Tory leadership front runners

Started by srb7677, July 12, 2022, 12:22:18 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on July 26, 2022, 01:05:45 AM
You are living in a fantasy world. If the members somehow reverse the resignation of Johnson it will be an absolute gift to the Labour Party. Can you not see it is time to move on from him?
You think? I think the Conservatives having chosen the gift are busy now wrapping it up and adding the bow. This was wrong from the get go, they deserve whatever the electorate gives them in return. Sadly a turn left will send the country into a tailspin but I guess there are many who haven't experienced that before and need the stress.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on July 23, 2022, 04:49:33 PM
What if the employer changes your T's and C's, like making you pay for Tea and Coffee?

Or puts a letter on your desk on Sunday April 1st that says

"With effect from Monday April 2nd your conditions of employment are changed such that

1) you are promoted to the grade of "consultant" effective immediately.

2) your pay has increased by £1545 to £15,450

3) With immediate effect all overtime hours at your new grade are unpaid (at my old grade they were paid at time on weekdays, time and a third weekends)

4) You are expected to maintain your current workload and working hours (then 70 hours a week, making me the highest paid person in the building including the head of dept)

And the final kicker

5) With immediate effect your notice period is increased from one month to three months.

HR put this letter on everyone's desk on the Sunday where it would be read by everyone on the Monday. I was in the office on the Sunday preparing a set of mag tapes of the latest build of the radar system to take to the Navy on Monday morning.

I saw the creepy bugger from HR start creeping round handing these out, hid in the bog while they did, returned to read it, left the building after leaving a note for my boss on his desk, and resigned by telephone at 9am the next morning telling them I wasn't returning to the office and was taking their new terms to my solicitor.

My line manager was the only one who wasn't surprised.

Having told HR what they could do with their new contract, I rang the project manager and negotiated a deal

I ceased to be an employee of the shitholes three days later.

They actually sent a member of the board from the Manchester head office to conduct my exit interview. Either he was an actor worthy of an Oscar or was genuinely shocked at my reaction to their change my T&C's and the manner of its introduction without notice.

I "officially" left on Thursday April 5

Unknown to HR, the Project manager outsourced my job to my limited company, at an hourly rate five times my previous hourly salary, for three weeks while I did a proper wrap up and hand over.

I think about two thirds of the invoice was given to the landlord of a tavern up the road for the BBQ and free bar I set up for my "leaving do" on the Friday of the third week

I think everyone in the company at my boss's grade or below came to that leaving do and I was happy to pay the bill.

It was the start of 20 years as a freelancer, the first four being the busiest time of my life during John Majors' recession when I was rushed off my feet.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on July 23, 2022, 03:07:12 PM
At the lower end of the jobs heirarchy, especially with large employers, there's no scope for individuals to negotiate. The employer sets the pay grade, the hours and the conditions and if you argue against them the employer will choose a different candidate over you. If an individual asks for a pay rise when in-post, the answer will most likely be 'no'.  The person conducting job interviews is unlikely to have authority to alter your pay and conditions anyway. Things might be a bit different with small employers or if you're a more senior employee.
Fortunately for me the IT Director was one of those who interviewed me for the job at the bank, and in his closing remarks at the interview said and I quote

"The company pay review timetable means if I am offered the job I would miss out on the next year's (2021) pay review so he was going to offer the winning candidate the maximum (£45k) the board had set. That represented a 30% pay rise from the pissheads I had worked for over the previous two years who dropped the starting salary offer from £36k to £35k and failed to raise it to £36k on my passing the probation period as promised.

The (liberal democrat donating) company I'd worked at for the two years prior didn't give me a penny in pay rises and indeed the 2020 pay rise was the first I had received from anyone since 2008 when a software house run entirely by Pakistanis to whom I'd run like a fucking idiot after Brown's economic meltdown offered me a job at a £5k cut from what I'd been earning before.

