Dream ticket?

Started by T00ts, July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 02:16:14 PM
I thought passports were now scanned when I handed them to the French Frontier Police when going through Folkestone and Dover. Wouldn't that register entry/departure dates and time spent?

I assumed the minute or so we now have to wait for them to be stamped and handed back was due to the computer delay in recording and OK-ing everything.

I guess the reason for stamping is if stopped, whoever's checking can see the date of entry...
I don't know what happens now because I haven't botheted with leaving the country for years.

Prior to brexit the French did absolutely F@@@ all. Over twenty journeys through Dover and six on the shuttle and all the ridiculously costumed twats ever did was stand there and wave you past 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on July 25, 2022, 12:50:37 PM
The difference is those ports/airports are geared up for 3rd country traveller's, the volume of people on a UK flight is nothing like the volume on a boat at Dover. The issue at Dover is the checks are being done in the UK, not in France. Dover isn't able to handle the volume of traffic, because the UK Govt didn't upgrade it to cater for the post brexit checks. Why wasn't dover upgraded ? well go ask your Govt. maybe they didn't want to admit that this is what being a 3rd country means. Dover authorities asked for 30m, they didn't get it, now dover is a mess, that's not the fault of the French.

UK people travelling to the EU have to be checked, how long have they been in the EU in the past 180 days, have they money for their trip etc.. This only takes min's but if you have thousands of people, with cars and caravans at the same time you get delays, maybe UK people should have thought about that. But here we are blaming the French (EU) for your own problems, nothing changes.
And here's you an Irishman from the republic who just wants to tell us brexit is a mess,nothing changes.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 02:16:14 PM
I thought passports were now scanned when I handed them to the French Frontier Police when going through Folkestone and Dover. Wouldn't that register entry/departure dates and time spent?

I assumed the minute or so we now have to wait for them to be stamped and handed back was due to the computer delay in recording and OK-ing everything.

I guess the reason for stamping is if stopped, whoever's checking can see the date of entry...
Having been travelling on a non eu passport that needs scanning since they brought in the biometrics I can assure it takes about 10 seconds if that before its stamped and handed back not a minute or so . 

The French are playing silly buggers if its taking over a minute . The biometrics record all the info they need ,they dont even have to stamp passports anymore . 

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on July 25, 2022, 12:50:37 PM
UK people travelling to the EU have to be checked, how long have they been in the EU in the past 180 days, have they money for their trip etc.. This only takes min's but if you have thousands of people, with cars and caravans at the same time you get delays, maybe UK people should have thought about that. But here we are blaming the French (EU) for your own problems, nothing changes.
So you're telling me when I land in Schiphol or CDG they don't care how long I've been in the EU in the last 180 days? Otherwise it's the exact same check whether by boat or plane. And never in 35 years of travelling for work, sometimes flying over 100K miles a year have I ever been asked to show how much money I had to exist on. I'd like to bet that no one on this forum has ever had to prove that. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on July 25, 2022, 12:54:40 PM
The similarities between Trump and Johnson are worrying.
Yes I'm not too keen on bright blonde men either! ;D

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 25, 2022, 12:30:10 PM
Isn't it more to do with the MPs' choices? So you don't like Boris, fair enough, but when he was elected the choice was between Jeremy Hunt, a nice enough chap, but a Remainer. At that time he didn't cut it. Now the MPs have decided they want a change regardless of the success of his election results - against all the odds. So what do they do? They give the membership a rotten choice again. Neither candidate is good enough.
I didn't see the sense of Brexit, and still don't. But when Johnson was voted in with such resounding numbers, I thought Brexit could be made to work — second best, but workable.

Then came the let-downs, not only with Brexit arrangements, but mishandled Covid, lies about NHS support hospitals and staffing, cavalier lying about happenings in N.10, cronyism, the Pattinson affair, lies about funding flat refurbishment, etc, etc, etc.

He had to go.

I saw one problem — there was nobody outstanding enough to immediately take on the role. There still isn't. The UK's only hope is that Truss (for it looks like it'll be her) can grow into the job. I just hope she loses that six-year-old schoolgirl presentation style and level of comprehension.

Caught Keir Starmer's speech in Liverpool this morning. Good stuff. He's beginning to look like he could bring Labour back into power. And if he does, the apparent lack of Tory heavyweights, could put them out of power for some time...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GerryT

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 12:17:40 PM
There's 10,000 party members wanting Boris on the ticket — I think that says most about their competence to choose the next PM...
The similarities between Trump and Johnson are worrying. 

