Tory leadership front runners

Started by srb7677, July 12, 2022, 12:22:18 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Good old on July 14, 2022, 09:46:39 AM, it's about  taking the party further to the right, and keeping it there.

Sounds good.

I like Boris, but in so far as be had any grasp of economics at all he wanted to do was spend my money on every sniveling layabout in sight.

What with everyone growing older and creakier, I can't see how the state can avoid raising taxes to keep the population alive and on its side, but Sunak is a frugal Hindu lad, so I expect that he will put up a decent rear guard action.
Algerie Francais !

Good old

Quote from: HDQQ on July 13, 2022, 11:38:38 PM
I actually said the same myself on here.  As a non-Tory, my concern was that a new PM might be more to the right than Johnson. 

If they can block Mordaunt, it will be. This isn't now all about Brexit, as was so often  said to be Johnson's great achievement , and the reason to stick with him, it's about  taking the party further to the right, and keeping it there.

Good old

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 14, 2022, 07:54:57 AM
To quote a mate of mine

This guy needs to rethink his campaign logo

Dancing Dancing

johnofgwent

To quote a mate of mine

This guy needs to rethink his campaign logo
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on July 13, 2022, 11:19:21 PM
I thought most Tory Party members wanted Johnson out.
You will I take it recall who opened the campaign to topple Thatcher and how it became a "stop him at all costs"  job to get Major in.

I'd like to think the Tory faithful would shy away from voting for a man who is going to enjoy £230 million of evaded tax only an Indian can evade.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on July 13, 2022, 11:38:38 PM
I actually said the same myself on here.  As a non-Tory, my concern was that a new PM might be more to the right than Johnson. 
As a non tory my concern is they wont be 

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 13, 2022, 11:24:52 PM
Not necessarily simply because there is not an obvious replacement and as the days pass the reasons become ever more clear. This is created by panic coupled with the ambitions of some who have been playing a game for a long time. They will rue the day.

There is no doubt that Sunak is a treacherous little shit, but then so are most politicians. And as Rees Mogg said, only a ....wit would drive money out of the country by raising Corporation Tax, but it looks as though we are stuck with the little bugger.

Or not.

The final choice of party leader will be made by the party membership. Most MPs can't count up to 21 with their trousers on, but the grassroots have a bit more savvy. Rishi is going to have a job selling his tax increases to them

Mod Notice
Edited to remove unacceptable language
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Quote from: T00ts on July 13, 2022, 11:24:52 PM
Not necessarily simply because there is not an obvious replacement and as the days pass the reasons become ever more clear. This is created by panic coupled with the ambitions of some who have been playing a game for a long time. They will rue the day.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: HDQQ on July 13, 2022, 11:19:21 PM

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on July 13, 2022, 10:02:18 PM
If Truss or Mordaunt get into the top 2 with Sunak he is toast. The members won't forgive his treachery.

HDQQ

Rees-Mogg has said he will refuse to serve in a government if Sunak is PM. Dancing

No Rees-Mogg in the cabinet. What's not to like !!!!

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on July 13, 2022, 10:02:18 PM
If Truss or Mordaunt get into the top 2 with Sunak he is toast. The members won't forgive his treachery.
I heard reported on LBC News today that polling of party members show that Sunak would lose against every single possible contender in the final two except Jeremy Hunt, and he isn't even standing anymore. Things can change but the membership do not seem to be digging him right now.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2022, 02:34:05 PM
Not sure a dirty tricks campaign is needed , just the truth out will do . 
What "truth" are you waiting for? 

Many of the "revelations" about the front runners are already known, and their relevance discounted. That's why much of the anti-briefings are based on innuendo, unsubstantiated smears, and additional conjecture on what's already known...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 12, 2022, 02:14:13 PM
The backstabber Sunak has no chance IMO .
I'd certainly like to think so. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.