There's a reason why my current employer has been number 1 in the great places to work survey five years running and none of my previous employers were anywhere in the top 100.

The attitude from the jerk I worked with at my previous employer, who had been a manager there for some years before being moved sideways, was that one should kiss the boss's shoes for being kept in a job.

Thank F@@@ the Chinese Pox has sent them into liquidation along with most others who had that attitude to their staff. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: T00ts on July 25, 2022, 10:19:37 PM
Interestingly the movement to allow Conservative members to vote if they accept Boris' resignation has reached over 10,000 and that's just from Conservative members. MPs report that their mail boxes are overflowing with irate members complaining about what has happened and even some MPs are now worrying that they have made a massive mistake. Only Starmer and possibly Tony Blair are cheering - oh and the Labour loving press of course.

As I said from the beginning this whole Boris saga seems to be a plot by Tony Blair. 

Labour isn't working.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on July 25, 2022, 10:19:37 PM
Interestingly the movement to allow Conservative members to vote if they accept Boris' resignation has reached over 10,000 and that's just from Conservative members. MPs report that their mail boxes are overflowing with irate members complaining about what has happened and even some MPs are now worrying that they have made a massive mistake. Only Starmer and possibly Tony Blair are cheering - oh and the Labour loving press of course.
You are living in a fantasy world. If the members somehow reverse the resignation of Johnson it will be an absolute gift to the Labour Party. Can you not see it is time to move on from him?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on July 22, 2022, 05:48:25 PM
You always come up with these cryptic clues - so what's the answer in your view?
Boris is busy, throwing imaginary hand grenades at his new found enemy, the Russians who are a bit peeved about being ethnically cleansed. All in the name of progress, they are just such a touchy lot now they have had their dollars taken away.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 23, 2022, 02:05:51 PM
Had I arrived at my view of Truss based simply on her gender, you may well have had a point.
I did'nt, so you don't.
I have not judged either based on the colour of their skin or gender, but indeed by what I have observed, over time, about the content of their character...
She is your typical politician says what she thinks you want to hear at the time and probably learnt long ago it will never happen, on the plus side she isn't bright enough to be as slippery as the other one. So, I guess she will have to rely on her skills of manipulation.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on July 23, 2022, 03:07:12 PM
At the lower end of the jobs heirarchy, especially with large employers, there's no scope for individuals to negotiate. The employer sets the pay grade, the hours and the conditions and if you argue against them the employer will choose a different candidate over you. If an individual asks for a pay rise when in-post, the answer will most likely be 'no'.  The person conducting job interviews is unlikely to have authority to alter your pay and conditions anyway. Things might be a bit different with small employers or if you're a more senior employee.
What if the employer changes your T's and C's, like making you pay for Tea and Coffee?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on July 22, 2022, 07:56:16 PM
😂 You're preaching to the wrong person here Gerry, I'd make unions illegal and strikes doubly so.
You sign a contract of employment and you honour it, unless it is in your contract there is no right to a pay rise.
Negotiate a better contract and stop complaining.
At the lower end of the jobs heirarchy, especially with large employers, there's no scope for individuals to negotiate. The employer sets the pay grade, the hours and the conditions and if you argue against them the employer will choose a different candidate over you. If an individual asks for a pay rise when in-post, the answer will most likely be 'no'.  The person conducting job interviews is unlikely to have authority to alter your pay and conditions anyway. Things might be a bit different with small employers or if you're a more senior employee.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 23, 2022, 02:05:51 PM
Had I arrived at my view of Truss based simply on her gender, you may well have had a point.
I did'nt, so you don't.
I have not judged either based on the colour of their skin or gender, but indeed by what I have observed, over time, about the content of their character...
I didn't accuse you but the picture. I would expect nothing less of you. My post was directed at those who created the original, and I was sad that it was deemed suitable to share for the reason stated. As far as the suitability of the candidates I have concerns as stated elsewhere. I just wonder how people in public life grow a skin thick enough to withstand the rotten stuff thrown at them in this 'enlightened' age. Boris too has had similar treatment and look where that has got us all.