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 25, 2022, 08:52:53 AM
Strange how I can get on a Flight to Amstedam, a ferry to Rotterdam or Dun Laoghaire, even a flight to CDG or Munich  without a problem! The difference being, the flight to Paris combines all non-schengen passengers through the security checkpoint and the French can't mess with the British without disrupting everyone. The Dutch don't play stupid games like the French so Rotterdam flows without issue. So no, it isn't Brexit: i's the French.
The difference is those ports/airports are geared up for 3rd country traveller's, the volume of people on a UK flight is nothing like the volume on a boat at Dover. The issue at Dover is the checks are being done in the UK, not in France. Dover isn't able to handle the volume of traffic, because the UK Govt didn't upgrade it to cater for the post brexit checks. Why wasn't dover upgraded ? well go ask your Govt. maybe they didn't want to admit that this is what being a 3rd country means. Dover authorities asked for 30m, they didn't get it, now dover is a mess, that's not the fault of the French.

UK people travelling to the EU have to be checked, how long have they been in the EU in the past 180 days, have they money for their trip etc.. This only takes min's but if you have thousands of people, with cars and caravans at the same time you get delays, maybe UK people should have thought about that. But here we are blaming the French (EU) for your own problems, nothing changes.

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 12:17:40 PM
There's 10,000 party members wanting Boris on the ticket — I think that says most about their competence to choose the next PM...
Isn't it more to do with the MPs' choices? So you don't like Boris, fair enough, but when he was elected the choice was between Jeremy Hunt, a nice enough chap, but a Remainer. At that time he didn't cut it. Now the MPs have decided they want a change regardless of the success of his election results - against all the odds. So what do they do? They give the membership a rotten choice again. Neither candidate is good enough.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 24, 2022, 07:12:29 PM
Do let me know if you manage to find a blue rinse in Tonbridge Wells! ;D So far the indications are that those MPs who have backed Sunak are quite out of touch with their members and the public in general. So perhaps it is better that the members have a say. Sunak fools himself that he is the candidate to beat Starmer. There are too many skeletons in his cupboard and on recent past performances Starmer will have a field day.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on July 25, 2022, 08:52:53 AM
Strange how I can get on a Flight to Amstedam, a ferry to Rotterdam or Dun Laoghaire, even a flight to CDG or Munich  without a problem! The difference being, the flight to Paris combines all non-schengen passengers through the security checkpoint and the French can't mess with the British without disrupting everyone. The Dutch don't play stupid games like the French so Rotterdam flows without issue. So no, it isn't Brexit: i's the French.
That's no doubt the case for you. But the bulk of road-going holiday traffic from the UK to mainland Europe goes through Dover and Folkestone, and has done so for years.

Predicting last weekend's surge in traffic didn't need a crystal ball — just a bit of foresight.

We've used Newhaven, Portsmouth, and Harwich as UK departure ports. I've not heard of recent extensive delays for them. The journeys are longer and usually more expensive, but they can have the advantage of cutting driving miles. This year, three clients have complained about delays to supplies coming through Hamburg and Rotterdam.

For me this year, one shuttle and three Eurostar trips have just required a bit of extra time at book in...

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on July 24, 2022, 09:57:02 PM
He was also fined for party-gate. He got stick for his wife being a non dom saying that she was not British therefore couldn't pay tax here but then within days we discovered that she could and would. He will be drubbed for being far too wealthy to understand or relate to anyone in the normal tax bracket. He oversaw the theft of millions during the shutdown most of which has not been recovered. He stabbed Boris in the back having planned it for ages. Can you imagine PMQs every week? Starmer will bang that drum ad nauseum.
Why would it matter? It is just pantomime controlled by the dark forces under the guise of progress. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: patman post on July 24, 2022, 02:05:39 PM
Can't see there was ever a Dream Ticket — any outcome is looking now more like a Nightmare.
The stupid thing is that Brexit hasn't been got done!!!

The current travel cock-ups and lack of planning for what could have been foreseen as an increased summer getaway — highlighted at Dover and Folkestone — illustrates the point that the UK has left the EU.

So, unless the UK negotiated an agreement otherwise —which it obviously hadn't — all easy wave-through travel arrangements extended to club members are now denied the UK because it chose to leave and become an outsider. It didn't want a Norway or Swiss option.

Striving to arrive at workable and sensible social and trading arrangements with the EU surely has to be a priority for all our sakes. But, along with Cost of Living, Climate Change and Energy Prices, this has hardly been touched on by any of the Tory leadership candidates...
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on July 24, 2022, 09:43:34 PM
Would that it were so.

The problem with Rishi is that there don't appear to be any skeletons in his cupboard. He is just another dreary little sod who wants to be PM
He was also fined for party-gate. He got stick for his wife being a non dom saying that she was not British therefore couldn't pay tax here but then within days we discovered that she could and would. He will be drubbed for being far too wealthy to understand or relate to anyone in the normal tax bracket. He oversaw the theft of millions during the shutdown most of which has not been recovered. He stabbed Boris in the back having planned it for ages. Can you imagine PMQs every week? Starmer will bang that drum ad nauseum.