Dream ticket?

Started by T00ts, July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 24, 2022, 07:12:29 PM
Do let me know if you manage to find a blue rinse in Tonbridge Wells! ;D So far the indications are that those MPs who have backed Sunak are quite out of touch with their members and the public in general. So perhaps it is better that the members have a say. Sunak fools himself that he is the candidate to beat Starmer. There are too many skeletons in his cupboard and on recent past performances Starmer will have a field day.

Would that it were so.

The problem with Rishi is that there don't appear to be any skeletons in his cupboard. He is just another dreary little sod who wants to be PM
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on July 24, 2022, 07:12:29 PM
Do let me know if you manage to find a blue rinse in Tonbridge Wells! ;D So far the indications are that those MPs who have backed Sunak are quite out of touch with their members and the public in general. So perhaps it is better that the members have a say. Sunak fools himself that he is the candidate to beat Starmer. There are too many skeletons in his cupboard and on recent past performances Starmer will have a field day.
Most live in Hartley Wintney.
I know this having had to stay there as a y2k guru
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on July 24, 2022, 07:20:39 PM

Is this the sort of thing we should look out for?  :P Dancing

How did I know you would be along in a flash?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Is this the sort of thing we should look out for?  :P Dancing

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 24, 2022, 06:48:27 PM
That's why selecting a replacement PM should be left to (party) MPs — the electorate should matter all the time.

A couple of weeks in limbo while contestants tickle the tummies out the blue rinses in Tonbridge Wells should never be allowed...
Do let me know if you manage to find a blue rinse in Tonbridge Wells! ;D So far the indications are that those MPs who have backed Sunak are quite out of touch with their members and the public in general. So perhaps it is better that the members have a say. Sunak fools himself that he is the candidate to beat Starmer. There are too many skeletons in his cupboard and on recent past performances Starmer will have a field day.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 24, 2022, 03:54:15 PM
The priority now is for the voting Conservative Party since they are choosing the Party leader. So at the moment they are the prime concern. Once there is a PM then the rest of the electorate will start to matter.
That's why selecting a replacement PM should be left to (party) MPs — the electorate** should matter all the time.

A couple of weeks in limbo while contestants tickle the tummies out the blue rinses in Tonbridge Wells should never be allowed...

**The well-being of the country should be the prime concern, always...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Seems apt. One can only hope
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 24, 2022, 12:52:15 PM
And the French will be fishing off the shore with Beach Casters cause they won't be in our waters.
What the EU are doing in the courts is political nothing more, and most of the leavers on here preferred a hard Brexit instead of a none deal anyway.
That legal action is far from political as you put it. The EU won't even consider putting a border on this Island until all avenues are first exhausted. Once it's shown that the UK broke the international agreement, that won't be hard (if this Bill gets passed) then the EU can take strong legal action. That legal action won't be questioned globally as the EU will be acting within the bounds of the agreement.

The last thing the UK needs, on top of everything else is a trade war with the EU, the only people that prob don't get that is the likes of Truss, Rabb etc.. the stupid ones. The legal action currently in the grinder is relating to the UK not implementing the checks on it's borders as agreed, this is the first step. The EU has been more that patient with perfidious Albion, once the screw is turned the UK will abandon NI.

If that's the way things go Scotland will be running away from the UK as quickly as possible, I guess the French boats will just trip there.  What will the UK do with the rest of the fish, freeze it and sell it to Australia for penny's ?

How much is Fishing worth to the UK, or should I say England. If push comes to shove they will abandon them as well, it's not like the UK fishing industry is happy with Brexit.

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 24, 2022, 03:07:31 PM
But the talk is mostly about immigration, not a topic that's uppermost in people's minds round here. Even on radio phone-ins it's candidates' supporters who raise the topic. General callers seem more concerned about feeding and housing their families.

Are the candidates only pitching to the 160,000 Tory party membership? In a way I hope so, because there are other serious and urgent problems facing us. In another way, I'm afraid that immigration is actually top of the pops with the current crop of Tories...
The priority now is for the voting Conservative Party since they are choosing the Party leader. So at the moment they are the prime concern. Once there is a PM then the rest of the electorate will start to matter.

patman post

But the talk is mostly about immigration, not a topic that's uppermost in people's minds round here. Even on radio phone-ins it's candidates' supporters who raise the topic. General callers seem more concerned about feeding and housing their families.

Are the candidates only pitching to the 160,000 Tory party membership? In a way I hope so, because there are other serious and urgent problems facing us. In another way, I'm afraid that immigration is actually top of the pops with the current crop of Tories...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

Quote from: patman post on July 24, 2022, 02:05:39 PM
Can't see there was ever a Dream Ticket — any outcome is looking now more like a Nightmare.
The stupid thing is that Brexit hasn't been got done!!!