Sampanviking

Quote from: T00ts on July 23, 2022, 01:41:24 PM
This sort of thing really isn't helpful. Truss is not dim and this picture smacks of misogyny and Sunak is wealthy but that doesn't preclude him from knowing his job. If it was a choice between him and others then his success in his own right is because he knows how to handle money which is something many in the electorate don't know. The trouble is that money is a dirty word to so many no matter how it is gained. Truss comes from more humble beginnings but has worked her way up. I guess there are some who stand that achievement up there to be knocked down just for fun, regardless of the disservice it does to those prepared to put themselves out there.
Who can blame the calibre of any public servant willing to serve others when such unkind bullying is deemed OK. As an electorate we get what we deserve.
I did'nt, so you don't.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 22, 2022, 07:56:16 PM😂 You're preaching to the wrong person here Gerry, I'd make unions illegal and strikes doubly so.
You sign a contract of employment and you honour it, unless it is in your contract there is no right to a pay rise.
Negotiate a better contract and stop complaining.
I'm no fan of unions either, but they have their place. I said striking employees, I never said why they were striking, wage increase is one reason, employment conditions are another and as you mention the holy grail, an employer not fulfilling a term in an employment contract is another. Are you suggesting that there are no reasons for an employee to strike ?

Quote from: Nick on July 22, 2022, 07:56:16 PMWhen you were interviewed for your job Gerry did you talk about salary, hours etc? Did you discuss the opportunities for advancement? Did you discuss annual pay rises: I bet you didn't discuss the latter, so why do you think you're entitled to one? Because things in your life got more expensive... Well guess what, things in your employers life got equally expensive, but they don't have a bunch of left wing trilobites whipping up tensions merely to collect more subs from gullible people like you. Look at how the NUM serviced their members, hung them out to dry like a set of dishcloths. Scargill had a net worth of over a million quid, hated more than Thatcher!!
No, annual pay rises weren't discussed, but were expected as would be by all most every employee. Without a cost of living increase then employees are getting an effective pay cut. Employers work on a % margin, an employer is not paying wages from his back pocket, those costs get passed on. But I wasn't talking about pay rises. I was talking about someone striking, there's many reasons for this. Stop trying to debate the validity of a person striking, unless you think there is no reason ?

Quote from: Nick on July 22, 2022, 07:56:16 PMBTW, P&O workers were sacked and replaced with Indian workers on £1.80 an hour, please explain how this illegal act is in anyway parallel to the U.K. law change?
What I was referring to is the hypocrisy of Mr. Kwarteng preaching about workers rights in the P&O case but then he and his cabal brings in a law that effectively removes a workers right to strike. Why strike, the employer just ships in replacement staff and keeps on going. He doesn't have to recognize a union and can leave things like that for as long as he wants. This may not affect high skilled workers but low skilled will be taken advantage of. It's a good reason to leave the EU though.
It's up there with the law changes affecting the right to protest, just another chipping away of peoples rights.

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 23, 2022, 01:26:44 PM
Saw this and I think it sums the choice up very nicely.......
This sort of thing really isn't helpful. Truss is not dim and this picture smacks of misogyny and Sunak is wealthy but that doesn't preclude him from knowing his job. If it was a choice between him and others then his success in his own right is because he knows how to handle money which is something many in the electorate don't know. The trouble is that money is a dirty word to so many no matter how it is gained. Truss comes from more humble beginnings but has worked her way up. I guess there are some who stand that achievement up there to be knocked down just for fun, regardless of the disservice it does to those prepared to put themselves out there. 
Who can blame the calibre of any public servant willing to serve others when such unkind bullying is deemed OK. As an electorate we get what we deserve.

Sampanviking

Saw this and I think it sums the choice up very nicely.......