Tory leadership front runners

Started by srb7677, July 12, 2022, 12:22:18 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on July 21, 2022, 08:58:56 AM
But the disadvantages are clear - the loss of EU citizenship and the rights that go with it, acute labour shortages that will take a long time to fill, still having to conform to EU regulations but with no say in their formulation.

What rights have you lost Ducky that you ever in your life used?
The labour shortage is global, I'm fairly sure I've pointed this out on many occasions, from Asia to the USA the situation is the same. What EU regulations do we HAVE to follow?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Not my idea originally, but I agree 100% with the originator of a comment elsewhere that to have Rishi replace Boris is like lying on your back in the adolescent wing of the hospital as Jimmy Saville departs having done his good deed for the month, only to hear the sound of a didgeridoo coming along the corridor.....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on July 21, 2022, 11:42:35 AM
Probably because she wasn't running for leadership of the Tory party back then.

But right now she is facing a largely Euro sceptic party that likes the idea tax cuts and she will take matters from there.
Or maybe when she actually had to talk to them during the leaving process she realised what a jumped up band of chancers they were and her lib dem beliefs of the past that obviously still lingered were a lie . 

In saying voting remain was a mistake she  puts her past to bed , if as Quackers suggests she says we should make the most of it ect  she doesn't cut the ties to her lib dem past and the membership , well some of them who are undecided might just go Sunak because of it .

Never trust a tory but given the choice I would go Truss  .  I would go anyone other than Sunak 

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 21, 2022, 12:00:09 PM
I don't necessarily think it a fault. She backed what she thought was right at the time but has changed because she recognises democracy in action. She also saw that Boris swept the board with his very pro Brexit stance and knows that being a remainer now is a total waste of time. Her actions in Cabinet since seem fairly convincing for now.
That apart Sunak is unblinking, literally, I can't not blink for as long as he does when he is talking to camera. It's a bit unnerving. In other circumstances it could be described as a death stare.

We shall see Toots.

So far Sunak has shown that he knows how to raise taxes and get into the pants of billionaires' daughters. Whether that is the required skill set the Tory party is looking for we shall discover come September :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on July 21, 2022, 11:42:35 AM

But right now she is facing a largely Euro sceptic party that likes the idea tax cuts and she will take matters from there.
I don't necessarily think it a fault. She backed what she thought was right at the time but has changed because she recognises democracy in action. She also saw that Boris swept the board with his very pro Brexit stance and knows that being a remainer now is a total waste of time. Her actions in Cabinet since seem fairly convincing for now. 
That apart Sunak is unblinking, literally, I can't not blink for as long as he does when he is talking to camera. It's a bit unnerving. In other circumstances it could be described as a death stare. 

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on July 21, 2022, 08:58:56 AM
I wonder why Liz Truss waits until now to claim she was wrong to back 'remain'.

Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

I wonder why Liz Truss waits until now to claim she was wrong to back 'remain'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

She claims "the doom didn't happen". Well, it's happening all around us - inflation, increasing poverty.  Conveniently, covid and Putin's war are also major factors that must share the blame for our economic situation with Brexit.  It's true that the economy didn't fall off a cliff edge on the day after Brexit but we're yet to see any of the claimed benefits from leaving the EU. But the disadvantages are clear - the loss of EU citizenship and the rights that go with it, acute labour shortages that will take a long time to fill, still having to conform to EU regulations but with no say in their formulation.

If Liz Truss admits to such a monumental misjudgment over something as important as our membership of the EU, how can her judgment on anything else be trusted?  Maybe she'll realise soon that she was wrong to claim that she was wrong to back remaining in the EU !!

Hopefully the media will pick up on this opportunist throw-away remark on such an important matter that shows she's unfit to be PM.

OK so it's generally a good thing if people are able to admit they were wrong, usually after some reflection and in the light of subsequent evidence. But this looks like a cynical political move to neutralise her past as a remainer.  Much better if she were to say something like: "I believed the UK would have been better off remaining in the EU but it wasn't to be and now we have to make the most of a future outside the EU." That would be more credible.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on July 21, 2022, 02:50:39 AM
Must have misread that one Barry. I'll be voting for Truss, and according to the polls  Sunak will not win.

I wonder if he's bribed the pollsters so his wife can make a killing on Paddy power ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 19, 2022, 10:04:40 AM
Me: "I take it we have some paid up members on the panel. Who will you be voting for then?"

Then I assume you mean you won't vote for the Tories under Sunak, if he wins, as you can't vote for him unless you are a member. After all the thread is about the Tory leadership race, not a General Election.
So, do forgive me for getting the wrong impression.
Must have misread that one Barry. I'll be voting for Truss, and according to the polls  Sunak will not win. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 20, 2022, 06:14:17 PMIts like being asked to decide between self immolation or ritual disembowelment
It's more of a feck you, both of them are likely to be replaced by the chancellor who oversaw it. Not that matters that much now anyway.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sampanviking

Reality transcends satire and its Sunak vs Truss

Its like being asked to decide between self immolation or ritual disembowelment......???

If I had a vote, it would be this:

https://twitter.com/gahamalian/status/1547585530593849346

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on July 20, 2022, 09:23:17 AM
We must be at the stage by now, where all sides of the Westminster party are threatening the voters with good things, they will like but never get.
Starmer already did that with his own membership, so we can be sure he will do it to the country.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

We must be at the stage by now, where all sides of the Westminster party are threatening the voters with good things, they will like but never get.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on July 19, 2022, 03:30:41 PM
Sorry Ollie. Was I mistaken and my post was not censored ?

Thank God. For a moment I thought you had cut out my bit about Sean and Hallowed being the same chap.
:)
Hallowed Brexit is obviously a windup merchant making fun out of mostly right wing Brexiteers by posting parody opinions that are deliberately exagerratedly comical. How he must laugh when some of you come along and agree with him, lol.

Sean appears to be a serious poster, albeit an easily pleased Labour tribalist.

They look like two different people to me.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on July 19, 2022, 03:20:04 PM
And I think you'll find you're pushing your luck.

Sorry Ollie. Was I mistaken and my post was not censored ?

Thank God. For a moment I thought you had cut out my bit about Sean and Hallowed being the same chap.
:)
Algerie Francais !