travel as part of the brexit negotiations, but the UK turned it down, preferring the drawbridge approach.
Indeed , we voted to leave not stay in the single market 
Quote from: GerryT on July 25, 2022, 05:19:24 PM
But why is the UK blaming the French for a UK made problem. This is 100% a result of Brexit.
Its not 100% brexit , there have been hold ups at the channel ports since we pissed the French off in 1415
Quote from: GerryT on July 25, 2022, 05:19:24 PM
Brexit is a mess, that's putting it kindly.
Not for us its not . It could be better but then the EU are not going to help a smooth process so feck em . I hope the new government under Truss start playing hardball 

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2022, 03:33:23 PM
I don't know what happens now because I haven't botheted with leaving the country for years.

Prior to brexit the French did absolutely f**k all. Over twenty journeys through Dover and six on the shuttle and all the ridiculously costumed T**** ever did was stand there and wave you past
Well, exactly.
But the UK is no longer in the club, so it's lost the privileges of membership...

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on July 25, 2022, 03:32:12 PM
And here's you an Irishman from the republic who just wants to tell us brexit is a mess,nothing changes.
But why is the UK blaming the French for a UK made problem. This is 100% a result of Brexit. 
Brexit is a mess, that's putting it kindly.

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2022, 03:33:23 PM
I don't know what happens now because I haven't botheted with leaving the country for years.

Prior to brexit the French did absolutely f**k all. Over twenty journeys through Dover and six on the shuttle and all the ridiculously costumed T**** ever did was stand there and wave you past
You were in the EU, why would they do anything. There was free travel for the UK within the EU.

The EU offered the UK free travel as part of the brexit negotiations, but the UK turned it down, preferring the drawbridge approach.

GerryT

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 02:16:14 PM
I thought passports were now scanned when I handed them to the French Frontier Police when going through Folkestone and Dover. Wouldn't that register entry/departure dates and time spent?

I assumed the minute or so we now have to wait for them to be stamped and handed back was due to the computer delay in recording and OK-ing everything.

I guess the reason for stamping is if stopped, whoever's checking can see the date of entry...
That system is new and from what I know hasn't been fully commissioned. It will help but it won't stop the checks. Pre brexit you were just waved through, now each person is checked. Put a thousand people with cars, caravans and pets it's perfectly understandable there is waiting times. But it's not every day that such large numbers head to Dover, worth thinking about with the Aug bank holiday approaching.
If the French wanted to be difficult they could grind all passenger and freight movements to a halt very easily by "working to rule". If UK press keep blaming the French, for a UK problem, you could have a self fulfilling prophecy very easily. 
Why don't the UK solve this, bolster the Dover infrastructure, pay France far more to man the custom booths. This is a UK problem, not a French problem.

Can you picture how bad it would be if all the thousands of UK citizens that got an EU passport in the past couple of yrs were to travel on their UK one. 

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 25, 2022, 01:21:25 PM
So you're telling me when I land in Schiphol or CDG they don't care how long I've been in the EU in the last 180 days? Otherwise it's the exact same check whether by boat or plane. And never in 35 years of travelling for work, sometimes flying over 100K miles a year have I ever been asked to show how much money I had to exist on. I'd like to bet that no one on this forum has ever had to prove that.
The EES system was due on line in June this yr. An article in the Guardian, 2 days ago, said when that comes on line in Dover that more problems are expected until it gets fully integrated. If you look dodgy they can check your funds, car etc.. If you can't prove you have the funds, then you don't get in. That's what being a 3rd country means.
just because you, on business, weren't stopped or questioned doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That's the thing about raising the draw bridge to keep out the pesky foreigners, it also keeps the people of the UK in. 
I had to prove I had sufficient funds going into Australia in 1989.
Dover is not setup adequately to manage all the time, once there is a peak in travellers then the ques build, and that is how it will be, until the UK fix the UK problem at dover, the port authorities have estimated 30m, which they haven't got and requested years ago. It's no surprise there are such problems.