Dream ticket?

Started by T00ts, July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 26, 2022, 02:38:51 PM
By which time they will be looking for doctors to marry and out of your hands.

Meanwhile, it is your problem. We have families of our own to worry on, we can't take on yours.
It doesn't work that way. They turn up with an assortment of grandchildren and pets that need baby or pet sitters while they bugger off on holiday, and their drain in your wallet is permanent until you cease to fill it.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 06:09:02 PM
Well, exactly.
But the UK is no longer in the club, so it's lost the privileges of membership...
I think you've missed my point.

As I believe I pointed out on multiple past occasions, while I was never as frequent a traveller as Nick😃 my father's involvement in detecting incoming Russians made him a fairly frequent traveler to the eastern edges of western Europe if only to assist his analysis of how best to turn any trying coming the other way into charted molten radioactive slag.

From the age of three, before the Russians shot down Gary powers, I was travelling across the French border on my own passport so i could travel with mum OR dad should the need arise. This was after the treaty of Rome but before Charles DeGaulles famous gallic shoulder shrug. And no significant queues.

But the border became a playpen for the French to play the national game of "pissing on Les rosbifs" and year in, year out, regardless of our status, the French would piss on the British traveller trying to get to Europe at the start of the holiday season(s).

Thats all this is
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 10:20:51 PM
In six years our two princesses will be almost adults.

By then, I'd hoped all my and Mrs P's graft over the years would  have provided a launching pad for them to lift themselves off and become useful and worthwhile members of a world that has enough problems to cope with, without drawing up animosities, bigotry and xenophobias of the past.

I suspect our futures will likely be elsewhere...**

**Than the UK, rather than the World — though who knows...?

By which time they will be looking for doctors to marry and out of your hands.

Meanwhile, it is your problem. We have families of our own to worry on, we can't take on yours.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on July 26, 2022, 11:04:11 AM
I don't think the french much care, its a low priority for them. So what if the uk has waiting time at airports and ports. Its what you voted for, taking back control.
You are aware that Brittany Ferries was born out of the desire for French farmers to ship English punters to France and spend money? And that the French tourism industry crashed by 103 billion Euros during Covid? But you're saying they don't really care.

Airport waiting times, as you've been told a hundred times is down to Covid and nothing to do with Brexit. Schiphol, Chicago, CDG, Munich all have the same problems. As I previously mentioned, Amsterdam had to close one of its runways due to staff shortages. Was that Brexit?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Good old on July 26, 2022, 01:29:30 PM
The irony. We have the control, yet the French call the tune. Does that work? Surely not.
In reality it's a storm in a tea cup. The rag press jump on it when 8 French border officers didn't show for work on Fri, they were replaced on Sun. But the port needs refurb, it worked fine when there was free movement and no checks on goods, it's totally inadequate now. But the brexiteers said there would be no delays at Dover, that the UK held all the cards, that the NHS would be 350m a week richer and that removing the burden of EU bureaucratic paperwork would allow the UK to flourish. Having to spend tens of millions on a port would have been bad press so it wasn't done, but it will happen some day. When it does the queue's won't be so bad, but the paperwork/checks will always be there.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on July 26, 2022, 02:01:17 PM
First it wasn't a battle for democracy or freedom. Leaving the EU, with such ease just shows how the UK was always free to do what it wanted. If you're not happy with the level of "freedom" you decided to have, you can always do a harder brexit. No trade deal and you can remove your border in the Irish sea and do what you like with your fish. The choice is all yours.
Democracy, that's a very different thing, each country has it's own version of it, yours is slipping.
Yes, it was, no it isn't. What you come out with is your own responsibility not mine. I know for a fact in Ireland there is a growing discontent with its government and the EU. Same in France and Scotland. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on July 26, 2022, 01:51:50 PM
Depends on the context Gerry, we won the battle for democracy fair and square, are we losing the battle for freedom? time will tell.
First it wasn't a battle for democracy or freedom. Leaving the EU, with such ease just shows how the UK was always free to do what it wanted. If you're not happy with the level of "freedom" you decided to have, you can always do a harder brexit. No trade deal and you can remove your border in the Irish sea and do what you like with your fish. The choice is all yours.
Democracy, that's a very different thing, each country has it's own version of it, yours is slipping.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2022, 01:24:24 PM
The Brits holiday and spend a lot in France,if they stop going they might care then.
They still will, they might care, but nothing they can do about it, it's a UK problem that needs the UK to resolve it. The UK is a third country and checks are needed. The UK needs to build the required infrastructure, it will create jobs, win win.

If people care enough they can lobby their TD and have them put port infrastructure high up on their manifest.

The UK will also have to start doing checks on incoming goods, at some point. How is the recruitment of those 50,000 customs officials going then ?

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on July 26, 2022, 01:49:05 PM
Do you call Brexit winning ?
Depends on the context Gerry, we won the battle for democracy fair and square, are we losing the battle for freedom? time will tell.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on July 26, 2022, 12:14:44 PM
Yes, Gerry, that's called looosing, or is it losing?
Do you call Brexit winning ?

Good old

Quote from: Barry on July 26, 2022, 12:14:44 PM
Losing what ? Is the only real question . The fear being losing is all any of us might be doing here.

Good old

I don't think the french much care, its a low priority for them. So what if the uk has waiting time at airports and ports. Its what you voted for, taking back control.
The irony. We have the control, yet the French call the tune. Does that work? Surely not.

cromwell

The Brits holiday and spend a lot in France,if they stop going they might care then.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on July 26, 2022, 11:50:58 AM
That's true, and "some" was practically 48% of those that voted.
† The end is nigh †

GerryT

Quote from: srb7677 on July 26, 2022, 11:10:48 AM
Some of us of course didn't vote for that but are still stuck with it.
That's true, and "some" was practically 48% of those that voted.