Tory leadership front runners

Started by srb7677, July 12, 2022, 12:22:18 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2022, 03:30:05 PM
Doesnt drink and has consistantly voted for higher tax on alcohol is enough to remove him from Westminster on its own ;D

He has followed a political path that is best for Richi ,nothing else . On Brexit he was a fence sitter  a serial abstainer  until the result of the referendum after which he voted with the government .  There is nothing to suggest to me that he will not turn toward the EU if it suits him .

I can't see the tory faithful electing an Asian , especially a backstabbing one . It might be how they get power on the sub continent but its just not cricket and the members wont have any of it .  Rant
I am trying to keep an open mind at least until this evening when we see who is really running. It's not colour of skin that bothers me as much as the colour of their politics and past performances. Kemi Badenoch would have my vote for no other reason than her output today in the Times - printed on her Twitter account - seems refreshing although a tad lightweight. Whoever take this on is going to have to have the hide of a rhinoceros to withstand what will be thrown at them. Not just from the House but the whole of Whitehall as well as the country. We have little time for a honeymoon period with too many items coming to a head. I firmly believe that there is a war going on at present - Brexit/Remain/Whitehall Mandarins and all in between. I don't like Rishi at all and also worry that he will do whatever is good for him in political/social circles. He has been noticeably on manoeuvres from before he was Chancellor, and the word is out that MPs think he is the only one to win the next election whereas a poll of the public finds the opposite true. 
Conservative MPs need to get out to their constituencies and find out what they think - they may have a shock.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kemi+badenoch+twitter&oq=kemi&aqs=chrome.6.69i59j46i131i433i512j69i57j0i131i433i512j0i131i433l2j0i131i433i512j69i60.5437j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on July 12, 2022, 03:06:08 PM
Dunno. He does not smoke, drink, bonk everything in sight or crack jokes, so he is pretty much Boris Johnson with the fun removed. And he seems sound on Brexit. So I imagine he will do until a better man or lass turns up.
Doesnt drink and has consistantly voted for higher tax on alcohol is enough to remove him from Westminster on its own ;D

He has followed a political path that is best for Richi ,nothing else . On Brexit he was a fence sitter  a serial abstainer  until the result of the referendum after which he voted with the government .  There is nothing to suggest to me that he will not turn toward the EU if it suits him .

I cant see the tory faithful electing an Asian , especially a backstabbing one . It might be how they get power on the sub continent but its just not cricket and the members wont have any of it .   Rant

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2022, 02:34:05 PM
Not sure a dirty tricks campaign is needed , just the truth out will do . 

Dunno. He does not smoke, drink, bonk everything in sight or crack jokes, so he is pretty much Boris Johnson with the fun removed. And he seems sound on Brexit. So I imagine he will do until a better man or lass turns up.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on July 12, 2022, 02:22:45 PM
I wouldn't put money on any of them just yet.

Of the current top 4, Truss is the only one I'd actively work against, and that's because she seems to be attracting the support of the Dirty Tricks Brigade against Sunak...
Not sure a dirty tricks campaign is needed , just the truth out will do .  

patman post

I wouldn't put money on any of them just yet.

Of the current top 4, Truss is the only one I'd actively work against, and that's because she seems to be attracting the support of the Dirty Tricks Brigade against Sunak...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2022, 02:14:13 PM
The backstabber Sunak has no chance IMO .
Not so sure. These are not ordinary members of Joe Public making the decision, but in the first instance Tory MPs, and later Tory party members. Do either think like average joes?

If I were a betting man, my money would be staying firmly in pocket on this one.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on July 12, 2022, 01:45:41 PM
I regard the Independent as a much more reliable source than the Daily Mail, though the same polling evidence is available in the Express and the Metro.

I heard today that Shapps has dropped out and is now supporting Sunak.
The backstabber Sunak has no chance IMO .

patman post

Bookies.com ranks the top three in order
Sunak        13/8
Mordaunt     7/2
Truss           9/2

The implied probability, in order, is 38.1%, 22.22% and 18.18%...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

I regard the Independent as a much more reliable source than the Daily Mail, though the same polling evidence is available in the Express and the Metro.

I heard today that Shapps has dropped out and is now supporting Sunak.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Daily Mail (Last updated: 13:10 BST, 12 July 2022) has the top 4 as

• Rishi Sunak
  • Penny Mordaunt
  • Tom Tugendhat
  • Liz Truss
The Mail's the leading anti Sunak platform among the mainstream news media.

Although Truss was an ardent Remainer, she is picking up support and has been endorsed by Rees-Mogg and Dorries...

srb7677

It seems that in a poll of Tory party members, Penny Mordaunt and Kemi Badenoch are way out in front...

Mordaunt and Badenoch way out ahead in poll of Tory members | The Independent

Sunak is in a distant third place at the moment.

But we still have to see which candidates will get sufficient backing from their fellow MPs to progress.