The current travel cock-ups and lack of planning for what could have been foreseen as an increased summer getaway — highlighted at Dover and Folkestone — illustrates the point that the UK has left the EU.

So, unless the UK negotiated an agreement otherwise —which it obviously hadn't — all easy wave-through travel arrangements extended to club members are now denied the UK because it chose to leave and become an outsider. It didn't want a Norway or Swiss option.

Striving to arrive at workable and sensible social and trading arrangements with the EU surely has to be a priority for all our sakes. But, along with Cost of Living, Climate Change and Energy Prices, this has hardly been touched on by any of the Tory leadership candidates...

Dream ticket , nightmare maybe. At least Richie, has mentioned we are in the. Shite, which just seems to meet a universal . Yeh  well! 
As for Brexit , it seems to me the Tories are frightened to negotiate outside of asking for , and not giving.
Understandable  as any compromise now has to be just that, not better than we had, and not really Brexit.
The only win is if Brexit does actually benefit this country but that can be dragged out for years to come,and probably will be.

cromwell

Quote from: Good old on July 24, 2022, 02:00:20 PM
I didn't quote you? The reference was across the board .  Names was aimed  at the Gammon comment, none of it helps. Of course the answer is go somewhere else. If that's possible . It might help if more ports were used . Or  get a flight without your car, a flight  that may or  might not go. It stands to reason if you are going to make checks and spend time on thousands of travellers , when you had not before, it needs a lot more personnel. And the Calais crossing doesn't just service France, but gives access to most of Europe, not as easily as once but there you go.
Go tit for tat by all means , it will just take that much longer to get any real benefits out of Brexit.
If this is another example of Brexit working for the benefit of everyone it's  not a good one. And believe me we need Brexit to work and work well .
No you didn't not me or anyone but since it was the post following mine I made a wrong assumption......apologies.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Can't see there was ever a Dream Ticket — any outcome is looking now more like a Nightmare.
The stupid thing is that Brexit hasn't been got done!!!

The current travel cock-ups and lack of planning for what could have been foreseen as an increased summer getaway — highlighted at Dover and Folkestone — illustrates the point that the UK has left the EU.

So, unless the UK negotiated an agreement otherwise —which it obviously hadn't — all easy wave-through travel arrangements extended to club members are now denied the UK because it chose to leave and become an outsider. It didn't want a Norway or Swiss option.

Striving to arrive at workable and sensible social and trading arrangements with the EU surely has to be a priority for all our sakes. But, along with Cost of Living, Climate Change and Energy Prices, this has hardly been touched on by any of the Tory leadership candidates...

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on July 24, 2022, 01:13:58 PM
Here we go again,I wasn't calling anyone petty names.

The easy answer is though go on holiday somewhere else and yeah so we should start inspecting French goods,why do the French have to deploy more people?they don't but with any luck Brits will give France a swerve and go elsewhere.

I didn't quote you? The reference was across the board .  Names was aimed  at the Gammon comment, none of it helps. Of course the answer is go somewhere else. If that's possible . It might help if more ports were used . Or  get a flight without your car, a flight  that may or  might not go. It stands to reason if you are going to make checks and spend time on thousands of travellers , when you had not before, it needs a lot more personnel. And the Calais crossing doesn't just service France, but gives access to most of Europe, not as easily as once but there you go.
Go tit for tat by all means , it will just take that much longer to get any real benefits out of Brexit. 
If this is another example of Brexit working for the benefit of everyone it's  not a good one. And believe me we need Brexit to work and work well . 

cromwell

Quote from: Good old on July 24, 2022, 12:11:22 PM
Here we go again , the same old, Yer wells, what abouts. Name calling.
The French are not all Brit lovers by some way, the Brits are not all French lovers either and yes just like most nations ,the French  do indulge in a bit of trade protection by the back door on occasion , and most nations includes our own.
If you are not a member of the EU you get your passport checked and stamped,always was the case and still is. Nothing has changed except the Brits are not in the EU.
We decide to leave creating this situation, so why do the French, have to employ more  or at least deploy staff from dealing with other nationalities to accommodate the Brits demanding entry.?
Would we bow to this if the boot was on the other foot? .I doubt it somehow.
If Brexit is ever going to work we have to get used to the fact that we have created a hard border with the EU members similar to any other border we have to live with. It is what it is , and if it proves to be a hole we dug it's only us that can take credit for it ,or the blame for it.
By the way this situation could be helped by compromise , but Brexit can not be undone.
Here we go again,I wasn't calling anyone petty names.

The easy answer is though go on holiday somewhere else and yeah so we should start inspecting French goods,why do the French have to deploy more people?they don't but with any luck Brits will give France a swerve and go elsewhere.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?